PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Manning, Belichick from Peter King's article

Status
Not open for further replies.

true_patriot

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Nice read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/28/manning0903/1.html

"At the Pro Bowl, Belichick and I had a beer at the pool one day. We talked for a few hours and somebody said, 'All they're doing is telling a bunch of lies to each other.' There's some truth to that. But when we were stretching for practice one morning, we were kind of waiting to see who was going to break the ice first, and he came up to me and said, 'Now, that third-and-two in the championship game when you ran the ball, were y'all going to go for it on fourth down?' And I said, 'Look, on the sideline Tony [Dungy] basically said, 'Don't make me have to decide.' So after that, it was like, 'You asked one, now I have a couple for you.' "

"My first question to him? I went back to my rookie year, 1998, against the Jets. We went 3-13, and he's coaching under Parcells and they go 12-4. We beat them at home, my biggest win at the time. We stunk. We had a fourth-and-14 where they were going to blitz like crazy. Our left guard false-starts, but the ball is snapped and you see [the blitz], so we come back and go max protection, thinking they would blitz, and he drops eight [defenders into coverage]. I'm doing what my coach told me -- you know, dump it down to your back. So I throw a four-yard pass to Marshall Faulk on fourth-and-19. He gets the first down, and we go on to beat them. I asked Belichick if he remembered that play. Oh, he remembered. 'Damned Mo Lewis missed the tackle.' Unbelievable. We ended up going to dinner. I had an enjoyable week just talking football with the guy."

Good read indeed. An interesting personal perspective on what it's like to be at the top of the profession, whether you're Manning, Belichick or Brady.

It's remarkable how sports luminaries remember so much
in such great detail ... for so long.

Ted Williams was said to recall the entire situation of each of his
500-and-something homers.
Opponent ... ballpark ... baserunners ... strike count ... pitcher ... pitch type ... location.

Funny, now that i think about it,
even i can recall vividly the half-dozen great athletic feats of my early life
... and then there was the called third strike down the middle that i TOOK,
with bases loaded, down a run, in the bottom of the ninth.

If Dungy is telling Manning "Look, don't make me have to decide," isn't that him basically copping out? I mean, shouldn't a coach have a general idea of what he's going to do in a particular situation before the situation happens?

What?! BB spoke ill of Mo Lewis?!

If Dungy is telling Manning "Look, don't make me have to decide," isn't that him basically copping out? I mean, shouldn't a coach have a general idea of what he's going to do in a particular situation before the situation happens?

Nah, sounds like he was just saying "get it done." It's not like he'd never thought about 4th down conversion choices before!

It's remarkable how sports luminaries remember so much
in such great detail ... for so long.

Ted Williams was said to recall the entire situation of each of his
500-and-something homers.
Opponent ... ballpark ... baserunners ... strike count ... pitcher ... pitch type ... location.

Funny, now that i think about it,
even i can recall vividly the half-dozen great athletic feats of my early life
... and then there was the called third strike down the middle that i TOOK,
with bases loaded, down a run, in the bottom of the ninth.

You know,

I think it's the same with most professions. For example, there are some (not all, mind you, but some) missions I flew with the Navy where I can give you an almost minute-by-minute recount of what happened, converstaions, etc, and some of those were 30 years ago.

Respects,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes