PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Lord Favre to retire?? (nevermind, false alarm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
*sigh* I hesitate to even mention it, but :
From PFT Rumormill:

The early indications based on our discussions with league sources are that Favre will announce his retirement from the NFL at a Wednesday press conference.
As we write this one, we're trying hard not to pull one of those "Favre will retire, unless he doesn't" routines. Instead, our goal is merely to share the information that we currently have. This isn't a report that he will retire, and if he does retire we won't claim "as first reported on PFT". Our goal at this point is only to inform.

So here's what we know -- a response from one member of the organization to a direct question regarding whether Favre is calling it quits today did not have the "No way in hell!" or "I'm looking into this right now!" quality that would be expected upon hearing that The Franchise is walking away in the middle of training camp.

Favre went back and forth in the offseason regarding whether to return for another year of football. Though the team was under the impression for most of the offseason that Favre was indeed coming back, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reporting earlier this week that Favre did not make a final decision until he heard former NFL quarterback Phil Simms explain on Sirius NFL Radio that Favre should play as long as he is able to play.

The abrupt decision, if he does indeed retire, would come after a preseason game in which Favre got the potato sack treatment from the Chargers' front seven, due in large part to a young, inexperienced offensive line that is learning a new blocking scheme.

Taking over for Favre would be 2005 first-rounder Aaron Rodgers. The move also likely would put the Packers in the market for a veteran quarterback. Kerry Collins is the most recognizable name on the shelf.

Again, we're not saying that Favre is retiring. But the signs are surely pointing in that direction.

Re: OT: Lord Favre to retire??

That would be interesting. I don't think many would argue that Favre is good for the franchise right now, other than selling tickets (on the road). Rodgers is their future might as well throw him to the wolves and let the offense grow together.

after all summer with this story...now...again ?

personally i do not care if he will retire or not but if i was a GB fan i would hope so

SD punished him quite heavy allready in the first pre-season game

in GB they should look for 'tomorrow' and not for 'yesterday' definitely

He's my backup QB in my fantasy league, that dude better not retire on me - I was counting on one more year :eek: :bricks:

If he does, it would be the final (?) scene in the last act of his career, an act with the theme of selfishness leaving a dark ugly stain on what has otherwise been a brilliant career. From announcing to the national media that it is not his job to help train his understudy, to keeping his team and his fans hanging in the wind all offseason while he contemplated his possible retirement, to finally (?) retiring during training camp when it's too late for the team to use his substantial cap dollars to improve itself in other areas, it all comes down to Brett Being Selfish.

italianpatthepatriot said:
after all summer with this story...now...again ?

personally i do not care if he will retire or not but if i was a GB fan i would hope so

SD punished him quite heavy allready in the first pre-season game

It seems like the preseason game is what prompted this. He needs to put his damn ego on the shelf and retire.

PromisedLand said:
If he does, it would be the final (?) scene in the last act of his career, an act with the theme of selfishness leaving a dark ugly stain on what has otherwise been a brilliant career. From announcing to the national media that it is not his job to help train his understudy, to keeping his team and his fans hanging in the wind all offseason while he contemplated his possible retirement, to finally (?) retiring during training camp when it's too late for the team to use his substantial cap dollars to improve itself in other areas, it all comes down to Brett Being Selfish.
That's what I was thinking. How could he do that to his 'legacy'? Come back only to retire after getting beat on in one preseason game? Makes him look like a prima dona wuss. He can't be just quitting now. (Althought it would tickle me pink).

See, I knew I should have kept quiet. Sorry guys. ;)

FALSE ALARM ON FAVRE?

After further review, it now appears that Brett Favre's Wednesday press conference is simply a standard, weekly media get-together.

The root of the problem was that KSTP-TV in Minneapolis sold the thing as an unusual, out-of-the-norm event with this post from a couple of hours ago:

"Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will hold a news conference at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.

"There's no indication at this point what the legendary Packer quarterback is going to announce. The Packers lost their first preseason game of the year by two touchdowns to the San Diego Chargers."

As it turns out, he's not expected to "announce" anything.

Sheesh. You'd think that a TV station in a rival's market not far from Wisconsin would know this.

That's why I started my rant with an "IF"! :D

I hope he doesn't retire, at least not right now.
If he does, all we will hear for the next two weeks is how great he was, how friendly he was to everyone, how he overcame obstacles (his addiction to painkillers never is mentioned), etc. The media will have a field day with Brett Favre stories, and the rest of the NFL will take a back seat.
I secretly wish that he does retire, and no one cares. He is doing this stuff all for attention because he knows he won't get it playing QB for the awful Packers

as someone who lived in wisconsin for most of brett favre's career, this is standard for him. he always calls wednesday press conferences during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back