Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT - NY & PA: Sticking It To The Patriots Since 1776!

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by bigjunk1, Mar 17, 2008.

1. bigjunk1

bigjunk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did anybody else watch "John Adams" on HBO last night? I though it was very well done.
    One thing that stuck out to me - and should have resonance to any Patriots fan - is how the New York and Pennsylvania delegates at the Continental Congress kept trying to give the shaft to the patriots fighting the British in Massachusetts! They wanted to make nice with King George and let him continue to wail on Boston!
    I guess I forgot much of the American history I was taught, because some of this stuff was very eye-opening.
    Those lousy New Yorkers didn't even sign up for the Lee Resolution - which was the original statement of independence from Great Britain. What a bunch of wimps!
  2. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Funny I had the EXACT same thought, particularly with regard to NY, curious if that long time city vs. city animosity was truly rooted in something so significant yet we never really heard it discussed as such!
  3. BrianPat

BrianPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That was a great show, I very much look forward to the rest !! I learned lots, didn't realize it was Ben Franklin that educated John Adams in the fine art of politics !!
  4. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My sense is that most of it is sports related, especially once you consider how culturally and socio-economically similar the cities are otherwise. I've always figured it started with sports and then seeped into other things, but I've never really looked that deep into it. It's an interesting question.
  5. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 3 / -1

That show was very well done, as good, probably better, than most movies. The bloated swine from NY was replusive to a true Patriot, you're right, but what I was reminded of sharply was how the Revolution was really all about money -
  6. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +868 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Much of this behaviour had its roots in the 7 years French & Indian war in the late 1750s. MA always contributed more than its share of troops while Penn had various excuses, Quaker pacifism, the Penn family land interests, etc. and NY was dominated by Govs seeking extraordinary profit from any cooperation in defense, ironic because the 'frontier' was just west of Albany.

Today's MA inhabitant behaves very differently.

Too cheap to pay for HBO.

-phil (former MA resident now a refugee in NH surrounded by 'other' MAholes)