Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Mike Shanahan balls of steel

Discussion in 'Visiting Locker Room' started by pheenix11, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I was just watching some NFL Network highlights and they showed the end of the DEN/SD game. DEN got a TD to make it 37-36 and if they kicked the extra point it would have been tied and they would have gone to OT.

Instead Shanahan went for 2 and they made it and won by 1 point.

That takes some jumbo sized balls.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I'm guessing he did it because the Chargers were reeling from getting f*cked up the ass two plays earlier. I wanted Denver to win but that was disgusting. Hochuli should voluntarily not be paid for the travesty he imposed on the league today.
  3. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Maybe he figured he was playing with house money anyways LOL
  4. jgpatriot

jgpatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think he was telling Norv Turner "Look, we know got a gift with the non-fumble but all you have to do is stop 2pt conversion and you win. No whining after the game. Just man up now and win this play".

Well, Norv and the Chargers chose to whine instead of winning the game.:p
  5. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

How was that not a fumble? Anyway I won my office pool thanks to that game, 130 dollars richer tomorrow. But yeah, I loved the call, just like the title of the thread. Balls of steel.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Because the numb nut ref blew the whistle and called it incomplete making the play dead immediately.
  7. Aldogg

Aldogg Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

From what I was reading, there was a play earlier when the Chargers got hosed but they couldn't replay because of equipment issues.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Yeah, that cost them a TD too. If that happened to the Patriots I can't imagine what I would have done. I hate the Chargers but . . .
  9. SmokeShowin

SmokeShowin Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It was a non-reviewable play anyway. It was considered a simultaneous catch. They said even if the equipment was working, the ref couldn't review it.
  10. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I watched that game and Cutler threw an errant throw in Denver's series before that series and threw a pick to Antoine Cason in the chargers end zone that would have all but ended SDs chances so when Denver was able to get the ball back, Shanahan decided to give Cutler the all time big confidence factor by not only having him have to throw on 4th down for the winning TD but win it with a 2 pointer throw
    - He did it to inflict confidence in his young QB and no better way then to show confidence in his QB abilities than to go for the win which may go along ways in Cutler's confidence this season

Cutler has guts too and showed it today,I like the kid and the fact he has a destructive disease like Diabetes playing a game as demanding as this makes him a guy you have to like a bit

Plus Shanahan is one of the smartest coaches in the game second to Belichick and his decision was a smart one of the sake of his QB

I think if Cassel is in the same situation down the road BB does similar
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  11. jsho

jsho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I really dont like San Diego but I feel bad for them. They got screwed over, plain and simple.
  12. rockthecasbah

rockthecasbah Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Agreed. As much as I hate the Broncos at times, I've always liked Cutler.
  13. Schmo

Schmo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kind of off topic, but I work at a restaurant in Denver and his wife called in an order for take out tonight... not that I was really excited or anything.
  14. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

yep sd got royally screwed over today

if you saw the first screw job in the 1st half, you'd know it wasn't a simultaneous catch, chambers had the ball and was downed and champ then stripped it out

funny how the replay equipment broke down for that one play, and funny how the ref blows a whistle on a fumble lol

even if the ref thought it was a pass attempt...the ball went backwards

what competent ref blows a whistle in that situation? a gambling one lol
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I don't care that he's one of the highest ranking refs, he'd be taking (at least) a one week unpaid vacation if I were the Commissioner.
  16. BRiZ

BRiZ Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

i wish Dan Pees had at least 1/8th the size of Shanahans balls and would blitz more...

That was pretty impressive by Shanny AKA The Rat but you know if they didnt convert it he would have gotten destroyed by the fans and media. It was exciting gotta give props to the Donkeys, but that was soooo a fumble by Culter.
  17. Boston Jay

Boston Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Definitely. The officiating today was an abomination.
  18. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They got screwed over yes. But they could have stopped them on 4th down OR the 2pt conversion. They didn't lose the game on that play. Denver still had to make two more plays to win that game.

