PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Less than 10 percent of NFL pink merchandise sales go toward cancer research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be neither. The retailer, be it the league, a team, or anyone else, has their costs and overhead to cover out of their cut. They have to keep the lights on and the staff paid. This is just click bait bs.
Disagree strongly. The NFL claims the following: "At Retail: 100% of the NFL’s proceeds from Pink product sales go to the American Cancer Society." followed by fine print later on the page of "The NFL does not retain any profits generated by royalties received due to the sale of Pink products. All dollars are donated to ACS." (emphasis mine) (http://www.nfl.com/pink) This is clearly designed to mislead consumers into thinking the NFL and NFL teams do not make any profit off of NFL Pink merchandise, and that most of the proceeds collected by organizations party to the NFL go to charity. In fact, if I buy something from nfl.com's stores or a team shop and didn't know any better, I would take this as the plain meaning of their statement. But in actuality, half the proceeds go to the NFL.com store and the team shops, meaning that NFL owners are almost definitely profiting off NFL Pink merchandise, and it appears from the article that "the NFL's proceeds from Pink product sales" narrowly refers to the royalty that the NFL charges and not the profit made by the NFL shop and NFL teams. And yes, unless they are donating a significant portion of that 50% revenue cut (and the language on nfl.com/pink suggests that they just pocket everything, because it only refers to the royalties), they are definitely making a profit off from Pink merchandise even net inventory and stocking costs, and you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

I'm not saying the NFL's authorized retailers (which, again, includes the NFL itself) should run like a charity. I am fully on board with high ticket prices, large cuts from apparel sales, and maximizing TV contracts. But it is despicable to trick people into forking over money thinking it will go to a charitable cause and then pocket that money for yourself. We don't have to excuse the NFL for doing it just because they're a profitable business. If anything, we should hold the NFL to a much higher standard than some teenager on the subway pretending to collect money for his sick grandma.

Last edited:
The Susan G. Komen foundation is a scam.

charitynavigator.org is a great site where charities are rated as to how much actually goes to the intended charity. You can compare the Salvation Army to the Red Cross and see which one pays their top executives $80K and which one pays in the millions....

http://www.si.com/si-wire/2013/10/16/pink-nfl-merchandise-breast-cancer-research

"only 8.01% of money spent on pink NFL merchandise is actually going towards cancer research"

Integrity
[/QUOTE
The problem is the K o m e n group. They are all about fund raising and very little goes to cancer research. Almost all the money goes to administration costs and marketing, and even the money spent on cancer research is often spent ineffectively. There is a good documentary on this that I saw on Netflix. It's an eye opener. It made me angry to see how the efforts & hopes of so many women, many cancer survivors, are squandered and frankly exploited.
can you think of the name of it? I'd like to watch it.

I am sorry but I think the cause needs to change for all cancers. I don't agree with this.

Take stats for each year of all types of cancers and send the cheques out accordingly, based on percentage affected.

However make the entire month dedicated to cancer awareness, ALL cancers. Tally that up, divide it accordingly and send out the cheque.

Why does it have to be a static thing each year. Society and life moves, trends change.

And shame on the NFL, 8%, not acceptable for the amount of cash the League takes in. They are not successful because of management, they are successful despite management....
Well the money to pay Roger's salary has got to come from somewhere, doesn't it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes