PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Manning named MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually on the "Rivers for MVP" bandwagon last year. The Chargers went 8-8, but I feel that, in order for a player to win the MVP, they should have a solid season and their team should make the playoffs. Rivers' team did both. On top of that, he had an MVP type season while on the mend from an ACL tear. Manning won it last season based on name alone.

That's why there were no clear cut winners. Most of the guys who deserved it were on teams with 8-10 wins. I agree Rivers was a better candidate, but so were Adrian Peterson, Kurt Warner, and Drew Brees.

I would also make a strong argument that Albert Haynesworth deserved it more, but that goes to the problem that the league MVP is primarily an offensive title. Only two defensive players have ever won the award (Lawrence Taylor and Alan Page) which is only one more win than the number of special teamers who have won the award (Mark Mosely). In fact, the MVP award is actually only a QB and RB award since there has never been a WR or TE who have won it.

Re: Manning Reg Season MVP

He's been fantastic.

But it should have been Rivers.
Although a case could be made that Rivers was the MVP I believe the right guy got the award. And you all know I'm a Chargers fan. Peyton led something like 7 comebacks and had his team at 14-0 and on its way to 15-0 when he was pulled from the game. I tip my cap to him and say congrats. Hopefully it will be the last thing he wins this year! LOL.

How did he not deserve it over Rivers or Brees? If go by numbers there isn't much of difference between the 3. However, if you actually watch the games you would see that Manning was the choice. He brought his team back from 7 fouth quarter deficits, and everyone knows if he plays all 16 games they are 16-0. Withouth Peyton the Colts are 4-12.

The Chargers probably would still make the playoffs with Rivers. Volek is one of the best backups in the league. As for Brees, his last 2 home games were terrible, and knocked him out of the race.

I hate Manning as much as most Pats fans, but this choice was a layup.
Great post.

I really wonder if the Colts pulled Peyton in favor of Painter to make him look that much better when it came to MVP voting. There were a lot of guys that were just as impressive and important to their team as Manning was, if not more.

Brett Favre has amazing numbers and took what was a borderline playoff team last year to being a Super Bowl contender.

Phillip Rivers carried the Chargers on his back to 11 straight wins. I think a lot of people are still under the impression that they're a running team when they're not. They're 31st in rushing. The offense is all Rivers now.

Chris Johnson. Yeah I know the Titans were only 8-8, but he was the reason they even got to .500. 2000+ yards rushing and 500 yards receiving with 16 total touchdowns. Amazing numbers, amazing player. Without him the Titans would've been lucky to get 4 wins this year.

Drew Brees. The Saints were on a historic pace for most of the season. He was just as good as Peyton up until the last few weeks when both of them shut it down.

Like I've said before, if they can give Manning the award, they will. I don't think he deserved it over any of these guys, but hey, whatever.
Great post. I disagree, but great post.

Actually, although I didn't think he deserved it last year (he wasn't even in the discussion of the top 5 MVP candidates midway through last season), I think he deserved it this year. Look at some of the games the Colts won this year. Against the Dolphins, their defense couldn't get off the field and Manning saved their arses by scoring in a minute or two a drive. Against the Pats, he overcame a 17 point deficit in 4 minutes in the fourth quarter (even if he got an assist on a 4th down play by the Pats). Against Jacksonville a few weeks ago, Manning completed 23 of 30 for 308 yards and 4 TDs while the Colts defense got run over by Maurice Jones-Drew. The Colts would have been an 8-10 win team this year without Manning.

I do agree the MVP award has become a joke and I will use Manning as evidence, but not for this year. Last year, he won because there was no clear cut MVP and he had the name. I felt plenty of other players deserved the award over him last year.
Great job with the game info. Really crytalizes why Manning deserves the MVP this year.

The voting wasn't even close. In a year where 2 teams were making serious pushes for undefeated, and many QBs put up fantastic numbers while leading their teams to fantastic records, Manning took 79% of the votes.

It seems a bit unreasonable to say that he didn't deserve it or that this was a ball washing. He annihilated some very deserving candidates.

Like others have said, 7 4th quarter come backs, 14 straight wins, 33TDs, 4500 yds. THe guy is very deserving of the award.

Now if he drops a couple games the way Brees did, then I think you're looking at a different story and I'd probably give the nod to Rivers. As it is though, the right choice was made.

Unlike last year, Manning actually deserves it this season. Guy had one hell of a 16 game stretch. Of course one can make a push for Rivers or Drew Brees as well. But I absolutely believe that, if the Colts had the balls to go for it, Manning could have led his team to an undefeated season (in spite of the fact that they are not the most complete team in the league).

Not really seeing an argument for Johnson. Guy had a killer season, but his team is not in the playoffs and started out 0-6.
The thing about Johnson, too, is he got a lot of yards in garbage time. Against the Chargers the Titans were done. Instead of passing, the clock saving way to get back in a game, the Titans were running CJ on every play. The game was, for all intents, over, but still, garbage time yards. That is one reason, I believe, that players from teams that don't have winning records have a hard time winning the MVP. A significant portion of their stats come in garbage time of games they aren't going to win.

No love for Aaron Rodgers?

I got to give the nod to Rivers. Its close, but looking at it more closely, I think Rivers had the better year.

Stats wise, Rivers had the better stats. Not by much, but he did have them. In terms of average per attempt, Rivers was better in yards and ints. TD's were basically a tie. Both teams had poor running games, ranked 31st and 32nd. Both teams had average defense, with the Colts ranked slightly higher in points allowed (in case anyone wants to make the arguement that one player had a disadvantage of a worse defense or ground game). The Chargers had a better offense, again not by much, but better.

I also look at the types of defenses each player played. Manning faced easier defenses then Rivers. Manning had two of the worst passing defenses in his division in Jax (27th) and Tenn (31st). So he got to play them twice each. The other team, Houston, was rankied in the middle of the league at 17th. Rivers faced Denver, ranked 2nd in passing twice, while the other team in their division was ranked in the middle of the league: Oak (15) and KC (19).

As impressive as Mannings 4th qtr comebacks were, the same can be said for Rivers during the Chargers 11 game win streak. After the first 5 games the Chargers were 2-3 and Rivers stats were as follows: 108 of 183 for 1519 yards 7 tds 3 ints 91.8 rating. During the Chargers 11 game win streak Rivers stats were: 209 of 303 for 2735 yards 21 tds 6 ints 112 rating. He clearly raised his game during that time, although he played well during the first 5 games.

I really dont have a problem with Manning winning the MVP. He is a great QB and great season. I just think Rivers had the better season and deserved it more.

I don't think the relative strength of the Chargers' and Colts' backup QBs should be given any consideration in deciding the MVP. I don't have a preference between the two seasons put up between MAnning and Rivers, but I think the Colts defense and running game is better than the Chargers. Chargers' receiving corps might have a slight edge over a good Colts corps. Those come from behind wins by Manning are in part due to not putting up many points in the first 3 quarters and just putting the pedal down in the fourth.

So I don't know that Rivers might not have a better case.

It should be noted, that I hate Rivers more than any other player in the league in the last 20 years, but I think he was incredible this year.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED to discover there is gambling going on in this establishment!

I think, that Favre deserve MVP title this year.. Why always Peyton????

I think, that Favre deserve MVP title this year.. Why always Peyton????
His nuts are less rugged and therefore less hard on the league's soapy hands than Lord Favre's

No Wes Welker? ;)

In any case, the Colts are 5-11 without Manning and the Chargers are probably 8-8 without Rivers. Manning deserves it this year, unlike last year.

Well, after he "won" it last year, I figured that MVP would pretty much be his to lose every year going forward, unless someone else drastically outperforms him (see TFB circa 2007). A case certainly could have been made for Rivers this year just as easily, IMO, but Peytie did have a great year this time and it's pretty well deserved. Damn him! :D

On the bright side, anything short of a Colts SB win will make this just another shiny but relatively meaningless regular season award on his shelf, and then I will laugh and laugh and then laugh some more. HAHA! :singing:

Last edited:

I agree about Rivers, but you have to admit, Manning is the ONLY reason his team is in the playoffs. That Jets game made that startlingly clear.

Yup, but that's just as true for Rivers. I have no problem with Manning winning it- can't argue with his accomplishments this year- but I would have gone w/ Rivers too.

No Wes Welker? ;)

In any case, the Colts are 5-11 without Manning and the Chargers are probably 8-8 without Rivers. Manning deserves it this year, unlike last year.

Winky face aside, if the Pats struggle against Baltimore and/or lose, and it becomes very apparent that Welker being gone is the difference, it would be hard to say he wasn't also a possible deserving candidate.

The one thing that sort of sucks about NFL MVP is that so many players are potentially deserving, but there's only one award to go around and unless you're a QB, more often then not you don't have much of a chance.

It would be cool if they did an AFC and NFC mvp, like how there is an AL and NL Cy Young. It would probably just end up being 2 QBs anyways, but at least you'd have a chance for more than one guy to be recognized.

Last edited:
Brett deserved it.

Another regular season award. Congrats pink forehead freak. You'll fail when it matters yet again.

The Great White Dope wins his 4th regular season MVP and we're suppped to believe he had no say in the "organizational" decision to tank the Jets game and kill a shot at a perfect season?? Not buying it for one minute though Peyton's acting job (the helmit on, the pout on the sidelines) was also MVP worthy. ;)
These awards and the stats that go with them are what Peyton lives for and always has. Manning wanted no part of the pressure that trying to go undefeated would have brought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back