PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NFC Executive: "2014 TE Class Not Good At All"

JMC00

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
“It’s not good at all,” the “personnel man” told Eckel about the 2014 class. “I wish it was. But it’s not. It’s actually a bad year for tight ends. There’s nobody even close to (2013 Cincinnati Bengals first-round pick Tyler) Eifert. (Philadelphia Eagles 2013 second-rounder Zach) Ertz is better than these guys.”

The scouting director called consensus No. 1 tight end Eric Ebron “a pain in the (butt)” who’s “completely overrated.” He said projected second-round Washington product Austin Seferian-Jenkins is “more overrated and a bigger pain in the (butt) than (Ebron)” and Texas Tech’s Jace Amaro is “a glorified possession slot receiver. He can catch the ball, but he’s not real tough.”

The executive called Iowa’s C.J. Fiedorowicz, who has drawn heavy interest from the Patriots a “So-so, good No. 2 guy for you, if you have a good starter and you play a lot of two tight-end stuff.” Eckel also talked to an NFC scout and an AFC executive in personnel who weren’t so down on the class.

NFL?s 2014 Tight End Draft Class ?Not Good At All,? NFC Executive Says | NFL Draft | NESN.com

I take it that he considers Niklas the best of the bunch.

I keep saying the "highly rated" TEs remind me, not of Gronkowki, but rather Hoomanawanui. That is this scout's opinion too, apparently.

Do you want to lineup with a pair of Hoomanawanui. ????

Of course they're not Gronkowski. But the top 4-5 TE are not Hoomanawanui.

I agree with him on CJ and Amaro. I don't think Ebron and ASJ are overrated but they very well could be pains in the butt and of course he could be blowing smoke to de-value the position.

I don't think any of them should go in the first but the top 4 TE's should all be gone by the middle of the 3rd round, the pats don't need a starting TE they just need a TE that can catch more then Hoomanawanui's 17 rec in two years with 16 starts. so the pats could Draft one late and still have a upgrade

The end of the article says that two other execs weren't as down as that one, so take from that what you may.

I don't think any of them should go in the first but the top 4 TE's should all be gone by the middle of the 3rd round, the pats don't need a starting TE they just need a TE that can catch more then Hoomanawanui's 17 rec in two years with 16 starts. so the pats could Draft one late and still have a upgrade

I disagree, i think a 2nd top flite TE is really necessary for them to do what they really want to do offensively but it simply may not be available for them. I have wanted a TE high in this draft for a while but if they don't like the prospects they should stay away from them and address other needs. There are going to be really good prospects for them at 29 no matter how the first round falls so they can get themselves a prospect that can contribute next season at a number of needs. Louis Nix DT, Scott Crichton DE, Ryan Shazier LB, Xavier Sua-Filo OG, Stephen Tuitt DL, and one of the WR's who eventually drops, Beckham, Lee, Cooks....etc..come draft day one will fall and be there.

Saw this earlier, I think Amaro will bust that's my strongest feeling about the class. I also think ASJ is a little overrated he essentially won the Mackey award by default. I'm glad he isn't looking like a 1st rounder like a lot of places were saying initially.

I wrote that I was down on the TEs a month ago. Ebron is a WR, practically. ASJ has quite a bit of dog in him, doesn't play to the whistle. Nicklas has stone hands and doesn't look that explosive. Amaro scares the hell out of me with how discombobulated he looks.

I'd take Ebron around the Patriots' range just because he's big and talented but he would not be considered a coup at 29.

I'm not too worried about his assessment of the class -- I think it was pretty apparent that it's not a great TE year. But his description of individual players as “a pain in the (butt)” does concern me. I know ASJ had some off-field issues, but FOOTBALL character is a whole different thing.

Meanwhile the receiver class is the strongest in years. Hmm.

I'm not too worried about his assessment of the class -- I think it was pretty apparent that it's not a great TE year. But his description of individual players as “a pain in the (butt)” does concern me. I know ASJ had some off-field issues, but FOOTBALL character is a whole different thing.

WR class is the strongest I have ever seen it in 35 years of following the draft.

Watkins, Evans, Lee, Beckham, Cooks, Moncrief, Richardson, Davante Adams, Matthews, Allen Robinson, Benjamin, Landry

That's 12 guys worthy of at least the second round.

The "Hmm" part to me is that we have more of a need at TE than WR (not saying the WR crew was the answer but it's better than a rehabbing Gronk and HooMan), the draft is stronger at WR and, yet, we didn't sniff TE at all in FA. Not saying the likes of Pettigrew, Chandler, et al, were great but we seemingly showed no interest.

WR class is the strongest I have ever seen it in 35 years of following the draft.

Watkins, Evans, Lee, Beckham, Cooks, Moncrief, Richardson, Davante Adams, Matthews, Allen Robinson, Benjamin, Landry

That's 12 guys worthy of at least the second round.

And it keeps on going, too. Incredible depth. I saw Kevin Norwood listed one place as the 33rd-best WR!

Here's a prediction: It's the end of round 2. BB & co. go luxury shopping and pick up a WR like Jordan Matthews who would have been a borderline 1st rounder in a different year. By their next pick all of the "name" TEs are gone and they focus on defense.

Analysts start falling all over themselves to claim that this is a "Josh McDaniels draft," and that the selections show that McDaniels has swayed BB to return to more of a spread offense. But really, it's just the way the draft set up. They're following the talent.

They ought to kick the tires on Justin Perillo...

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back