PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Let's fantasize.... (Browns @ Broncos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydyn

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For argument's sake, what would it take for the Browns to win this one? I know that this sport is HIGHLY unpredictable, and you never know what might happen at any given point during the game (interception, blocked punt, pick 6, etc.).

Realistically though, what are we talking here? Is there a chance (even remotely) that this can turn into a last minute upset? The Browns, although not the cream of the crop (understatement) can give their opponents some major headaches (anyone remembers our 34-14 loss to the Browns in 2010? Everyone claimed the Pats were going to blow their doors). The Browns did upset the Steelers a few weeks ago (with Batch at QB granted), and the Broncos did have some issues finishing drives against the lousy Raiders. They also would have lost the game in SD if not for that moron Rivers giving the game away in the form of 20,000 interceptions.

The Broncos did blow the Ravens, but really, the Ravens of the second half of the season do no even remotely resemble the #2 seed team they were earlier in the year.

I don't know what the whole commotion about the Broncos is. To me it seems that the Broncos are a very middle-to-above-the-pack team, playing in the worst division in the league with a very good QB (more on Manning in a moment) navigating that team, and cakewalk for a schedule. They win over weak teams with marginal scores, while they themselves get blown out by top-tier teams (Falcons, Pats, Texans, etc.).

As for Manning himself, I personally believe he chose to play for the Broncos because he knew that playing in the AFCW would give him the best chance to get to the playoffs. If you think about it for a moment and go through the list of teams he visited prior to picking the Broncos, he started in Miami.... bad pick... - The AFCE is a fairly weak division but with one big caveat: THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS. He would never play in the same division with Brady, getting his *** whooped twice a year. He's already had his *** handed to him by Brady and the Pats enough times throughout his career when he played for the Colts. His next 2 stops were two NFCW teams. One is lousy (Cardinals), which he knew he had no chance winning with, regardless of the division it was in, and the other was a very good one (49ers), but again he knew that come playoffs time, he'll have to face his little bro and the Giants, Rodgers and the Packers, Breese and the Saints, and Seattle twice (which is on the rise, and has the most hostile road venue). So what does Manning do? - Why not the Broncos? He gets to stay in the AFC, avoiding all the tough physical teams in the NFC, AND gets to play in the crappiest division in the league - that's a NO BRAINER!

This is not another Broncos vs. Pats or Manning vs. Brady thread, and this thread is not validating or refuting their rank in the league. This is about realistically talking about their abilities to win against other mediocre teams. Now, one may say that their record speaks for itself, and no doubt, they are an above average team, and at the end of the day, a W is a W. But I only question their capabilities because I've seen them being blown out of the water by other top teams, while only 'marginally' winning over low-level teams (anyone seen the problems the freaking Chiefs gave them)?

To me the Broncos win, but not in a decisive manner. When the Pats win, it's usually a blow out. We hang points on the scoreboard like it's nothing, even on top-tier teams such as the Texans, or 31 points in one half on the number 1 defense in the league (and that's without Gronk, Edeleman, and half of the roster in less than 100% shape). And that indecisive form of winning their matches is what makes me think they are about to be upset in the next couple of weeks. Simply because if you can't put your opponent in a deep enough hole to boot, the opponent usually finds a way to climb out of that hole and bite you in the ***.

So to my original question: Given that the Broncos don't usually blow other teams out of the water, what can we expect from the Browns (given their roster) this coming Sunday? I don't know about everyone else here, but I wouldn't count the Browns out. They have nothing to play for and would love nothing more than ruin the Broncos seeding placement.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
For the Browns to win, you'd need the Broncos to turn the football over with the same regularity (conceding favorable field position) the Patriots did against the 49ers.

Last edited:
It would take a goddamn miracle. Maybe it's time for the Browns to coax Tyree out of retirement?

Last edited:
For the Browns to win, you'd need the Broncos to turn the football over with the same regularity (conceding favorable field position) the Patriots did against the 49ers.

If the number 1 team in turnover differential (Pats) gave away the ball in one game almost as much as in half the season, what makes you think the Broncos can't or won't? Manning has been picked.... happened before...

Last edited:
If the number 1 team in turnover differential (Pats) gave away the ball in one game almost as much as in half the season, what makes you think the Broncos can't or won't? Manning has been picked.... happened before...
That would be a favorable outcome for the Patriots. The problem is it'll have to be Manning mistakes, not mistakes induced by good defense.

