PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McFarland out for year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree. Ugoh in the LT position has a major effect on your offense. The spot is being vacated by a perennial pro bowler. Someone who could take on the best DE/DT/LB's in the league, and win that battle one on one. Ugoh may be "competent", but he will not immediately be the player that was there. This will mean that he will get beat more often, flushing PM from the pocket. The pocket will collapse faster, and a TE will be needed more often to help. All of these have effects on the way the O operates. Less TE's down the field for targets. The run game could suffer somewhat, as he learns the blocking scheme. Of any group on a team, O-line cohesiveness is the most critical.
PM is a great QB. My one criticism of him through the years is he has flustered easily..Happy feet as you said (Perhaps he's past that now, he seemed to scramble better last year) when pressure is applied. This could change the whole dynamic of the O.

Is it a disaster? of course not...another chink out of the wall that is already hit by high turnover on D, and some critical injuries.

I wasn't implying that Glenn's departure would be completely painless because of Peyton's improvements. I was merely pointing out that he HAS gotten better.

There's no doubt that the LT situation could be the key to our season. However, we played without Tarik for 6 games in midseason back in 03 and did just fine. Now, we have a whole TC and 2 qualified candidates to try to replace him. I'm quite confident that a coach of Howard Mudd's ability can produce a suitable LT before the regular season.

Note:Reports out of TC have the Colt's playing Ugoh with the first team, so it looks like they're gonna give him every oppurtunity to win the job.

I want the Colts to still be pretty good since we owe them a whoopin in January at Gilette.....

Guy who said Colts lost 3 DTs was kinda stretching the truth since Simon/Raegor weren't really on the team last year....

Hopefully Indy atleast goes 12-4 and makes the playoffs so we can bust them. No disrespect to the Colts fans here but thats how I see it playing out...

It is no secret how much I hate the Colts and Manning, but I do not feel I am speaking with bias right now. AND, by no means am I wishing or predicting injuries for the Colts, I never want bad karma for the Pats.

1st- losing the LT. Peter King wrote today how Manning and the OC will find a way to cope, esp. with Manning's quick release. Yes, that is quite possible. But the first thing I thought of when reading this is how I felt 2 years ago when Dillon was hurt, Light was hurt, Koppen was out and we were forced to pass. I cringed EVERY time Brady was hit.

Therefore, regardless of quick release, Manning will be at further risk. Also, if you think about the Dallas/Indy game last year, and when we get to him, Manning hates to get hit.

I wonder how "experts" like King fail to see this possibility. If it was our team losing the LT, the sky would be falling in the media.

2nd- the Indy run D could be what it was last year in the regular season. I still can't figure out how they all of a sudden had a run D in the playoffs last year. With McFarland out, this point will only be more obvious.

It seems Indy has been healthy, the main players at least, for years. It will be interesting to see if they have the depth and the sytem to cope and continue their success.

According to what Dungy said earlier today Booger's injury is serious but has not ruled out he may return early in the regular season and may not need surgery relating this to Dallas Clark's status a year ago when everyone thought he was done too.

So they lost MacFarland. What's the big deal? THe Colts were 32nd in the league in run defense last year. They aren't going to get any worse!

Everybody thought we were going down when Ted Washington went to the Raiders. Keith Traylor was no Ted Washington, but we did okay as I recall.

Doesn't anyone see the similarities?:

2003 We trade for Ted Washinton, win the Superbowl
2004 We lose Ted Washington, win another SUperbowl

2006 Colts trade for MacFarland, win the Superbowl
2007 Colts lose MacFarland, ?????????

Look, I don't think the Colts are going to win the superbowl again. And the loss of MacFarland will hurt. But run defense was never the Colts forte anyway. Outscoring your opponents is how the Colts win. The loss of Glenn was bigger than the loss of Booger.

The Colts can trade for another DT with their 2008 second round pick. If they need money to sign Bob Sanders, Manning can just redo his contract again. He's got a big salary next year that can be converted to signing bonus. And if they can't sign Sanders because of the cap, I know a team with cap money available (hint: they're the ones who signed Adalius Thomas when the Ravens couldn't sign him because of the cap.)

So they lost MacFarland. What's the big deal? THe Colts were 32nd in the league in run defense last year. They aren't going to get any worse!

Everybody thought we were going down when Ted Washington went to the Raiders. Keith Traylor was no Ted Washington, but we did okay as I recall.

Look, I don't think the Colts are going to win the superbowl again. And the loss of MacFarland will hurt. But run defense was never the Colts forte anyway. Outscoring your opponents is how the Colts win. The loss of Glenn was bigger than the loss of Booger.

The Colts can trade for another DT with their 2008 second round pick. If they need money to sign Bob Sanders, Manning can just redo his contract again. He's got a big salary next year that can be converted to signing bonus. And if they can't sign Sanders because of the cap, I know a team with cap money available (hint: they're the ones who signed Adalius Thomas when the Ravens couldn't sign him because of the cap.)
good analysis

also wasn't carolina STILL shopping kris jenkins ?

although i don't think jenkins is a guy i'd go after , he's had alot of injury issues the past few years

good analysis

also wasn't carolina STILL shopping kris jenkins ?

although i don't think jenkins is a guy i'd go after , he's had alot of injury issues the past few years

My guess is the Colts will look for a decent player that gets cut due to a numbers game first and then look at possible trades. With a guy like Jenkins, if he could be had for a late round conditional pick they just might do it.

Space -
Its a bit disengenuous to say that the Colts were the 32nd ranked run defense without recognizing certain things. 1) The Colts played much of the season without Sanders. 2) It was only late in the season where Rob Morris was moved into the starting line-up. 3) The 5 games prior to the Colts bringing in McFarland were disasterous for the Colts Defense and I wonder if ANY defense could recover from that, stats wise.

During the play-offs, the Colts run defense allowed the following:
KC - 17 runs for 44 yards
Baltimore - 20 for 82 yards
NE - 24 for 93 yards
CHI - 19 for 111 yards

Total - 80 for 330 yards for a 4.125 YPC

Not great, but enough to win. And that is what counts.

Now, during the 1st 5 games of the season, here is how the Colts run defense performed:
NYG - 28 for 186 yards
HOU - 23 for 108 yards
JAX - 40 for 191 yards
NYJ - 37 for 135 yards
TEN - 31 for 214 yards

Total: 159 rushes for 834 yards or a 5.24 yards per carry average.

So, the additions of Sanders, McFarland, and Morris combined to reduce the YPC allowed by over a full yard. Thats a big improvement.

My guess is the Colts will look for a decent player that gets cut due to a numbers game first and then look at possible trades. With a guy like Jenkins, if he could be had for a late round conditional pick they just might do it.

My guess is that the Colts will look at Rashad Moore, LeKevan Smith or Kenny Smith if/when they are cut by the Pats.

My guess is that the Colts will look at Rashad Moore, LeKevan Smith or Kenny Smith if/when they are cut by the Pats.

Do we trade Keegs to the Colts too if this happens?

You guys want to cut them loose now to help us out? :D

Rumors circulating now that the Colts are looking at Sapp and Tank Johnson.

If they went after Johnson he wouldn't be able to play (possibly even practice?) after his 8 week suspension. Not to mention the possible headaches that he would bring along.

Sapp, while dominant in his younger years, may not be the fix they need and is on the downside of his career and athletic ability. I think he may possibly be their best option right now, IF a trade could be worked out.

trade??

If they TOOK Keegs I'd GIVE them LeKevin...

How about a deal sending Keegs,LeKevin Smith and Aqua4ever04 over to the Colts for a Milkshake or candy bar maybe?

Anyone know Polian's cell phone #?

I think the real question is if the replacements at DT and OT can hold their own and gel with the players around them. Essentially just avoid being a glaring weak link that requires adjustment from the rest of the unit to avoid disaster.

With this in mind, I think the Colts should be able to juggle their tackles reasonably well without impacting the overall offense (no long passes, keeping extra TE/RB in to protect, running to the opposite side, etc.). Not that I think Glenn's performance can be replaced this year...just that the Colt offense can absorb the relative drop in productivity from the LT without collapsing.

The situation at DT is a little more dicey. How many players will the Colts have to put in the box to compensate for DT? Will the DE's have to hesitate a half-second to avoid huge draw plays? Will the safeties have to make a living 5 yards from the line of scrimmage? Will this leave the new starters at corner on an island more they would like?

Remember the Pats were a "2002 Steve Martin" from potentially winning 4 in a row. Not that he was a bad player (ok, he was), but his inability to do what was expected of him forced the entire defensive unit to adjust.

The Colts face a litany of teams with solid running games + defenses good enough to prevent a shoot-out:

DEN, @JAX, @CAR, NE, @SD, JAX, @BAL

There is also a reasonable chance that the Colts will need to get through 2 or 3 of those AFC teams in the playoffs to get back to the SB. I'm not predicting the Colts will suck, but I'm also questioning the prevailing sentiment in the media that the Colts can withstand almost any loss (outside of Manning, Freeney and Sanders). They are paper-thin right now and will need some good fortune to have the type of season expected of them.

The JAX/CAR/NE/SD stretch is in consecutive weeks just after their bye. That gives them a reasonable amount of time to get everything sorted out. If they don't (and don't at least split those 4 games), that may be enough to cost them home field, first round bye or even their division. So look for how the overall Colt defense is performing in the 1st five games. Deep passes allowed, sacks, completion percentage, etc. If those opposing offenses seem comfortable, watch out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back