Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT - mcnabb/owens "black on black crime"????

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by bort, Feb 2, 2006.

1. bort

bort On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

probably not the place for this

anybody watching sportscenter right now? mcnabb pulls race while firing back at TO?!

the issue is TO's postulation that the eagle's would have been undefeated if brett favre were their qb. mcnabb says something like "why not say mike vick? why go straight to favre?"

macnabb accuses TO of "black on black crime".

did anybody else just pull their own face off? where did that come from?

i guess to make this post more football related i can point out that
    a - mike vick is not a good qb
    b - most nfl qbs are white. how does going "straight to favre" (an nfl icon) demonstrate racism?

and btw, what the crap is "black on black" crime?
    is this somehow worse than black on white crime? white on black crime? or *gasp* white on white crime?

last year, drew rosenhaus criticized brett favre for his comments on holdout wr javon walker. what if favre called rosenhaus the perpetrator of "white on white crime"? what if walker called it "white on black crime"? maybe not the equivalent, but you get the idea.

now please excuse me while i go wipe the bile off my keyboard

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's the ESPN article.

It's just a ridiculous statement. Whether deserved now or not, people think of Favre when they think of great quarterbacking. I can't imagine it having anything to do with race, and to drag all that other stuff in there is just to grab attention.

I wish TO had said Aaron Brooks. That would've been hilarious.

3. PYPER

PYPER Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I saw it and it I share your feelings. Trying to make that a race thing is way out of line. He took a color blind issue and tried to spin it into a racial issue. I think he's a coward. He's trying to hide from and dodge his critics by claiming any criticism of him is based on the color of his skin.

Sorry dude. Why should they only compare you to other black QB's? You're a quarterback and as such you'll be compared to all QB's. Your critics don't care if your black, white, green, or blue.

I actually find his comments insulting. What a coward. The funny thing is that TO wasn't even the one who brought up Favre's name. It all started with comments made by Michael Irvin.

Is it possible. Just maybe. That TO actually had reason to dislike McNabb? I mean here you have a guy who has this great public persona but is thought to be one of the best and most popular QB's in the league and the truth is he's actually an overrated coward who literally melted down on the game's biggest stage and cost his team a chance to win a Super Bowl. It sounds like McNabb might be more popular outside his locker room than in it.

Did you catch the part where McNabb did the old Texas two-step when he was asked about last year's Super Bowl and the rumors that he couldn't call the plays in the huddle. He completely spun it in circles and dodged the question. First he tried to pass the blame on TO by saying the team was trying to adjust to TO's presence and knowing which personnel grouping was on the field. Then he said they were in a 2:00 minute offense and and they just didn't score as quickly as they would have liked.

I'm calling Bullsh!t. McNabb was not even hustling. His body language indicated he had no idea what was going on.

4. bort

bort On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes I did. He went on to indicate that the entire 2005 defragmentation of that team can be attributed to TO's behavior. If TO did have that much influence, then there was something pretty wrong with that team to begin with.

I never had any reason to personally dislike McNabb until now. He carried the victim tag pretty well throughout it all, and it's certainly enhanced his popularity. But this guy is a clown, and this crap is a total cop out.

Apologies to those who may misconstrue this opinion as "white on black crime". :rolleyes: :D

5. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Didn't see the program but read about it this morning in the local paper. I agree with both your posts and just want to add that I think McNabb takes a major step back in leadership and status with these comments. If I was part of the NFL fraternity, black or white, I'd be very dissapointed by these comments from him!

6. Chris

Chris On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

everyone wants to play the race card anytime something goes wrong.. its just such a copout.. ive lost a ton of respect for mcnabb for those comments..

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 15 / -14

I think it's possible that TO has made comments to McNabb on this very subject. After all, TO is really a messed up person. I give McNabb the benefit of the doubt here, and assume TO pushed him overboard. Also, it's worth pointing out that the so-called race card with regard to football was played by Rush Limbaugh and directed at McNabb. (Who knows, maybe TO has used Rush's comments to taunt McNabb in the locker room.)

8. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's well documented the context of the original statements by Irvin, and it was clear to me that TO was agreeing because Farve is a 'warrior'. Farve is known league wide as a guy that doesn't miss time for injuries or use injuries as an excuse. Owens, to my eyes and ears, was obviously calling out his QB for being a p*ssy. It had nothing to do with Race.

Black on Black crime? How rediculous. McNabb is such a clown from my view. No wonder he's never won the big games.

9. Bill's Girl

Bill's Girl Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I wonder if Andy Reid is pulling what is left of his hair out? This is the problem with the ESPN Age. These athletes have cameras in their faces constantly, even during the offseason with these "reporters" trying to get them to say something controversial. They just keep pushing and pushing until the athletes say something stupid. I am not saying that McNabb is blameless here!

What would BB do if one of his players said something this stupid?

I also think that the Eagles are going to whine and cry about TO, like the Jets are still crying about losing BB! TO wrecked our team, wahhhhh!

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

As a side note...I have a nephew who lives in Philly and the sports talk there drives him up the wall. Soap opera style best describes the ways and means of sports in Philly. They either love you or hate you and good old nuts and bolts sports talk is severly deficient.

I'm wondering if this story is more a factor of the Philly sports talk incubator in that they won't let this go away and of course both parties are not man enough to just walk away from the topic.

I turn the radio off now when the T.O. subject comes up...no amount of additional information or commentary could solve this never ending tale...both parties have lost any luster they may have had...time to shut their pieholes and play ball...show some stones and let it go.

11. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm a little confused...I thought this was a story months ago. I could have sworn McNabb said this balck on black thing ages ago. Why is it being brought up again now?

12. flutie2phelan

flutie2phelan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Amazingly acrid anti-McNabb sentiment here!

Have u forgotten that it was McNabb who first "interviewed" and befriended Owens during Pro Bowl week ... and then lobbied with his own management to break the bank to acquire the guy? If ever gratitude was owed, Owens owed some to McNabb.

The "black-on-black crime" remark is simply an allusion to what blacks know well ... that the vast majority of victims of violent crime are blacks ... OTHER blacks.

13. Na_polian

Na_polian On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And now we all know that saying something bad about someone is comparable to violent crime. I don't know why I didn't make that connection when I initially read about this, but now that you've cleared it up, I feel better.

Thank you, Sir. Thank you.