OT: Manning contract talks starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sources: Indianapolis Colts make lucrative pitch to Peyton Manning - ESPN
During the meeting, the Colts extended their first offer to Manning; it was more lucrative than the four-year, $72 million contract that included $48.5 million in guaranteed money that Tom Brady signed in September, according to sources.

While the Colts are willing to make Manning, 35, the highest-paid player in NFL history, sources say the Colts are expressing the need to show reasonable financial constraints on a five-year deal. Sources say team president Bill Polian presented a pitch Thursday that the Colts want more cash flow to build the talent around Manning with a more aggressive offseason that could include a few key free agent signings. Even though the Colts will remain a franchise that builds around the draft, they have signed just four free agents since Manning signed his last $98 million contract in 2004.

We'll see how committed Manning is to winning if he takes a bit less money to build a team around him.

Last edited:
By your reasoning, wouldn't that mean that Brady isn't committed to winning?

I felt Manning's last contract was excessive, at the time way over comparable deals for franchise QBs, and it was clearly detrimental to the team. He certainly deserves a lot, but that deal was a bit crazy compared to others out there, and it seems the Colts now agree.

Brady's contract wasn't ridiculous or excessive. It was fair market value for a guy of Brady's caliber. If Manning's deal is a bit above Brady's, I can't blame the Colts. If it's significantly way over, then something doesn't add up.

I felt Manning's last contract was excessive, at the time way over comparable deals for franchise QBs, and it was clearly detrimental to the team. He certainly deserves a lot, but that deal was a bit crazy compared to others out there, and it seems the Colts now agree.

Brady's contract wasn't ridiculous or excessive. It was fair market value for a guy of Brady's caliber. If Manning's deal is a bit above Brady's, I can't blame the Colts. If it's significantly way over, then something doesn't add up.

Ok, that makes sense. From the sounds of it, I don't think it'll be way above Brady's. We'll see soon enough, though. If they're committed to getting it done before the CBA runs out, then they don't have a whole lot of time...

Ok, that makes sense. From the sounds of it, I don't think it'll be way above Brady's. We'll see soon enough, though. If they're committed to getting it done before the CBA runs out, then they don't have a whole lot of time...

You never know with Condon and Irsay. The Colts got abused pretty badly last time. They can make Manning the highest-paid player without going way over like they did last time.

If Manning refuses that type of deal and expects the moon, then I never want to hear Manning fans preach about how Brady always had a better supporting cast.

I think it's safe to say that Manning is the team no matter who else is on the field. Whenever the media compares players or coaches it's always Manning verses the other team's players and coaches.
Thats ridiculous. Just because the Manning loving media disrespects the rest of the team that contributes to his success doesnt make it right.

All I know is we should have held back some money from Banta-Cain and Sanders and Wright and given their contracts to Julius Peppers x 2.

Amazing how little buzz there is in among football writers/bloggers on the Manning negotiations. Everyone seems to be expecting the Colts to get it done without fuss or drama.

Quite different from how the Pats-Brady negotiations were treated. Practically everyday, it seemed, ESPN thru Morty or Shecter or that rabble-rouser Florio of PFT would talk about Brady and his desire not to give the Pats a hometown discount -- and constant speculation on how much other teams would love to jump in and steal him. Where are these rabble-rousers now?

So much hatred for the Pats, so much love for the Manning/Colts.

All I know is we should have held back some money from Banta-Cain and Sanders and Wright and given their contracts to Julius Peppers x 2.

It's not that I'm against Peppers, I just don't know how the heck we'd afford him. Those 3 contracts combined still would only cover 60 to 70% of Peppers' annual salary, and we'd still have to throw in over $30 million more in guaranteed cash over 6 years to get around what Chicago offered.

And it is annoying how the media has dealt with both Manning and Brady's extension talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back