PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Most improved college player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know it's a little early in the season but is there any player in college football that has really stood out to you as being much better than expected?

For me, it has to be Texas senior RB Selvin Young. He's struggled with injuries through his career and while he was never a terrible back, he never really wowed you either. Gbnreport.com ranked him at #32 among RBs for this draft before the season started.

He has been incredible so far. He's dropped about 15 lbs. and more than once I've said to myself "Nice run Jammal," (Sophmore speedster Jammal Charles) only to see it was Young instead. He is so much quicker this season it's scary. He's a completely different player.

I'm not saying he's going to be a 1st rounder or anything but if he stays healthy and continues to play the way he has, he may have gone from undrafted free agent to Day 1 pick.

This wouldn't qualify as an improved player, but the best new player on the college scene HAS to be Steve Slaton of WVU. That kid looks like he can do every bit of what Reggie Bush did at USC.

Sundayjack said:
This wouldn't qualify as an improved player, but the best new player on the college scene HAS to be Steve Slaton of WVU. That kid looks like he can do every bit of what Reggie Bush did at USC.

And he had a little extra incentive this past week against Maryland. They offered him a scholarship and he verbally committed, only to have them withdraw the scholarship offer before they had 'too many" running backs..
He hooked on at WV but made it known he wanted to show Maryland what they missed.
With Brady Quinn hurting himself with his performance against Michigan,
if others falter, he could be a leadibng Heisman candidate if he continues on this pace......I know it's still early but.....

I think Chad Henne is someone to keep an eye on. He was great as a freshman, had a soph slump. But if he rebounds this year and next he will be a very high draft pick.

Patsfanin Philly said:
And he had a little extra incentive this past week against Maryland. They offered him a scholarship and he verbally committed, only to have them withdraw the scholarship offer before they had 'too many" running backs..
I didn't know that. Interesting.

Well, in a way you expected it with the offensive talent around him and no longer having to split time but Troy Smith seems to have made the Vince Young-type leap from playmaking athlete to good QB. Ohio State sure looks good this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back