A heavy dose of Trent Richardson to establish the ground game. Keep Manning off of the field. Try to hit them deep with some play action then. I was hoping for bad weather. But, accu-weather has it at 50 degrees and sunny. I don't see it. But, that's my formula.

A heavy dose of Trent Richardson to establish the ground game. Keep Manning off of the field. Try to hit them deep with some play action then. I was hoping for bad weather. But, accu-weather has it at 50 degrees and sunny. I don't see it. But, that's my formula.

There we go, that's what I was talking about. There must be a few players on the Browns roster that ARE worth something, no? :) I mean they did upset the Steelers in a very physical game. The Browns may not be a great team, but they tent to play some very physical football.

I've posted my keys to victory for the Patriots games and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but they've proven to be quite accurate in terms of winning/losing based on executing the fine highlighted points. So I've decided to break down the game for the Browns this weekend, without further adieu here are my 5 keys to victory this Sunday for the Browns:

1. Run the ball well
2. Defend the run well
3. Pass the ball well
4. Defend the pass well
5. Coach well

If the Browns execute these 5 points, I'd say they have a great shot at upsetting the Broncos on Sunday.

You have to hope the Browns play like the Cardinals did in week 2 at NE........The Cards had an anemic offense that day but were opportunistic on defense and they have a decent one,at least back then.

Cleveland's defense is similar to Arizona,maybe better........play like Arizona did and they can win,but they can't allow Denver more than 20 points or its game over.

I've posted my keys to victory for the Patriots games and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but they've proven to be quite accurate in terms of winning/losing based on executing the fine highlighted points. So I've decided to break down the game for the Browns this weekend, without further adieu here are my 5 keys to victory this Sunday for the Browns:

1. Run the ball well
2. Defend the run well
3. Pass the ball well
4. Defend the pass well
5. Coach well

If the Browns execute these 5 points, I'd say they have a great shot at upsetting the Broncos on Sunday.

Love the analysis, you are spot on. :D

I don't give the Browns much of a chance to win this game but it won't stop my heart from beating a bit faster if they get any bit of a lead.

Steelers had 8 turnovers vs them and were still in a position to win that game at the end.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Browns somehow won. A few weeks ago, the Broncos barely beat the Chiefs and the Chiefs are tens times worse than the Browns.

It is highly doubtful that the Browns win, but Manning has put up some un-Manning-like games in recent weeks vs. the Chiefs and the Raiders.

Last edited:
You have to hope the Browns play like the Cardinals did in week 2 at NE........The Cards had an anemic offense that day but were opportunistic on defense and they have a decent one,at least back then.

Cleveland's defense is similar to Arizona,maybe better........play like Arizona did and they can win,but they can't allow Denver more than 20 points or its game over.

Couldn't agree more. The Browns D can't play physical, and are above average against the run. If they can stop Moreno and get Manning off the field on some 3-and-outs, it's doable I believe.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Browns somehow won. A few weeks ago, the Broncos barely beat the Chiefs and the Chiefs are tens times worse than the Browns.

It is highly doubtful that the Browns win, but Manning has put up some un-Manning-like games in recent weeks vs. the Chiefs and the Raiders.

And let's not forget the game in San Diego... Rivers basically handed them the win. That should have been their 4th loss of the season.

The Browns have Phil Dawson. I won't be surprised if they play ultraconservative as soon as they get into FG range.
On the defensive side, they can shut down Thomas with Joe Haden. Then is the run game. You gotta stop Moreno; make the offense one-dimensional. Too bad is Peyton throwing the ball. However, Peyton struggled to build a quick lead over very inferior teams like OAK & KC. If the Browns keep it close, Dawson might get a chance to pull the upset.

The Browns are terrible, and yet somehow, overrated. <2% chance they win.

There's a better chance of Mark Sanchez winning the Super Bowl MVP one day.

I don't give the Browns much of a chance to win this game but it won't stop my heart from beating a bit faster if they get any bit of a lead.

It'd be nice... I don't relish the idea of twiddling my Patiotic thumbs waiting for WC weekend...

Last edited:
Since we're all just fantasizing here, I'll say that I think the more likely upset would be Kansas City in Week 17.

The Chiefs are a Division opponent who played the Broncos tough a few weeks ago (five point game until the final minute). KC could also be playing with some extra emotion if the players know it's Romeo's last game; Crennel is a "player's coach" by all accounts and his guys might just bring a little extra motivation and pride to the field.

I can dream...er, fantasize...can't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back