Speaking of plays like that, going for 2 at the end of the game, it's a great call, especially in a 38-38 game where you don't want to give the other team the ball when you haven't played good defense.

I was wondering about our game last week. Would Herm have gone for 2? Probably not because it was Herm. And we weren't lighting it up offensively. But if Brady was playing in the same situation, I think it's a no-brainer.
  19. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Probably right, but ole' Norvo the clown is gonna be a little poorer this week. He pretty much called Ed out in his post-game presser and laid into him. He was right, but you know the comish is gonna fine him. Then again, perhaps he won't if he just figured that being handed an undeserved L is punishment enough. :D

I like Ed Hochuli usually, but he did not bring his A game today
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

From what I heard from Norvel didn't go far enough. He should have explained over about 15 minutes what an embarrassment this crap is to the league, etc, etc, etc, and earned himself about $100K in fines. He should have called out Jolly Roger to immediately suspend Hochuli. They specifically told the refs to quit blowing the whistle so quickly, I think it was last year, so this sh!t doesn't happen. The refs can't just say "sorry" and move on.
  21. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Of all the teams we play this season, the Denver game worries me the most. I think that one could get really ugly for us.
  22. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Agreed.... He basically said Hochuli came over and said "sorry, I fukced up. Deal with it". Not zackly what you want to hear at that point. I generally despise Norvo (and all things Chargers), but I have to say.... hard not to feel bad for them here. They took a screwing and it absolutly cost them a game.

But yeah.... justified as it may be. Ole' Rodger Dodger will certainly smack down a fine on Turner for his comments.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  23. Boston Jay

Boston Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They could totally make a Southwest Airlines commercial out of that.

Ed: Um, I should have called it a fumble, but I blew it dead. Yeah.. *looks around nervously as SD fans start to riot*
    Narrator: Wanna get away?

The refs should be called out for every idiotic decision they make by the coaches. Fines be damned. :snob:
  24. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obviously the play can't technically be reviewed after the play is blown dead by the ref. That is the fundamental reason why refs should the the play run out if they are not sure because you can always challenge going back.
  25. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I thought this myth was debunked by now. Plus if the game is close, the intentional snap out of the endzone always works......
  26. tart

tart Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't understand why challenge rules like that have to be so rigid. So much of the game is left up to the referees discretion, almost every flag is a judgment call (besides 12 men on the field LOLJETS) from pass interference to holding... so if the outcome was obvious (I mean theres no way the broncos were recovering that, the whistle was completely irrelevant) let the Ref decide that and make that call, and if its a situation where you can't tell, then let the Ref say you can't tell, and they make the same call that they did today anyways (accidental whistle, team keeps the ball at the spot of the fumble)
  27. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Agreed on that. When he made that call my first thought was "RISKY,very risky" but they pulled it off:eek: Shanahan's definitely got game.
  28. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

The point was made earlier that the blown call(s) had NOTHING to do with the outcome of the game. The game was won when the Chargers failed to stop Cutler's pass to the end zone, and then again on the ensuing 2-point conversion. All San Diego has to do is stop either play, and they win.

Same could be said of any of the other Denver drives. Just stop one, and the Chargers win.

This game came down to execution, and the Norvettes failed to live up to their own hype. Plain. Simple. Fact.

I am NO fan of Denver, but they won this games without help from the Refs. All that is accomplished by focusing on the mis-calls is you are handing a crutch to the Chargers and their fans that distracts from the real reasons for the loss: Failure to execute, especially by the vaunted SD defense.

I just can't get upset about the ref blowing a call, even when it happens to the Patriots, which it does. It happens, and the way that a team reacts to it and either overcomes it or succumbs to it says a great deal about the caliber of both the players and the coaching staff.

Respects,
  29. scrambler85

scrambler85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I want to know why LT wasn't at the podium calling the refs classless and that it must come down from Mike Perriera, head of officials in NY.
  30. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mike Shanahan, just another example of Al Davis' stupidity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.