Heres wishing to Brady winning the Post season mvp

Re: Manning Reg Season MVP

He's been fantastic.

But it should have been Rivers.

"Regular season MVP" - Microcosm of his career

"Regular season MVP" - Microcosm of his career

What a legacy, have to remember the long pouty face in one game, followed up by that great performance in the subsequent game when he hit 4500 yards and then was pulled.... see my sig.

I agree about Rivers, but you have to admit, Manning is the ONLY reason his team is in the playoffs. That Jets game made that startlingly clear.

I really wonder if the Colts pulled Peyton in favor of Painter to make him look that much better when it came to MVP voting. There were a lot of guys that were just as impressive and important to their team as Manning was, if not more.

Brett Favre has amazing numbers and took what was a borderline playoff team last year to being a Super Bowl contender.

Phillip Rivers carried the Chargers on his back to 11 straight wins. I think a lot of people are still under the impression that they're a running team when they're not. They're 31st in rushing. The offense is all Rivers now.

Chris Johnson. Yeah I know the Titans were only 8-8, but he was the reason they even got to .500. 2000+ yards rushing and 500 yards receiving with 16 total touchdowns. Amazing numbers, amazing player. Without him the Titans would've been lucky to get 4 wins this year.

Drew Brees. The Saints were on a historic pace for most of the season. He was just as good as Peyton up until the last few weeks when both of them shut it down.

Like I've said before, if they can give Manning the award, they will. I don't think he deserved it over any of these guys, but hey, whatever.

did not deserve it over Rivers and Brees. The award had become a joke, they'll just give it to Manning unless someone has a season that shatters records.

did not deserve it over Rivers and Brees. The award had become a joke, they'll just give it to Manning unless someone has a season that shatters records.

How did he not deserve it over Rivers or Brees? If go by numbers there isn't much of difference between the 3. However, if you actually watch the games you would see that Manning was the choice. He brought his team back from 7 fouth quarter deficits, and everyone knows if he plays all 16 games they are 16-0. Withouth Peyton the Colts are 4-12.

The Chargers probably would still make the playoffs with Rivers. Volek is one of the best backups in the league. As for Brees, his last 2 home games were terrible, and knocked him out of the race.

I hate Manning as much as most Pats fans, but this choice was a layup.

Last edited:

Phillip Rivers carried the Chargers on his back to 11 straight wins. I think a lot of people are still under the impression that they're a running team when they're not. They're 31st in rushing. The offense is all Rivers now.

Chris Johnson. Yeah I know the Titans were only 8-8, but he was the reason they even got to .500. 2000+ yards rushing and 500 yards receiving with 16 total touchdowns. Amazing numbers, amazing player. Without him the Titans would've been lucky to get 4 wins this year.

Drew Brees. The Saints were on a historic pace for most of the season. He was just as good as Peyton up until the last few weeks when both of them shut it down.

You nailed it. I know Rivers has many detractors on this board but he had a helluva good season for a 13-3 team w/o a solid running game and yes, the Chargers are no longer LTs team.

Brees was on pace to capture the award, but as you point out the Saint's end of season slide may have hurt him a little for MVP consideration.

Manning was also once again excellent this year and the Colt's running game is also something less to be desired, but for the same rationale as discounting Brees, Manning's end-of-the-year mail in job should also have been factored into the voting.

Johnson was spectacular, but for an 8-8 team he didn't get the exposure.

My .02$

Last edited:
another regular season record, another post season disaster.

Actually, although I didn't think he deserved it last year (he wasn't even in the discussion of the top 5 MVP candidates midway through last season), I think he deserved it this year. Look at some of the games the Colts won this year. Against the Dolphins, their defense couldn't get off the field and Manning saved their arses by scoring in a minute or two a drive. Against the Pats, he overcame a 17 point deficit in 4 minutes in the fourth quarter (even if he got an assist on a 4th down play by the Pats). Against Jacksonville a few weeks ago, Manning completed 23 of 30 for 308 yards and 4 TDs while the Colts defense got run over by Maurice Jones-Drew. The Colts would have been an 8-10 win team this year without Manning.

I do agree the MVP award has become a joke and I will use Manning as evidence, but not for this year. Last year, he won because there was no clear cut MVP and he had the name. I felt plenty of other players deserved the award over him last year.

How did he not deserve it over Rivers or Brees? If go by numbers there isn't much of difference between the 3. However, if you actually watch the games you would see that Manning was the choice. He brought his team back from 7 fouth quarter deficits, and everyone knows if he plays all 16 games they are 16-0. Withouth Peyton the Colts are 4-12.

The Chargers probably would still make the playoffs with Rivers. Volek is one of the best backups in the league. As for Brees, his last 2 home games were terrible, and knocked him out of the race.

I hate Manning as much as most Pats fans, but this choice was a layup.

I argued that Manning didn't deserve the award last year because he was playing like crap for the first half of the season and the Colts won despite of him in many of the games last season, but this year I agree with you. Manning was the reason the Colts won a lot of games because he came through in the clutch and despite his defense and without him, they would be out of the playoffs right now. The Chargers and Saints would be in deep trouble without their QBs, but both had good teams around them to help out. I think other than Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark and a few defensive players like Mathis and Freeney, the Colts don't have a lot of talent.

Actually, although I didn't think he deserved it last year (he wasn't even in the discussion of the top 5 MVP candidates midway through last season), I think he deserved it this year. Look at some of the games the Colts won this year. Against the Dolphins, their defense couldn't get off the field and Manning saved their arses by scoring in a minute or two a drive. Against the Pats, he overcame a 17 point deficit in 4 minutes in the fourth quarter (even if he got an assist on a 4th down play by the Pats). Against Jacksonville a few weeks ago, Manning completed 23 of 30 for 308 yards and 4 TDs while the Colts defense got run over by Maurice Jones-Drew. The Colts would have been an 8-10 win team this year without Manning.

I do agree the MVP award has become a joke and I will use Manning as evidence, but not for this year. Last year, he won because there was no clear cut MVP and he had the name. I felt plenty of other players deserved the award over him last year.

Good post, Rob. Although I think the Colts are a 5-6 win team will Manning as opposed to w/o him. Hes one of the greatest. There is no denying that.

In the games that I watched w/ SD, it seemed that Rivers raised his game to another level. I could be wrong.

In the 34 seasons from 1966 to 1999, the NFL MVP came from the SB winner 11 times, including three non-QB's (Mark Moseley in the strike-shortened 1982 season, Emmitt Smith in 1993 and Terrell Davis in 1998). All the rest were QB's: Starr, Bradshaw, Marino, Montana (2x), Young, Favre and Warner.

Between '66 and '99, the longest period between years in which the League MVP was on an SB winner comprised the 13 seasons from 1966 to 1978, but the average was about once every three years.

It has now been 10 seasons since the last time a League MVP helped win a Super Bowl.

I don't exactly know what to make of the recent 10 year gap. It's not necessarily a fluke because there was a 12 year gap before, but it certainly is atypical. I wonder if it has something to do with parity; that it says that since 1994 the wealth of the talent in the NFL has been spread around. Or maybe it is just a fluke. What do you folks think?

Congratulations to Manning. I like to rip Payme as much as the next guy does, but he is an amazing talent.

Unlike last year, Manning actually deserves it this season. Guy had one hell of a 16 game stretch. Of course one can make a push for Rivers or Drew Brees as well. But I absolutely believe that, if the Colts had the balls to go for it, Manning could have led his team to an undefeated season (in spite of the fact that they are not the most complete team in the league).

Not really seeing an argument for Johnson. Guy had a killer season, but his team is not in the playoffs and started out 0-6.

he won because there was no clear cut MVP and he had the name. I felt plenty of other players deserved the award over him last year.

I was actually on the "Rivers for MVP" bandwagon last year. The Chargers went 8-8, but I feel that, in order for a player to win the MVP, they should have a solid season and their team should make the playoffs. Rivers' team did both. On top of that, he had an MVP type season while on the mend from an ACL tear. Manning won it last season based on name alone.

Should have been Chris Johnson.

Most people agree that the Colts are one team this year where you could take away 1 player, and the record might be reversed. They don't finish 11-5 if Manning goes down to injury in the 1st game. They don't even make 8-8.

In that sense, and with his play, I don't think there is much to criticize about this choice. We'll see if the post-season woes hold up, but the field in the AFC is certainly wide open, and anything can happen this year...

Congrats to Manning. He is a rare talent, however this ball-washing is getting a little ridiculous now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes