Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Limbaugh and the St Louis Rams

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by HarkDawg, Oct 16, 2009.

1. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Should the Staunch Conservative own an NFL Franchise?

Just curious.....
  2. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1- Who Cares
    2. Yes
    3.No
  3. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

if he can make it happen then sure. i don't listen to his show but i know he has upset a lot of people so they might boycott or whatever. i thought this was over though
  4. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

The point is moot, the NFL caved to political pressure and told the group who had Limbaugh involved was told they had no chance with Limbaugh - Limbaugh is out and that group is scrambling to find another minority partner to invest with them.
  5. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 12 / -5

"Staunch conservatives" already own NFL teams.
    Nothing wrong with Rush owning one,too.
  6. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +73 / 1 / -1

this definitely belongs in a political forum, but I agree that "staunch conservatives" or "staunch liberals" can, do and should be able to own NFL teams. but, Limbaugh is not just a staunch conservative, he makes his living by being what he would acknowledge is provocative and what his critics would say is divisive. so, no, I don't think he should own an NFL team any more than a provocative liberal should own one. the fan base is too diverse and varied in its own opinions for this to work well on either side of the fence.

That said, Ian...this thread should probably move.
  7. Wheelssps

Wheelssps Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but that's a pretty simplistic take on it.

The NFL owners, NFL players and general public's outcry had nothing to do with Rush as a liberal or a conservative, but had everything to do with idiotic and racially insensitive comments from his past. He of course has played the "poor me" card again, not taking responsibility for his own actions in the past and instead seems shocked by the public outcry.

As an aside, personally I don't think that Rush ever really cared about being part of the ownership. This was about publicity, and Rush once again found a way to thrust himself into the spotlight of controversy.

The reaction to Rush was directed towards him, not because of the fact he's a conservative. I agree that liberals and conservatives have every right to own NFL teams, but objections to people like Rush are perfectly justified based on their own individual and self inflicted shortcomings.
  8. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +123 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm moving this to the political form because we all know what is going to happen by the questions asked by the OP.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I love when threads from the general population get re-routed to here.

We've already crushed the Limbaugh topic.

He's a racist pig, and the group that wanted him then dropped him in the face of NFL and NFLPA pressure. End of story.
  10. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +104 / 3 / -11

Is the fan base too diverse? Stadiums appear to be filled with white males...I'm guessing 75-80%...which leads me to believe there are alot more Republicans sitting in those seats. (Remember there are 31 teams outside Massachusetts whose citizens did not receive the MTA Democratic indoctrination that begins in Mass preschools) .
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 1 / -9

Why is it that stadiums are filled with white males, the same thing happens at basket ball games, where are the Chinese, Mexican, Indians, South Mulacans and Eskimos.....:confused::confused:
  12. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +104 / 3 / -11

Can you help me out and share with me what Limbaugh has said that is so divisive? It is my understanding that the media has been pouncing on quotes whose origins trace back to a book....

"That purported statement, according to Post-Dispatch columnist Bryan Burwell, came from a 2006 book, "101 People Who Are Really Screwing America," by John Huberman, which does not provide specific details regarding the quote"

In case you haven't read today's headlines, media organizations are issuing retractions left and right.
    If you are left to only argue his comments about McNabb and the NFL's desire for a black QB to succeed....seems to me he was critiquing the NFL itself. Funny how Limbaugh was vilified for saying that McNabb was receiving undeserved praise....but similar statements about Romo this year aren't treated the same way.

"Tony Dorsett joined Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman told FOXSports radio that he didn't know why on God's earth Romo has been anointed a superstar and the media has given him too much credit for doing nothing."

Different rules I guess.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The republican party bought up all the season tickets:confused::rolleyes:
  14. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +73 / 1 / -1

Well, as a white male with an MBA from a local Business School and as someone you would no doubt categorize as a "Republican," I'm afraid that I don't fit your implied demographic affiliation.

But the race-based premise of your observation is what I am having trouble with and is a topic beyond this forum.
  15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well Rush did bring race into it and the Fox crew did not. That's the difference. Rush went after what he thought was the media's race based agenda for anointing McNabb and The Fox crew just wondered why Romo's been anointed.

If a white conservative brings up race and suggests that someone or something might be rewarding them because of that then they can conveniently turn it into racism. Partisans seem to think they can enter someone’s mind and decide what motivates their thoughts. That is the only context they can see.

I'm pretty sure the discussion on that show was following a loss or two that the Eagles just suffered….. or at least McNabbs performance was being thrown around the table. Rush's turn to speak came up and the demagogue in him couldn't resist and he lambasted the media for having an agenda.
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +202 / 3 / -10

When I hear the name "Rush Limbaugh" all I can think about is what kind of parents could name their kid "Rush"? ANd if he changed his own name to "Rush", all I can say is...what an a-hole d-bag, egotistical loser...."L":D

This guy actually thinks he's somebody....but sadly, it's those who think he has something important to say that allows him to believe he's actually an important guy.

He's a FREAKN' radio talk-guy for crying out loud.

"Radio"....radio man...not even television. He's an under-achiever and has been all his life. He has issues from his childhood that he's never dealt with and frankly, the guy gives me the creaps. I wouldn't trust him with children, that's for sure.
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Well...it seems like this latest chapter in American race relations is over as Limbaugh is no longer a consideration for this prize, and it's likely that he never was a serious candidate for partnership, doesn't it?

So what are we left with? Not much, other than the so-called "debate" on race in America has been lowered again with yet another wedge having been driven between black and white Americans supplied by our professional race-baiters like Limbaugh, Sharpton, Beck and Jackson. These useless masses of protoplasm and water would be working in a carwash if they didn't have their comedy road shows running thanks to the Stupid Sector of America.

Oh...and of course Rush gets to take home a truckload of publicity to add to his warehouses of meaningless notoriety and increasing commercial time rates. Good job, Dittoeheads!
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Chinese are in China.
    The Indians are in India.
    The Eskimos are in Eskimovia.

:D
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This past week has been a perfect example of why I am glad the Limbaugh bid failed. I don't want the sports world to explode everytime Limbaugh said something controversial like it did over this past week. We've gotten a week's worth of discussing him, but I think the subject will die down after this weekend (thank God).
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you've ever been to Gillette Stadium, then you might want to revise your estimate of 75% to 80% up to say, 99% :D