PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: New QB to Watch For: Josh Johnson, TB Bucs

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
The Bucs just benched Leftwich despite doing pretty well in two games. They are promoting 2nd year QB Josh Johnson to starter, who I think is going to be known around the league in the next year or two.

I thought QB Johnson was better than O'Connell coming out of the same draft. Johnson played at SD, while O'Connell played at SD State. Johnson had a year in college where he threw 43 TD's, 1 int. Read that line again.

I think he is going to become what everyone thought Mike Vick was going to become. He is ridiculous with his legs, but also has the brains/vision behind his enormous arm strength.

He could become the next great pocket QB who can also scramble. Think Mike Vick who can also pass. Think Randall Cunningham with better vision.

[edit - I thought I posted this in the general NFL forum, not sure why it's on the main forum]

Last edited:
Johnson is nowhere near ready.

Freeman is the backup now. Johnson is the 6'3, 210 starter now who is a freak of nature who flew under the radar playing in DII.

Regardless of how well Johnson plays I would think he is just keeping the seat warm for Freeman. Whether it's later this year of the beginning of next year, it's just a matter of time before they give their first round pick a chance. Johnson will have to play absolutely lights out to keep the starting job for very long, and considering the (lack of) talent he's surrounded with, it's not very likely that will happen.

I'd have to reread scouting reports on him.

But 43-1 is a good indication he might be okay.

Depends on the offense he ran, though. How simple were his reads, how many of his touchdown throws had long YACs attached to them?

The Bucs just benched Leftwich despite doing pretty well in two games.

ummm, Mav, I watched their first two games, and Leftwich looked aweful. Im not sure what you were seeing, but his mechanics were aweful. He couldnt hit crap, and was making some really bad decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes