PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Looks bad for Brees; torn labrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, that sucks for him. And the Bolts.

EDIT: You know, if I were the Fins, I might try to trade for him because of this. His value would be less, and even if he loses a few MPH off his fastball, he's still much better than what they have now. Hell, with an injury like this, the Bolts might release him.

Last edited:
oldrover said:

To be honest, I am not a big fan of Brees, but I hate to see this happen to anyone. Especially with all that $$$$ waiting for him.

It now might be Rivers team...tough decisions ahead for SD.

Doesn't sound good. I hate to see this happen to him, he worked very hard.

Will be a very interesting offseason for the Chargers....

oldrover said:

EDIT: You know, if I were the Fins, I might try to trade for him because of this. His value would be less, and even if he loses a few MPH off his fastball, he's still much better than what they have now. Hell, with an injury like this, the Bolts might release him.

With their record, Miami is going to get a high first round pick. If I were Saban I would draft a QB, like BB did. The fins have not had a decent qb since Marino retired.

Bill's Girl said:
With their record, Miami is going to get a high first round pick. If I were Saban I would draft a QB, like BB did. The fins have not had a decent qb since Marino retired.
I know....Gus Frerotte? I remember when he was a Redskin back when I was in college. That was 10 years ago!

I see Miami taking that QB from Vandy. If Vince Young enters the draft, i think the Vandy QB falls right into Miami's laps.

Bella*chick said:
I know....Gus Frerotte? I remember when he was a Redskin back when I was in college. That was 10 years ago!

Yeah, me too! Wasn't he the guy who hurt his neck by head butting a wall after a touchdown??

Seems like Brees will still get a decent salary - but he can say goodbye to a big signing bonus until he's healthy

Hey -maybe it will work out for the best - especially if he's avaialbe in a salary cap free era

[url said:
www.profootballtalk.com][/url]
TRANSITION TAG COMING FOR BREES?

We interrupt the ongoing coverage of coaches who will have different jobs next season to address coverage of players who could have different jobs next season.

According to ESPN.com, Chargers quarterback Drew Brees has a torn labrum in his shoulder, which will require surgery and a four-month rehabilitation period. Brees will get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews before getting the surgery.

The development significantly complicates the team's options with Brees. An unrestricted free agent a year ago, Brees was slapped with the franchise tag. Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith hinted during the 2004 season that the objective would be to get some compensation for Brees in trade. The only problem is that no one was interested.

When discussing on Sunday night the potential fallout of the shoulder injury suffered by Brees in the team's season finale, we argued that the team should slap the franchise tag on Brees again and remove it in June or July, after all other starting jobs are filled for the year. It would then enable the team to sign Brees to a reasonable contract, with virtually no competition from any other teams.

There's a big flaw in that reasoning, as we've been advised. Brees undoubtedly would sign the franchise tender promptly upon receiving it, which would give him a guaranteed wage of $9.69 million in 2006 -- a 20 percent raise over his 2005 salary. Since the deadline for using the tag comes near the end of February, pouncing on $10 million at a time when he is still damaged goods would be a no-brainer.

So the Chargers face a serious dilemma. If they use the tag and can't trade Brees, they're on the hook to pay nearly $10 million to a guy who won't be at 100 percent until, at the earliest, the offseason program is in full swing.

So the fallback position for the Chargers could be to use the transition tag on Brees. Like the franchise tag, use of the transition tag still requires a one-year tender in the amount of $9.69 million. Unlike the franchise tender, the transition tender can be withdrawn even after the player signs it.

The difference comes from the 1998 extension to the CBA, which added specific language to Article XX, Section 2(c) that makes the franchise tender guaranteed if the player accepts. No similar text was added to the portions of Article XX regarding the transition tag.

The key is that the transition tag gives the Chargers a right of first refusal, which basically is an invitation to another team to conduct the contract negotiations on the Chargers' behalf. New team works out the deal, and then the Chargers match it.

The ace in the hole, however, for any team that might be interested in getting Brees or in sticking it to the Chargers would be to offer Brees a one-year deal that includes an agreement not to use the franchise tag or transition tag on Brees in the future. Although such terms are, per Article XX, Section 2(g), not "principal terms" that must be matched as to franchise players, Article XX, Section 2(g) expressly exempts this provision from players carrying the transition tag.

And because the Chargers can (and surely would) withdraw the transition tag later in the offseason, it won't take a $9.69 million salary to get Brees to take a one-year offer. Under the circumstances, a $5 million salary with another $3 million in incentives tied to playing time could be enough to get Brees to pounce, if the one-year offer deal allows him to become an unrestricted free agent in 2007, which absent an agreement to extend to the current CBA beyond the 2007 season will be an uncapped year.

Our guess (and this really is a guess) is that the Raiders will put something along these lines together, if for no reason other than to mess with G.M. A.J. Smith. Other arguably possible suitors are the Fins, Chiefs, Jets, Browns, Ravens, Titans, Cowboys, Lions, Packers, Bucs, Saints, Rams, Cardinals.

JoeSixPat said:
Seems like Brees will still get a decent salary - but he can say goodbye to a big signing bonus until he's healthy

Hey -maybe it will work out for the best - especially if he's avaialbe in a salary cap free era

I thought Saban was mentoring Cleo Lemon. They traded Feeley(sp) for him and a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes