PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: New RFA Compensation levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading Miguel's Free Agency page when I stumbled across an interesting tidbit. That tidbit is the new RFA compensation levels.

Here they are as posted on Miguel's:

• $850,000 = original draft pick compensation (but a second-rounder if the player was a first-round pick)
  • $1.3 million = second-round pick
  • $1.85 million = first-round pick
  • $2.35 million = first- and third-round picks
The 2nd round pick level is new to this CBA. As is the change in the lower level compensation pick stuff.

That is very interesting, a little different that years past. It should minimize the number of RFAs being signed by other teams, I believe it is a very low number to start with but should be even lower now.

I think this helps the Pats if they decide to re-sign Randall Gay. I would slot him at the 1.3 range and try to work out a 2-3 year deal. If anyone wants him for more than the Pats want to pay they get good value, a #2 pick for someone who was not even drafted.

I was reading Miguel's Free Agency page when I stumbled across an interesting tidbit. That tidbit is the new RFA compensation levels.

Here they are as posted on Miguel's:

• $850,000 = original draft pick compensation (but a second-rounder if the player was a first-round pick)
  • $1.3 million = second-round pick
  • $1.85 million = first-round pick
  • $2.35 million = first- and third-round picks
The 2nd round pick level is new to this CBA. As is the change in the lower level compensation pick stuff.

That is very interesting, a little different that years past. It should minimize the number of RFAs being signed by other teams, I believe it is a very low number to start with but should be even lower now.

I think this helps the Pats if they decide to re-sign Randall Gay. I would slot him at the 1.3 range and try to work out a 2-3 year deal. If anyone wants him for more than the Pats want to pay they get good value, a #2 pick for someone who was not even drafted.

Honestly, since the Pats will have the right to MATCH any offer, I see Gay being given the minimum tender. I don't see them offering up 1.3 million. Not with only 1 good year and 2 injury years under his belt. But, the way things have changed and with the amount of money out there, they may do it.

Honestly, since the Pats will have the right to MATCH any offer, I see Gay being given the minimum tender.
Having the right to match an offer doesn't mean anything. Givens probably would have stayed had the Pats matched the Titans offer.

Matching is only meaningful if you are willing to pay as much as the biggest spending team in the league is willing to pay. There is always one team will to go bonkers for any given player, as the Titans did with player Givens. So far, the Pats haven't shown to be that loose with the cash.

A one year tender makes sense if they want to have him for one more year.

Honestly, since the Pats will have the right to MATCH any offer, I see Gay being given the minimum tender. I don't see them offering up 1.3 million. Not with only 1 good year and 2 injury years under his belt. But, the way things have changed and with the amount of money out there, they may do it.

Can they rescind the offer? Use the tender as leverage and then pull it back if a deal can't be worked out? Tha danger of a the lower level offer is that you may end up with nothing... in any case we are talking about the 4th or 5th CB on the team, only topical because of how thin they are at CB (if Samuel leaves).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes