PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: nifty tactic by MN senate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine the vikings always get a healthy crowd. Blackouts aren't really an issue no?

I'd imagine the vikings always get a healthy crowd. Blackouts aren't really an issue no?

Aren't blackouts an NFL policy vs. a team option? But I doubt that would be a good thing for the team if the Vikings fail to sell out, which just might happen if capacity is increased in the new stadium. Whatever they build, I hope it's not another dome or roofed arena (though it probably will be). That team lost a lot of its original character when it moved indoors.

My bro in law, who lives in Minnesota and is a huge Vikings fan, called ranting and raving last night with all of the shenanigans that are occuring the legislature... apparently they keep adding amendments to the Senate version, which will need to be reconciled with the House version...

He told me that this all has to be done by next Wednesday, as the weekend following is the beginning of the fishing season and the legislature is mandated to complete their business by then..

Happy fishing..

I don't understand all of the negative comments at the end of that article. It seems perfectly reasonable.

If the public is going to put up the money for a private venue, then it shouldn't get penalized if all the tickets don't sell. If NE were playing the Vikings, the Vikings would be blacked out while NE and possibly the rest of the country gets to see the game played in the stadium funded by MN....seems fair enough to me. The NFL will put up a huge stink about this but it's hypocritical to broadcast any game to an audence at the exclusion of the audience that paid for the venue.

I'm suprised it hasn't come up sooner......

I have no problem with the govt getting what it can.

Kraft had no problems and was ready to drag thepats off to hartford and even if he wasn't, he had no problems playing that game.

Aren't blackouts an NFL policy vs. a team option? But I doubt that would be a good thing for the team if the Vikings fail to sell out, which just might happen if capacity is increased in the new stadium. Whatever they build, I hope it's not another dome or roofed arena (though it probably will be). That team lost a lot of its original character when it moved indoors.

I agree. I used to love those Minnesota teams with Bud Grant breathing smoke on the sideline. He had no heaters on the sideline. This team lost a lot of its character when it went in doors, not to mention a huge home field advantage.

You just never know what you are going to get with the people from Minnesota. I mean they elected Jesse "The Body" Ventura, a professional wrestler, to be Governor. They elected Al Franken, a supposed comedian and comedy writer, to the Senate. And they elect Michelle Bachman to congress. Still trying to figure that one out. But we elected the "Governator" here in Ca so we're no better.

Some of the comments see the Vikings coming to LA. I don't see an NFL team coming to LA. I used to go to both the Raider games and Rams games when they were out here and neither team sold out. The Coliseum is way too old and is not good for NFL football. One endzone is like 50 yards from the endzone seats. People here just don't show up on time for anything.

Last edited:
I think Blackouts are stupid anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the purpose was to stop local fans from watching a game on TV that the team could not sell out in the stadium as way to make those who want to watch have to by a ticket.

And I think this made sense in the past as in stadium revenue was key but TV money is so ridiculous now it would seem stupid to be blocking any TV viewers for any reason.

Although I'm fine with the idea of removing blackouts in theory, I really think they're playing with fire in Minnesota with all these amendments. The only thing to really stop the Vikings from moving to LA is public discord, and Minnesota keeps changing the deal. Is it just me, or are they super overplaying their hand?

At least if the Vikings leave, Minnesota will still be able to enjoy their Lakers.

I though blackouts were an FCC issue..

Aren't blackouts an NFL policy vs. a team option?
The senate rule is probably that if the situation arises where NFL rules would require a blackout, then the team would be forced to buy all the tickets or whatever else is required to prevent it.

I thought blackouts were an FCC issue..

It used to be that the NFL blacked out all home games, regardless of whether or not they were sold out. The public started to get tired of that policy and it looked like Congress was going to get involved. Richard Nixon - a big football fan - stepped in and gave Pete Rozelle a compromise. Basically he said that as long as the NFL did not blackout playoff games (so that he could watch the Redskins) he would veto any other legislation.

The FCC can review that legislation at any time.

As for the Vikings situation, the way I see it the state is telling the team that if they want public funds then games can't be blacked out: i.e., the team will buy up the remaining tickets. I think a lot of people are overlooking that and thinking they are attempting to force the NFL to change their television rules; that is not necessarily the case.

Although I'm fine with the idea of removing blackouts in theory, I really think they're playing with fire in Minnesota with all these amendments. The only thing to really stop the Vikings from moving to LA is public discord, and Minnesota keeps changing the deal. Is it just me, or are they super overplaying their hand?

At least if the Vikings leave, Minnesota will still be able to enjoy their Lakers.

If you are anti-stadium but don't want responsibility for the team moving, this is a good tactic. The team moves and you get to say "I tried, but they were just too greedy."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes