PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Merriman chooses to forego surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he does'nt play, he's too young and too talented to put his future career on the line. :(

Adam Schefter said Merriman is playing in part that he gets a $1.5 million escalator if he gets 12.5 sacks this season. If this is his motivation, someone should check him for brain damage.

I don't know how much of his contract was guranteed ... but he is nuts.
He needs to worry about his future as a father and husband ... it's not worth it.

He should NOT play. It's one thing to suck it up and withstand pain. OK. Navy Seals etc. do that. But Merry is a young talented guy. He's been told that he faces serious risk of possible career ending injury. He should forego this season and have the surgery and recouperate. Play well in 2009 for his next contract.

I believe that Rodney Harrison played a season thru injury and delivered a sub-par performance such that the Chaagiz didn't re-sign him and he came to the Pats as a FA. Career trumps season.

I really do believe the team put pressure on him to play (even if they did not mean to). They likely feel they need him to have a shot at the Super Bowl.

Re: OT:Merriman chooses to forego surgery.

1. I have little to no respect for Merriman. He's a cheater and a big mouth.
2. He can back it up on the field, though.
3. I hope he doesn't do permanent damage to his knee. That would be too damned bad. This guy has a chance to be more than just special. If he can maintain his focus and his health long term, he has a chance to be one of the greats.

Stupid or naive...I'm struggling to choose which fits this decision better.

I don't know, he may end up losing the season to further injury if he gets nailed, but he could live with it and hit surgery after the season. His position doesn't warrant as much concern for this injury (afaik) as if he were a receiver or QB.

You're kidding right? He's a pass rusher, which means he's frequently bursting off the line (this places great strain on the knee), and putting both force and torque on the knee when he engages tackles and guards. He also could take a helmet to the knee or get rolled on by one of those 300lbs+ O-linemen.

I don't wish him any ill will, but I think Shawne will very likely suffer additional injury to his knee (possibly including a tear of his ACL) within the first 2-4 weeks of the season, if his injuries are actually as significant as he's been claiming.

Last edited:
Agreed. Karma is going to hit this guy BIG.

I loved to hate him as much as the next, but karma? I dunno; I don't think he did anything to warrant this. Trashtalking, idiocy with his celebrating and steroids... there have been plenty of Patriots who are guilty of the same.

I loved to hate him as much as the next, but karma? I dunno; I don't think he did anything to warrant this. Trashtalking, idiocy with his celebrating and steroids... there have been plenty of Patriots who are guilty of the same.

Abject stupidity is good enough. If you don't like "Karma", think "Darwin Awards" as applied to the NFL.

How many Patriots fired their agent the day after getting drafted and then hired the Poston brothers?

If this idiot ruins his career because of this he'll get no sympathy from me.

How many Patriots fired their agent the day after getting drafted and then hired the Poston brothers?

If this idiot ruins his career because of this he'll get no sympathy from me.

True, but I'll still feel badly that his CAREER is over. Darwin Awards, yes -- because he's an idiot, but not because I'm bitter about choices he made before this came up. Pretty harsh, that's all.

True, but I'll still feel badly that his CAREER is over. Darwin Awards, yes -- because he's an idiot, but not because I'm bitter about choices he made before this came up. Pretty harsh, that's all.

I hear ya.

Alright so everyone call it, which week does Merriman surfer the career/season ending injury?

I don't know how much of his contract was guranteed ... but he is nuts.
He needs to worry about his future as a father and husband ... it's not worth it.

I don't think a knee injury is going to kill him, or even cause him to live a crippled life. Depending on severity, it could certainly keep him out of football, but it's not like he'd never walk again.

Dumb move though, he's what, 24? And linebackers can play well into their mid 30's if they stay healthy. He's got too much football left to risk it like this.

how strange is it to see that a player holds press conferences and updates about his health and the team doesnt have anything to say about it and leaves it to the player...
how many teams does that happen with ?imagine brady or someone holding a press conf daily and telling what doctors prognosis is of his injuries

how strange is it to see that a player holds press conferences and updates about his health and the team doesnt have anything to say about it and leaves it to the player...
how many teams does that happen with ?imagine brady or someone holding a press conf daily and telling what doctors prognosis is of his injuries

Belichick would tackle him halfway through when he found out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back