PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NFL non-Patriots cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL non-Patriots cuts

Jason LaConfora says the Broncos are shopping CB Alphonso Smith for a 5th

Amazing. And he looked SO good in the Senior Bowl...

OT on this OT thread, but Ed Reed to the PUP, which means the Pats won't see him in the regular season.

Cards cuts:

* TE Anthony Becht
* LB Stevie Baggs
* LB Monty Beisel
* T Herman Johnson
* T Tom Pestock
* LB Cody Brown
* DE Jeremy Clark
* DE John Fletcher
* CB Trevor Ford
* WR Ed Gant
* WR Mike Jones
* WR Onrea Jones
* CB Justin Miller
* G Jonathan Palmer
* FB Charles Scott
* WR Isaiah Williams

LB Gerald Hayes (back) was placed on PUP, meaning he’ll miss the first six weeks. And LB Mark Washington was waived/injured

I'm confused #37 overall in 2009 draft. Is it the attitude, how do they know he is a complete bust already?

For the Broncos, that pick was actually the #14 overall in 2010! Horrible. I don't have any scoop on what happened in Denver, but fwiw here's something I wrote before the 2009 draft:

"I love A. Smith's ball skills and field awareness, but I have regretfully crossed him off my 1st-round value list.

I'm ok with short CBs. I'm even ok with short CBs without fabulous straight-line speed. But when a short guy with average speed also puts up average numbers on the cone, shuttle, and vertical, the time comes to worry, IMO. Quickness and leaping ability are what the little guys usually rely on most."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...alphonso-smith-darius-butler.html#post1323516

Even so, I didn't think he'd be a bust, just a limited player.

For the Broncos, that pick was actually the #14 overall in 2010! Horrible. I don't have any scoop on what happened in Denver, but fwiw here's something I wrote before the 2009 draft:

"I love A. Smith's ball skills and field awareness, but I have regretfully crossed him off my 1st-round value list.

I'm ok with short CBs. I'm even ok with short CBs without fabulous straight-line speed. But when a short guy with average speed also puts up average numbers on the cone, shuttle, and vertical, the time comes to worry, IMO. Quickness and leaping ability are what the little guys usually rely on most."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...alphonso-smith-darius-butler.html#post1323516

Even so, I didn't think he'd be a bust, just a limited player.

Your points make sense and I can see why now. Interesting the board was almost split on him and butler.

Not a cut in a sense but the Cowboys traded WR Patrick Crayton to the Chargers for a conditional 2011 7th rnd pick and traded OG/T Pat McQuistan to the Dolphins for a 2011 6th rnd pick. Tony Sparano was with the Cowboys when McQuistan was drafted and was his OL coach but this seems like an odd move for the Cowboys since they have several injuries on the OL. Maybe a trade for Mankins in the works??

WOW.

Along with Cody Brown, that's TWO 2009 Second Rounders, ALREADY cut loose!! :eek:

Cody Brown was beyond bad. I seriously have no idea why he was taken in the 2nd round.

Even if they cut him, he is still guaranteed the 7 mil this year. Hypothetically somebody could sign him for 1.5 mil and Seattle is still on the hook for the remaining 5.5 mil. I think the niners should take a look at him, what a way to get a solid WR to go with crabtree and stick it to an opposing rival with the contract.

Yes, but if they cut him they a) get out of the remaining years (less than half of the contract is guaranteed) and b) they save some money. The point is that nobody else would be willing to assume the remaining years of his contract by trading for him.

Cody Brown was beyond bad. I seriously have no idea why he was taken in the 2nd round.

"Beyond bad"? That is a pretty strong statement. He was taken in the 2nd round based on his 18.5 sacks and 33 tfl in his last two years at Connecticut. He was all-big east and showed fairly well at the combine. Most publications had him between the early 3rd and mid 4th round. The cardinals took him two spots earlier. Unfortunately for him, he was hurt a lot.

Beyond bad at what?

He was injured badly early last preseason.

Are you saying he was beyond bad this preseason, so they cut a second rounder?

Who is doing the drafting there? This kid was never a 4-3 backer.

He's a 260 pound rush DE in a 4-3.

He was never asked to cover TEs in college.

Cards cuts:

* TE Anthony Becht
* LB Stevie Baggs
* LB Monty Beisel
* T Herman Johnson
* T Tom Pestock
* LB Cody Brown
* DE Jeremy Clark
* DE John Fletcher -- Box_O_Rocks Practice Squad shopping list candidate.
* CB Trevor Ford
* WR Ed Gant
* WR Mike Jones
* WR Onrea Jones
* CB Justin Miller
* G Jonathan Palmer
* FB Charles Scott
* WR Isaiah Williams

LB Gerald Hayes (back) was placed on PUP, meaning he’ll miss the first six weeks. And LB Mark Washington was waived/injured
spaghetti.gif

I just read that the Eagles have cut Stacy Andrews.

That's one that might be worth looking at.

I just read that the Eagles have cut Stacy Andrews.

That's one that might be worth looking at.

He's also about 30 pounds heavier than our average guard. I'm guessing he lacks ideal mobility for all the screens and stuff.

Cards cuts:

* TE Anthony Becht
* LB Stevie Baggs
* LB Monty Beisel
* T Herman Johnson
* T Tom Pestock
* LB Cody Brown
* DE Jeremy Clark
* DE John Fletcher
* CB Trevor Ford
* WR Ed Gant
* WR Mike Jones
* WR Onrea Jones
* CB Justin Miller
* G Jonathan Palmer
* FB Charles Scott
* WR Isaiah Williams

Hey, the cards cut the immortal Monty Beisel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing