Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Manning contract talks starting

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by convertedpatsfan, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

Sources: Indianapolis Colts make lucrative pitch to Peyton Manning - ESPN
    We'll see how committed Manning is to winning if he takes a bit less money to build a team around him.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

3. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think it's safe to say that Manning is the team no matter who else is on the field. Whenever the media compares players or coaches it's always Manning verses the other team's players and coaches.
  4. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +415 / 8 / -2

#12 Jersey

5. convertedpatsfan

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

I felt Manning's last contract was excessive, at the time way over comparable deals for franchise QBs, and it was clearly detrimental to the team. He certainly deserves a lot, but that deal was a bit crazy compared to others out there, and it seems the Colts now agree.

Brady's contract wasn't ridiculous or excessive. It was fair market value for a guy of Brady's caliber. If Manning's deal is a bit above Brady's, I can't blame the Colts. If it's significantly way over, then something doesn't add up.
  6. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +415 / 8 / -2

#12 Jersey

Ok, that makes sense. From the sounds of it, I don't think it'll be way above Brady's. We'll see soon enough, though. If they're committed to getting it done before the CBA runs out, then they don't have a whole lot of time...
  7. convertedpatsfan

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

You never know with Condon and Irsay. The Colts got abused pretty badly last time. They can make Manning the highest-paid player without going way over like they did last time.

If Manning refuses that type of deal and expects the moon, then I never want to hear Manning fans preach about how Brady always had a better supporting cast.
  8. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +601 / 20 / -14

Thats ridiculous. Just because the Manning loving media disrespects the rest of the team that contributes to his success doesnt make it right.
  9. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

All I know is we should have held back some money from Banta-Cain and Sanders and Wright and given their contracts to Julius Peppers x 2.
  10. PatsFanStnfrd

PatsFanStnfrd Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Amazing how little buzz there is in among football writers/bloggers on the Manning negotiations. Everyone seems to be expecting the Colts to get it done without fuss or drama.

Quite different from how the Pats-Brady negotiations were treated. Practically everyday, it seemed, ESPN thru Morty or Shecter or that rabble-rouser Florio of PFT would talk about Brady and his desire not to give the Pats a hometown discount -- and constant speculation on how much other teams would love to jump in and steal him. Where are these rabble-rousers now?

So much hatred for the Pats, so much love for the Manning/Colts.
  11. convertedpatsfan

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

It's not that I'm against Peppers, I just don't know how the heck we'd afford him. Those 3 contracts combined still would only cover 60 to 70% of Peppers' annual salary, and we'd still have to throw in over $30 million more in guaranteed cash over 6 years to get around what Chicago offered.

And it is annoying how the media has dealt with both Manning and Brady's extension talks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.