Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Mike Bell released

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by tombonneau, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tombonneau

tombonneau In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Saw this reported from another board ... it was on the radio so no link yet ...

I'm not normally one of those Player X is Available should we bring him in guys, but I've made no secret that one of the few positions on this team that could be upgraded is the Heath Evans spot, and Mike Bell would fit that bill.

Not sure the circumstances of his release ... was he hurt? Conduct? (Doubtful, as just about anything flies under Shanny's watch ...)

2. 3.2 Blues

3.2 Blues Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: OT: Mike Bell DEN RB/FB Released

He was released because there were other options at RB that were better and he didn't want to be a fullback. Shanahan moved him to fullback and he made no secret he was not happy about the move. He then got a chance at RB again when Travis Henry went down and he fumbled on his first (and only I believe) carry of the season last year. Shanahan took him out and deactivated him the rest of the season.

Wish him the best as I think he can be a really good backup just not starting material...

3. satz

satz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

But our RB/FB did not fumble even 1 time saving alot of threads here...so lets get him.

he is awesome FB , can easily play the receiviing FB and TE heath lines up in. remember even with maroney in the bench BB used heath in blocking RB role aso he will be perfect he is a better blocker than heath .last year against SD in the playoff when heath blew merriman and got to the second level to the MLB so manytimes if it was this guy he would even hit the safety.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +184 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I can't attest to the accuracy but the guy who posted above you said the big issue was that he didn't want to play FB, if he doesn't want to do what Heath does than how is he an upgrade?

5. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

BB rarely goes with a 2 RB set, and you think he will now do it a lot but with backup FBs?

I don't think so.

6. tombonneau

tombonneau In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I think there is a big difference in player ego when you are coming off of a good rookie season at RB and the coach says in camp of Year 2 "You are playing FB" that naturally a player is going to push back.

But after spending year 2 on the bench and then being cut & falling into a FA pool that features RBs like Shaun Alexander, Lamont Jordan (has he been cut yet?) and other decent names, my guess is that Bell will be a bit more receptive to be signed to a team to play FB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.