Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Miss Deaf Texas struck by train, killed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/14/beauty.queen.death.ap/index.html

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The reigning Miss Deaf Texas died after being struck by a train, officials said.

Tara Rose McAvoy, 18, was walking Monday near railroad tracks when she was struck by a Union Pacific train, authorities said.

A witness told Austin television station KTBC the train sounded its horn right up until the accident occurred.

McAvoy, who had been deaf since birth, won the state title in June and represented the state "with dignity and pride," state pageant director Laura Loeb-Hill told The Associated Press via e-mail Monday night.

2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I've got no problem with it, but I'm just really confused why this is pertinent for a political forum.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

My mistake, Pujo. I should have put OT (which I have now done).
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -9

Patters, I respect your post and if that deaf girl were my daughter I would also want to die.
    I have a question though, and I hope the "Neo Con Haters" won't try to make something out of it.

The article says the girl was walking near the tracks, she had to be "Awfully Near" to get hit by the train, "Why was a deaf girl walking on live railroad tracks"? is there more to the story or was it just a "Bad Mistake Accident"

I find it hard to believe she wasn't taught to "stay off tracks" if she couldn't hear Trains.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately kids don't always have the best judgement. It's tragic all around, especially for her family and friends, but also for the conductor who couldn't do anything to stop the train in time (it can take several miles for a train to come to a full stop)
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

It struck me as a strange, ironic story. Why was she near the tracks? Was she making some kind of statement? Was it a cry? Or was it simply a mistake? It's all very curious to me.
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -9

I understand, when we were kids we were told not to dive off the BU Bridge Trestle but we always did, all summer. Pujo is right it takes a long time for a train to stop, when you see photos of vehicles being struck at crossings the Engineer knew at times what was coming a 1/2 mile away.
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

I'm wondering how she didn't feel the vibrations. With her heightened senses you would think she would feel the vibrations from the ground or tracks. Every kid walks the tracks at some time or other, not to mention putting down a penny.
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Don't get it. Was she blind too ? Or was it too dark to see ? In which case why is a deaf person out walking in the middle of the night when something bad has a good chance to happen. And trains have lights anyway.

Doesn't add up.
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/15/national/main1408466.shtml

"Gene Mirus, a deaf studies instructor at Gallaudet, the nation's leading university for the hearing-impaired, told the Austin American-Statesman that many deaf people who think they can detect approaching trains by their vibrations are mistaken — that contrary to what many people think, there are no vibrations on railroad tracks. "

I would have thought there would be vibrations, too, but I guess not.
  11. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

George W. Bush killed her.

He wont even send his own daughters near train tracks that yellow bellied coward!
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -9

Yup :rocker: :singing: :bricks: