OT: Mangini on a Mission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike the Brit

Minuteman Target
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jets/2006-07-06-mangini-cover_x.htm

Mangini on Belichick: "We may be competitors now but we'll always be friends".

Is it just me, or has Eric got a lot more Charlie Weis-like than he used to be?

2006-07-06-mangini-usat.jpg

-------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike the Brit said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jets/2006-07-06-mangini-cover_x.htm

Mangini on Belichick: "We may be competitors now but we'll always be friends".

Is it just me, or has Eric got a lot more Charlie Weis-like than he used to be?

2006-07-06-mangini-usat.jpg

-------------------------------------

I agree, Mike. He definitely has "widened his horizons".

I'm actually a bit nervous for the guy. That organization is not very adept and he will be the whipping boy if things stay the same. This is his first job, he seems like a nice guy and he could get barbecued by the New York press. Very bad career decision in my mind.

I'm not rooting for the Jets at all, but seeing this VERY rapid weight gain (he never was a waif, but anyone comparing recent sightings of him should be alarmed) along with the tremendously increased public pressure, I hope this doesn't put this still young man's health at risk.

Last edited:
More telling was the quote from the Jets manager:

"I was floored by the intensity of their interview" at combine where they actually asked players about what they were doing on specific video of the college career.

Gee; something you never saw under Herm Edwards maybe.

Herm was too busy asking if the time of day they took tea would fit in with the team's current training camp schedule.

In three years this guy will be back working for Bioli or Saban, I think. Kind of the same journey that Belichick made with the Browns, and then back to Parcells.

shmessy said:
I'm not rooting for the Jets at all, but seeing this VERY rapid weight gain (he never was a waif, but anyone comparing recent sightings of him should be alarmed) along with the tremendously increased public pressure, I hope this doesn't put this still young man's health at risk.

Having Mr.Mom'd my soon to be 7-year old I have become somewhat of a sleep expert. taking care of my son left little time for deskwork which i found myself doing at 12 to sometimes 4 in the morning leaving 3 to 4 hours of sleep...I became a weight magnet.

The biggest health obstacle in being a head coach has to be sleep. without it our bodies do not metabolize very well. I'm willing to bet he's been told...chances are he refuses to listen because this is his only chance he may ever get. BTW Romeo looks a bit larger also.

F.B.N. said:
Having Mr.Mom'd my soon to be 7-year old I have become somewhat of a sleep expert. taking care of my son left little time for deskwork which i found myself doing at 12 to sometimes 4 in the morning leaving 3 to 4 hours of sleep...I became a weight magnet.

The biggest health obstacle in being a head coach has to be sleep. without it our bodies do not metabolize very well. I'm willing to bet he's been told...chances are he refuses to listen because this is his only chance he may ever get. BTW Romeo looks a bit larger also.

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is why I'm kind of concerned for the guy. Romeo has been a big person for a long time. Eric, however just had two major changes: 1) A LOT more responsibility, pressure and public exposure and 2) at least 60 more pounds within the past 18 months.

Both at the same time. He seems like a great guy and I hope he does well (except for twice a year).

shmessy said:
I think you hit the nail on the head. This is why I'm kind of concerned for the guy. Romeo has been a big person for a long time. Eric, however just had two major changes: 1) A LOT more responsibility, pressure and public exposure and 2) at least 60 more pounds within the past 18 months.

Both at the same time. He seems like a great guy and I hope he does well (except for twice a year).

Didn't the article mention that Mangini's dad died of a heart attack? He's only 35, so he's got youth on his side, but maybe he should take a page out of Tuna's book and hit the treadmill first thing every morning. My hope is that Mangini reaches Herm's level of mediocrity: Not good enough to unseat the Pats, but just good enough to keep his job for years to come.

Tunescribe said:
Didn't the article mention that Mangini's dad died of a heart attack? He's only 35, so he's got youth on his side, but maybe he should take a page out of Tuna's book and hit the treadmill first thing every morning. My hope is that Mangini reaches Herm's level of mediocrity: Not good enough to unseat the Pats, but just good enough to keep his job for years to come.

Putting all of this together, I'm truly concerned for EM. And it's the off-season -- slackest time of the NFL year.

I know we all laughed at Herm (sorry, continue to laugh -- no need to stop just because he's in KC) but I can remember film of him coming in at 5 a.m. and doing chin-ups and lifts in the Jets' gym that I couldn't do at 5 p.m. And then there are stories of BB watching game film on the treadmill. Don't NFL teams have nutritionists? If you're going to do a job like this and put in all of the hours you have to take your health seriously.

shmessy said:

He also had a father who dropped dead of a heart attack at an early age and has that somewhat unsettling live in the moment attitude as a result. Maybe the impatience isn't so much egocentric, although he does have one as well I believe. Scary recipe when you load in a huge increase in stress in back to back seasons first as the replacement to RAC on a Superbowl championship team (that then struggled) followed immediately as the new HC of the longsuffering NYJ. Won't make it any easier that Woody is on record expecting the protoge to be better than his mentor. :eek:

I had high stress as a founder of a hi-tech startup. I found that regular intense exercize either in a gym or playing hoops really helped my stress and boosted energy levels. Yah, it's really hard to make the time but worth it. BB's method of doing stuff while on a treadmill seems wise.

New York is such a "now" town. Thanks to the debacle that is the NY Knicks, Mangini just may get the time he needs to work a little magic. However, once Thomas is run out of town, Mangini will have to know that unless he's successful, he'll be the next whipping boy.

The thing that amuses me is that Cleveland and New York fans are the ones who hate Belichick the most. And, yet, they both have Belichick Guys as their HC so while Crennel and Mangini are the Head Coaches, the fans are forced to root for Belichick's legacy to grow (through his proteges' success) while hating Belichick.

Cleveland is a QB (a la Brady) away from exploding into the upper tier of teams. And while I don't believe that Fry is that guy, I do think he could be very servicable at manging the game.
And as the Cleveland fans continue to trash BB publicly, provately they can't help be notice just how much their team resembles the Pats team.

shmessy said:
I think you hit the nail on the head. This is why I'm kind of concerned for the guy. Romeo has been a big person for a long time. Eric, however just
Mangini played NT in college, so I doubt if he was ever svelte.

Ochmed Jones said:
Cleveland is a QB (a la Brady) away from exploding into the upper tier of teams. And while I don't believe that Fry is that guy, I do think he could be very servicable at manging the game.
They have a problem this year with Edwards still coming back from an ACL and a tough schedule. Regarding their defense overall, their DL is pretty bad, the LB could be good if the young guys come through and the safeties are in the same position as the LB. I'd say they're a QB and a DL away myself. I know they got Washington but he'll be toast, if he isn't already, by the time the Browns offense is ready (2007 at the earliest).

spacecrime said:
Mangini played NT in college, so I doubt if he was ever svelte.

NT at Wesleyan. Who do they play, Brandeis?

Check out the picture at the beginning of the thread. I half expect him to say "Paul Masson will make no wine before it's time".

He has put at least 60 pounds on in the past year and a half.
Add in the fact that the pressure on him is about to quadruple and that he's working in New York and you have a scary mixture.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
NT at Wesleyan. Who do they play, Brandeis?

Our big games were Williams and Amherst. Those Lord Jeffs are tough'uns, you betcha. ;)

I remember Eric only slightly from college, but he was not a notably beefy guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back