PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Manning to Jets not ruled out

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan24

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I still don't think it will happen. They are probably just trying to move on from the nightmare that has gone on for them the past few weeks.

On a related note:

Colts owner Jim Irsay says he'll use 1st pick in NFL draft on QB, regardless of Peyton Manning's status | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

“With Griffin and Luck and the way it’s shaping up at the top of the draft – could very likely go one and two like with Peyton and Ryan Leaf,” Irsay said in an interview with ESPN’s Hannah Storm. “It’s most likely one of those quarterbacks that you really feel is the best player in the draft, and where we’re at moving forward you can’t pass that up. I don’t think anyone would expect that.”

Asked if his intent to take a quarterback would change if Manning is healthy, Irsay responded, “I don’t think it would.”​

Last edited:
Almost impossible for the Colts to trade him. Look for him to the a FA. Then he will go where he wants or retire.

One factor in Jets will be if he want to be in the same city as his little bro.

I heard somewhere that Peyton would not go to the Jets because he doesn't want to overshadow his brother. He knows it is Eli's town and wouldn't want to take anything away from him.

I don't think peyton would want to get involved with the circus that is the jets right now. I could see him going somewhere like Seattle, Tennessee, or even Dallas. Overall I think there is a greater chance that he retires.

I don't think peyton would want to get involved with the circus that is the jets right now. I could see him going somewhere like Seattle, Tennessee, or even Dallas. Overall I think there is a greater chance that he retires.

I strongly doubt Dallas. I think he would rather play in the same city as his brother than play against him twice a year.

Miami would be a good choice. Decent team that is really better than their record indicates that needs a QB, but won't have a high enough pick to draft one of the top ones. And bits him against his nemis twice a year.

Although the Jets don't appear to have the cap space necessary to sign him, I wouldn't put it past Goodell to figure out a way for the Jets to be able to do this. Who knows what other loopholes are hidden in the CBA (see: Gholtson, Vernon).

I strongly doubt Dallas. I think he would rather play in the same city as his brother than play against him twice a year.

Miami would be a good choice. Decent team that is really better than their record indicates that needs a QB, but won't have a high enough pick to draft one of the top ones. And bits him against his nemis twice a year.

Agree about Miami. It's really a perfect destination for him - good weather & a team that could instantly contend for the title with another key addition or 2.

The likelihood that he ends up in the AFC East is quite high if he doesn't retire, imo. I still expect the Jets to make a big play for him, too.

No way. Peyton Manning has a neck injury, not a head injury. The Jets implosion is just heating up and Manning does not want to go to a team that is tearing itself apart.

If they can clear enough cap money, the team that would be a perfect fit for Peyton Manning is the Dallas Cowboys. Manning has proven he can handle owners and GMs to get things his way. He'll have the weapons he needs, he can handle the big stage, the defense is good enough to keep them in every game and he can be the bridge from Romo to the next guy. Manning to Dez Bryant would be lethal.

Remember where you saw this prediction.

Ok, I'll play. San Francisco.

Am I the only one that doesn't care if Manning goes to the Jets? The dude just had multiple NECK surgeries and missed an entire year of football.. Him playing for the Jets (and football in general) is the least of his concerns, and mine. The guy was a shell of himself in 2010 anyways. He was seeing ghosts out there.

Last edited:
OT: Manning a perfect fit for the Dallas Cowboys

Manning will not go to the Jets - that is the most dysfunctional mess in the league and Rex will never, ever share the spotlight with a guy like Peyton Manning. Ever.

Where Peyton Manning could win another Super Bowl is with the Dallas Cowboys. They have the weapons in place, a good defense to keep him in games, an owner/GM who is so starved for a playoff win he'll do it Manning's way. Manning would be the perfect transition from Tony Romo, who just doesn't have it when he needs it, to the next guy.

There's salary to shed there if Jerry Jones takes a scalpel to some of his bigger salaries including Romo's.

Manning would get to play his brother twice and the ratings would be incredible. The biggest downside is the Cowboys offensive line.

There don't seem to be any other alternatives where a team is this close and needs a marquee QB to get them over the hump.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Manning a perfect fit for the Dallas Cowboys

He's also a perfect fit for a wheel chair if he keeps playing.

He's also a perfect fit for a wheel chair if he keeps playing.

I agree with you. For his own long-range quality of life and his family, Goober-the-Elder should retire.

But I doubt he will if just one doctor says he can still play. Besides, that is a one-year $35 million decision for him. $35 million a year here and $35 million a year there and pretty soon we're talking about real money.

Jump off the Tobin scenario:

Giants win Super Bowl this year

Peyton goes to Jets in offseason

Jets win Super Bowl next year

The best thing is there is a possibility that the colts don't get compensation for him leaving.

He isn't going to the AFCE under any circumstances. He's way more cerebral than those who persist in opining that he might...

He will want to win, if not it all at least dominate a division again. His own is a possibility, be it as a Colt or a Titan or possibly even a JAG. The NFCW could provide a couple of contenders. It won't be about the $$$ because failure could impact his long term off field earning potential way more than salary over a couple of seasons will offset. The idiots over on Gangreen are stoked that Vegas sets them as the odds on favorite landing spot if he wants to win it all...LOL He's had enough of monkey's if not gorillas on his back in the course of his career to even consider running away to join the circus in his dotage.

The whole thing is really a win-win for patsfans. If he stays in Indy there will be a controversey because their combined cap and cash hit at the position and lack of draft capital will render that team incapable of rebuilding and eventually he and whatever HC Irsay taps to be the transitional fall guy will be run out of town eventually as Luck Fever eclipses Tebowmania (at least in the corn belt). If he goes Luck will be thrown to the wolves largely at the mercy of the same team that went 2-14 this season, because the Colts won't have the cap or picks to replace their all their FA losses let alone upgrade. And wherever Manning lands short of a network couch there will be transitional chaos. It took him 3-4 years just to get the Colts into firm contention status as a regular season division dominator. Eventual playoff success took him 9 years and a little luck of the draw.

Last edited:
Tennessee. So he can stick it to Irsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes