PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Merriman is placed on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Merriman is placed on IR

Contrary to what others have posted here, I think I'd give him a shot, assuming, of course, that the price isn't prohibitive. He's dealt with a variety of injuries but if he truly gets back fully healthy, I see no reason why he can't be an effective pass rusher. Given that the Pats still have a *huge* need there, and if it could be filled without giving up draft picks or a lot of money, it seems like that's exactly the kind of move they should make. Worst that happens, presuming he signs for not much money, is that he's a bad fit, doesn't work out, and you have to cut him. No harm, no foul.

My thoughts, too.

If Merrimoid has to accept vet minimum+ just to keep playing, then I feel that he'll be too humbled to cause much of a stir in the locker room.

And if the defense has recorded only about a dozen sacks by Halloween, then I'm willing to hold my nose & sign the pimply, roid-addled beast.

Could a more perfect opportunity fall into BB's lap?

A 26 year old guy who was on the path to being one of the most prolific pass rushers in the league is available. You don't have to give up picks.

You don't have to sign him long term or to big money. He's had great success in the 3-4 defense (granted he played in a 1-gap scheme with Wade Phillips, but I think Rivera runs more of 2-gap -- not sure).

He has the talent. He had a great season AFTER he was busted roids. Busted in October of 06. Still had a great 2007 season.

Tore his knee up and played through it in the playoffs of 07. Re-injured/tore it pre-season 2008 and tried to play through the tear in the first game of 08, against doctors orders. Played through some painful injuries last year while compensating for his knee.

ACL's are two year injuries to recover from for the most part (look at Brady). Merriman wasn't himself in 09, but he still made an impact.

This is the perfect reclamation project for Belichick. A proven playmaker at OLB (where the Pats are still starved for playmakers) that teams have to scheme for when he's healthy. Merriman needs to resurrect his career, and what better way to do it than play for Belichick? Moss and Dillion worked out. BB has a knack for taking guys who no one thinks can play and getting the most out of them.

People criticize him for using steroids and being a locker room problem. He had a great season the year after he was caught and suspended. I think the knee has a lot more to do with his performance in 09 than the roids. People seem to forget that.

As for a locker room problem, he just wants to get paid. You almost feel bad for the guy, he tears his knee up right before he probably could've gotten a huge deal. Shame. That's the business he's chosen though.

I don't buy the locker room issues. He was a leader on that Chargers defense, emotionally and physically. He is one of the most passionate players I've seen play OLB in a while. He brings a ton of intensity, physicality, toughness, and swagger to a defense. The guy makes plays and makes opponents account for him. He was the one who called out Cromartie for that non-tackle on Greene. He's a hard worker and a team player in my opinion.

Yeah, he's got a bit of an ego, but what superstar doesn't? Most of them do. But a guy that plays through an torn up knee in the playoffs and tries to play through a torn up knee the next season can play for me any day. He has the passion and the drive needed.

I've always admired the way he plays the game. I found it interesting how everyone lauds Rivers for playing on a bum knee, but no one ever gives Merriman his due. Why is that? They are both ****y and both play with an edge. Is it just because of the whole thing with the Lights Out dance?

You don't think he wants to prove everyone wrong and set up his next contract? What better way than to do it in NE with Belichick?

What is the risk? He sucks and can't play anymore, you cut bait. He works out, can still play, and has a big impact --> you hit the jackpot and just gave this defense a huge boost in its weakest area. There really is no downside to this.

Bring him in.

Somehow I think we are out of the reclamation business for the forseeable future. I think Bill having taken on the defense coordinator duties has his hands full coaching impressionable young guys with remaining upside. If he brings in vets from here on out they will be the kind positioned to impart the wisdom to those youngsters that hard work and attention to detail and unselfish focus on the goal of winning as a team has more to do with becoming a champion at this level than perceived talent and swagger. Bill actually mocks the swagger effect. I also think while Bob has been willing to bend but not break their agreement to not resort to thugs and hoodlums as he called them, he's had about enough of the problem children for the time being too. If they were ever even interested in Jackson, he reportedly quashed that interest last week.

Felger was saying yesterday that they used to have a sign in the halls that simply stated...NO *******S. He thinks they lost sight of it due to some previous mixed successes, but that sign is again in sharp focus. I hate it when Felger is right, but I think in this instance he is spot on. Merriman and for that matter most of the talent that has performed in SD over the last several seasons was never accountable because that was not the culture they developed in.

He has the talent. He had a great season AFTER he was busted roids. Busted in October of 06. Still had a great 2007 season. .

The muscles don't just dissapear when you stop taking the shots.

I don't think roids are the issue, I think his knee is. He'd certainly be worth a flyer when hes healthy though.

Looks like lot of folks here agree that he is worth a shot low risk/high reward type. Now, if we can bring it to Bill's attention ... :D

A washed up ex-steroid user who can't set the edge, can't rush the passer (four sacks in the last two years), and can't stay healthy. No, thank you.

A 26 year old guy who was on the path to being one of the most prolific pass rushers in the league is available. You don't have to give up picks.

You don't have to sign him long term or to big money. He's had great success in the 3-4 defense (granted he played in a 1-gap scheme with Wade Phillips, but I think Rivera runs more of 2-gap -- not sure).

He has the talent. He had a great season AFTER he was busted roids. Busted in October of 06. Still had a great 2007 season.

Tore his knee up and played through it in the playoffs of 07. Re-injured/tore it pre-season 2008 and tried to play through the tear in the first game of 08, against doctors orders. Played through some painful injuries last year while compensating for his knee.

ACL's are two year injuries to recover from for the most part (look at Brady). Merriman wasn't himself in 09, but he still made an impact.

This is the perfect reclamation project for Belichick. A proven playmaker at OLB (where the Pats are still starved for playmakers) that teams have to scheme for when he's healthy. Merriman needs to resurrect his career, and what better way to do it than play for Belichick? Moss and Dillion worked out. BB has a knack for taking guys who no one thinks can play and getting the most out of them.

People criticize him for using steroids and being a locker room problem. He had a great season the year after he was caught and suspended. I think the knee has a lot more to do with his performance in 09 than the roids. People seem to forget that.

As for a locker room problem, he just wants to get paid. You almost feel bad for the guy, he tears his knee up right before he probably could've gotten a huge deal. Shame. That's the business he's chosen though.

I don't buy the locker room issues. He was a leader on that Chargers defense, emotionally and physically. He is one of the most passionate players I've seen play OLB in a while. He brings a ton of intensity, physicality, toughness, and swagger to a defense. The guy makes plays and makes opponents account for him. He was the one who called out Cromartie for that non-tackle on Greene. He's a hard worker and a team player in my opinion.

Yeah, he's got a bit of an ego, but what superstar doesn't? Most of them do. But a guy that plays through an torn up knee in the playoffs and tries to play through a torn up knee the next season can play for me any day. He has the passion and the drive needed.

I've always admired the way he plays the game. I found it interesting how everyone lauds Rivers for playing on a bum knee, but no one ever gives Merriman his due. Why is that? They are both ****y and both play with an edge. Is it just because of the whole thing with the Lights Out dance?

You don't think he wants to prove everyone wrong and set up his next contract? What better way than to do it in NE with Belichick?

What is the risk? He sucks and can't play anymore, you cut bait. He works out, can still play, and has a big impact --> you hit the jackpot and just gave this defense a huge boost in its weakest area. There really is no downside to this.

Bring him in.

Agree 100%

A washed up ex-steroid user who can't set the edge, can't rush the passer (four sacks in the last two years), and can't stay healthy. No, thank you.

What makes you think him or others are "ex-steroid users"? There are ways around drug tests.

If I were him I wouldn't be on any steroids for any ligament or tendon damage that would just be detrimental to the healing/recovery process.

What makes you think him or others are "ex-steroid users"? There are ways around drug tests.

If I were him I wouldn't be on any steroids for any ligament or tendon damage that would just be detrimental to the healing/recovery process.

His level of play dropped off big time after getting caught. That's what makes me think he's not on the juice anymore.

Bring him in.
My thoughts exactly.

His level of play dropped off big time after getting caught. That's what makes me think he's not on the juice anymore.

He had 17 sacks the year of the suspension and 12.5 sack the next. It's an injury issue. Juice doesn't help with tendon or cartilage injuries.

Sck
2010 0.0
2009 4.0
2008 0.0
2007 12.5
2006 17.0
2005 10.0

He had 17 sacks the year of the suspension and 12.5 sack the next. It's an injury issue. Juice doesn't help with tendon or cartilage injuries.

Sck
2010 0.0
2009 4.0
2008 0.0
2007 12.5
2006 17.0
2005 10.0

So the guy has 4 sacks in the last two years, has done nothing YTD, is oft injured, and it's completely unknown whether he can be a shell of his former self sans roids.

Pass.

So the guy has 4 sacks in the last two years, has done nothing YTD, is oft injured, and it's completely unknown whether he can be a shell of his former self sans roids.

Pass.

He's 26 years old.

It would be more of a call for the medical staff. I think he's tried to come back too early for injuries and made things worse. There have been articles mentioning it over the last few years.

I don't know if the Pats have any interest, but it is interesting that the Chargers used a clause that says that when he is healthy in a few weeks they have to cut him and make him a free agent. Didn't know there was a clause for that.

Between Merriman and Vincent Jackson there are all sorts of rules, clauses, etc. that I didn't know about until the Chargers started using them this year. :confused:

To quote Elmer Fudd, "There's something awfuwwy scwewy going on awound here!"

No worth what? Not worth a tryout to see if he is a better prospect at this point in his career than Fletcher or Crable? As others have posted, I suspect that medical folks will be the key decision-makers in deciding Merriman's future. It is hard to beleive that his skill set has dimished so much that he cannot be a decent backup or role player in the front seven.

passs......

not worth it :bricks:

Pass.

You make a point but if healthy can we honestly say he isn't worth it? Outside of Seymour who is long gone who is our leading sack man last 2-3 years? Im sure he is around 4 his self, we don't have much to sit here and deny any improvement.

No worth what? Not worth a tryout to see if he is a better prospect at this point in his career than Fletcher or Crable? As others have posted, I suspect that medical folks will be the key decision-makers in deciding Merriman's future. It is hard to beleive that his skill set has dimished so much that he cannot be a decent backup or role player in the front seven.

Absolute perfect post.

The very self absorbed, as if their opinion mattered, "PASS" boys will go berserk.

They will say:
1-Ruins Team Chemistry (play on words)
2-Prevents yet another Crable attempt to prove he was a bust as one of those valuable third rounders (but yet his injury issues are always just a tough break)
3-Cuts into the amount of performance enhancing drugs available in this geographical area for those most adamantly arguing this potential valuable pick up. I can hear it now "Jumpin gehosifat, he's gonna drive up my dealers prices!".
(Seems to me for all those "holier than thou", we had a few that walked that path including one who was the one of faces of our defense for a few years. Can't recall pitch forks and torches in front of his house. I guess Fenway was another focal point....but later on that.)
4-He'll go back to the dark side. (Do you honestly think the NFL won't monitor him?)
5-We don't want that type here! (Does Oxy-Nick still not count as a poop head like Merriman?)
6-Too young! (26 may be too young for a legitimate Pats pick up who could start if healthy tomorrow.)
7-Let's Draft somebody instead and let him take three years to develop. It is a much better gamble.
8-Our starting wide receiver is a different story! All he did was got caught smoking (or shooting up with) herbius weedius just before his Draft combine (how clever was that?) (yet he is the new Jerry Rice).
9-Our starting TE we just Drafted would never do all they say he did at UF! (Nah, he was just doing a term paper with actual facts on what actually happened at Woodstock.)
10-I am absolutely sure that was his Cousins puff puff in his jacket pocket!
11-Fellows, Ya see how bad Moss performed for the Pats? He was a bad trade! I am sure he was an evil toker in his earlier days. He never worked out(See Felger, Borges, Maz etc. They showed us all how to run a guy out of town. I hear they are now saying that Moss was selling heroin to disabled girl scouts and small breed dogs from his locker). He would have had a 100 TD's for the Pats if he was one of our Draft choices.

12- And Finally. I am a licensed doctor or at the least stayed in a Holiday Inn Express and I know Merriman is finished!
DW Toys

Last edited:

You make a point but if healthy can we honestly say he isn't worth it? Outside of Seymour who is long gone who is our leading sack man last 2-3 years? Im sure he is around 4 his self, we don't have much to sit here and deny any improvement.

His days as an outside pass rusher are likely done. He could be of some use as a downhill inside backer, but that's not really a need at this point.

LaDainian Tomlinson, got out of san diego and is now in the top 5 in rushing yerds and is geting 5.7 yerds per att

Crable, and Cunningham, have a total of 6 tackles and 0 sacks and can't beat out Ninkovich, for playing time so i don't see why any one would not want to bring in Merriman,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots