Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Take a look at the NFL.com article below

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9891969

Shefter states:

No one play influenced this season -- and quite possibly many others in the years to come -- any more than Young's abracadabra act.

to argue that V Young gaining 18 yards and a 1st down is what led to TEN beating the Giants and is therefore THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PLAY out of 256 possible games with 1024 quarters of action and probably around 30,000 actual plays occurring during the year.

And this single play affecting 2 teams who ARE BOTH NOT GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS is the most important of the year.

yeah, right. Pardon me if I can't assume that even if NY didn't choke that week that they would have the following 5. So is he just an idiot, just trying to fill column space or just playing to the NY hoi polloi. (or am I making something out of nothing just cause I'm bored at work.)

It is futile to attempt to pick one play out of countless thousands over a season, but that's what journalists have to do unfortunately to fill the acres of space open to them for their musings. It needs something truly momentous - with both teams being the highest rated contenders and a moment that signals a definitive change in momentum for the season. And it is exceptionally rare for a moment like that to stand up - like Willie stuffing Edgerrin James at the line of scrimmage on the road in '03 - and I don't think every season has one.

I don't know if Schefter's right or not, and I don't think it matters. But it is a thoughtful choice. You're probably right Gumby, that the implosion of the Giants would have come sooner rather than later - there are problems at every level of the organisation.

But there was something symbolic about that moment. I think it marked a point of no return for the warring Giants. I think it also marked the moment when Vince Young emerged as the true leader of the Titans, as a guy who never gives up and gets it done. It also exposed the refereeing of the roughing the passer rules as ridiculous when a defender is worried about being called mid-sack. So it may help to reverse the invidious creep of over-protection.

Take a look at the NFL.com article below

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9891969

Shefter states:

to argue that V Young gaining 18 yards and a 1st down is what led to TEN beating the Giants and is therefore THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PLAY out of 256 possible games with 1024 quarters of action and probably around 30,000 actual plays occurring during the year.

And this single play affecting 2 teams who ARE BOTH NOT GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS is the most important of the year.

yeah, right. Pardon me if I can't assume that even if NY didn't choke that week that they would have the following 5. So is he just an idiot, just trying to fill column space or just playing to the NY hoi polloi. (or am I making something out of nothing just cause I'm bored at work.)

Don't the Giants get into the playoffs by beating Washington this week?

It is futile to attempt to pick one play out of countless thousands over a season, but that's what journalists have to do unfortunately to fill the acres of space open to them for their musings. It needs something truly momentous - with both teams being the highest rated contenders and a moment that signals a definitive change in momentum for the season. And it is exceptionally rare for a moment like that to stand up - like Willie stuffing Edgerrin James at the line of scrimmage on the road in '03 - and I don't think every season has one.

quote]

That was NOT even the most important play of that game. If Kiawanuka (?sp) holds onto VY on 4th down without fear of a roughing the passer call, Giants win that game, and probably make the playoffs..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back