PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Not good times for Simmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
His stuff is still OK once in awhile (usually Celtics/NBA stuff) but for the most part it grew stale a long time ago.

His columns are pretty much fomula stuff at this point. His personal stuff he weaves in have always probably been made up to an extent but they were hilarious. Now it is blatantly made up and more importantly usually not even funny.

There is probably only so long you can do what he did to get famous. A middle age man writing blogs and referring to other 40 year old men by college nicknames is destined to come off lame. He certainly has writing talent so a change of scenery to a completely different form (not sports) would probably do him a world of good.

People will agree and disagree about Simmons and his ability to connect to the same audience with the same formula, but the bolded part can't be disputed...the man can write, and if you don't think so read up on the Baylor peice he did a few months ago:
ESPN Page 2 - Simmons: The forgotten pioneer

His current formula can be debated, his relevance while with ESPN is certainly in question, but I'm of the mind that once he breaks free from what I believe to be a terrible corporation for talented writers he'll prove to be one of the best columnists in the country--if he wants to, that is.

Last edited:
Adding Rielly was definitely a slap in the face. I wonder why ESPN doesn't just let him go? Why muzzle him instead?

Because ESPN loves putting the screws to people and organizations, just ask Bob Kraft. ;)

He should just write elsewhere under a ghost name/pseudonym. Not as if it hasn't been done elsewhere over the years.

How do you know he hasn't/isn't?

Ha Ha, great point! Perhaps he has, though I haven't stumbled across anything that makes me think it's his work.

I made an exception to my vow of no-espn and checked out his last column. It was another NFL Power Ranking and offered next to zero football insight, and yet I found it to be enjoyable and worthwhile reading. And in a way, that's really Simmons at his best.

Can't disagree with everything written here. He is a much better basketball writer than a football one. His interest in the NFL is driven by his betting, moreso than his interest in the league or the Pats. But I still find him very entertaining and I read his column every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes