PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Mr. "Classy " LT will play 1 more year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they didn't, I agree 100%. The Pats have hardly played LdT. The guy just hit the wall, and I agree with you that I've never seen a RB slow down so quickly.

Re-watching SB36, I do think that the Pats took something off of Marshallfaulker's career. They absolutely destroyed him that game. It's no wonder he's still so bitter towards the Pats.

Clinton Portis, Shuan Alexander and Priest Holmes come to mind, It happens with RBS

Last edited:
Clinton Portis, Shuan Alexander and Priest Holmes come to mind, It happens with RBS

You may be right, I just think of how amazing LdT was (we all admitted that even when he was being a douche) to such a non-factor, and from here it felt like it happened overnight.

heh..you should have seen how fast it happened to John Stephens

How dare you insinuate that LT is a non-factor ! The greatest RB, nay, HUMAN of our generation - or ANY generation ! Don't listen to them LT...

Three separate issues. Holmes was almost paralyzed, Alexander had a broken foot and Portis has a severe concussion. I think Portis has another year are two left- especially with the Shanahan offense coming back in.

To your point, it happens quick. But their bodies told them to stop.

Then you have guys like Tiki Barber, Barry Sanders and Robert Smith who walked away, but could have ran another 800 carries each.

Last edited:
heh..you should have seen how fast it happened to John Stephens

That's right. Didn't he end up getting turned into a FB?

I have a theory about him actually. In 1989, the Pats played the 49ers in SF. Stephens had the ball and ran right at a DB named Jeff Fuller head-on. Fuller suffered a severe spinal injury. He retired from the game, but I do believe that he has full use of his arms and legs.

IMO, Stephens never ran "hard" after that game. Could be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Three separate issues. Holmes was almost paralyzed, Alexander had a broken foot and Portis has a severe concussion. I think Portis has another year are two left- especially with the Shanahan offense coming back in.

Then you have guys like Tiki Barber, Barry Sanders and Robert Smith who walked away, but could have ran another 8000 carries each

I agree with everything except the 8000 carries part... that's almost twice as many carries as Emmitt had in his career! I'm sure you meant 800 carries each, to which I'd agree if it was combined. But individually, that's four extra seasons of 200 carries, and that doesn't happen to RB's in or entering their 30's.

I agree with everything except the 8000 carries part... that's almost twice as many carries as Emmitt had in his career! I'm sure you meant 800 carries each, to which I'd agree if it was combined. But individually, that's four extra seasons of 200 carries, and that doesn't happen to RB's in or entering their 30's.

LOL. 8000 carries..OMG :p

Fixed my post....

Last edited:

nah..he turned into Leonard Russell
icon10.gif

I'll never forget LT in the playoffs sitting on the bench in the cold with his helmet on because of a little boo boo while his QB was on the field fighting his ass off with a partially torn ACL.

Then you have guys like Tiki Barber, Barry Sanders and Robert Smith who walked away, but could have ran another 800 carries each.

Even before Clinton Portis was hurt he wasnt producing, same goes for Alexander. LT has been banged up as well, he missed the first two games of the season with an ankle injury and even though he says he was healthy I dont know how he really could be. Running backs break down, sometimes its a freak injury other times its just over time. Tiki, Barry, and Robert walked away before they were broken down.

Some people just don't know when to let go do they. LT, despite his earlier success and being used in touchdown scenarios this season is a shell and now an injury prone prima donna taking away carries from Sproles to service his own ego.

Disagree with the last ten words. Sproles is too small to run effectively between the tackles and L.T. is the best option they have for that. He may be a prima donna, but I don't think that he's taking away carries from Sproles.

The Chargers made an infinitely bad decision to retain Tomlinson instead of re-signing Turner. That's why I always laugh when Charger fans use Tomlinson's injury as an excuse for the 2007 AFCCG loss to the Pats. The fact of the matter is, at that point L.T. was only better than Michael Turner in name and that was about it. Turner was a much better option than L.T. was for the Chargers in that game.

Disagree with the last ten words. Sproles is too small to run effectively between the tackles and L.T. is the best option they have for that. He may be a prima donna, but I don't think that he's taking away carries from Sproles.

The Chargers made an infinitely bad decision to retain Tomlinson instead of re-signing Turner. That's why I always laugh when Charger fans use Tomlinson's injury as an excuse for the 2007 AFCCG loss to the Pats. The fact of the matter is, at that point L.T. was only better than Michael Turner in name and that was about it. Turner was a much better option than L.T. was for the Chargers in that game.
Oh definitely. I agree that Turner is a massive loss for the Chargers. However regarding LT and Sproles, you can design plays to maximise the impact of a player's skillset, of which Sproles has in bucketloads.

Oh definitely. I agree that Turner is a massive loss for the Chargers. However regarding LT and Sproles, you can design plays to maximise the impact of a player's skillset, of which Sproles has in bucketloads.

He has bucketloads of speed and manueverability. The plays that are best for him are counter plays going outside the tackles, screen plays, and quick dump-offs to the flats. Give him space and he's great. Make him run between the tackles and he's just about ineffective.

Even before Clinton Portis was hurt he wasnt producing, same goes for Alexander.

That whole 'Skins offense was a dry heave. Not ready to throw Portis down the disposal yet. You could be right. He is only 28, but with a ton of miledge. Alexander was a little different. Seahawks lost Hutchinson in FA. That killed them. Walter Jones was hurt too. That line sucked in 06 and on top of that he broke his foot early in the year. In 07 hr broke his wrist then Mack Strong- his FB blew out his neck. But, yea he was cooked at 30. I don wonder if Hutchinson, Jones and Strong were healthy how he may have turned out. Not much better is my guess.

LT has been banged up as well, he missed the first two games of the season with an ankle injury and even though he says he was healthy I dont know how he really could be. Running backs break down, sometimes its a freak injury other times its just over time. Tiki, Barry, and Robert walked away before they were broken down.

LT is just done. Just watching him Sun he doesn't have that 2nd gear anymore. Their line may not be as good as 06, but still.

Agreed on LT/Turner. LT was still LT in 07 but everyone and their brother knew Turner was ready for prime time after the 06 season.

He has bucketloads of speed and manueverability. The plays that are best for him are counter plays going outside the tackles, screen plays, and quick dump-offs to the flats. Give him space and he's great. Make him run between the tackles and he's just about ineffective.
Yeah, which comes down to my comment regarding Sproles. Is it necessary to run traditional packages for him, when you could perhaps run what makes the best of his abilities?

That said, you'd probably need a bruising back to help carry the load, but personally I would give the ball more to Sproles than LT in his current form.

Agreed on LT/Turner. LT was still LT in 07 but everyone and their brother knew Turner was ready for prime time after the 06 season.
Indeed. The succession planning wasn't employed at the Bolts.

Yeah, which comes down to my comment regarding Sproles. Is it necessary to run traditional packages for him, when you could perhaps run what makes the best of his abilities?

That said, you'd probably need a bruising back to help carry the load, but personally I would give the ball more to Sproles than LT in his current form.

Then the Chargers should just abandon the run altogether if they do/did that. Opponents would know that Sproles wouldn't be going up the middle. At least with L.T., though he may be ineffective, the defense can't just key in on where he would run as he can go both ways. But yeah, L.T. is definitely done this year. The same thing that happened with Alexander after he left Seattle will happen to him... nothing. I really cannot see anybody picking him up. I personally am looking for San Diego to draft Dwyer this year.

I love Sproles but you are right. Hes not a 200 carry guy. In my limited viewing of the guy I like Hester. Runs hard. Just needs the time to see what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back