PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Less than 10 percent of NFL pink merchandise sales go toward cancer research

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should also be noted that the most common place for pink NFL merchandise to be sold is through the league's online store, individual teams and at the stadiums. Therefore, the NFL or the individual teams act as the retailer in this case and therefore receive a portion of the 50 percent that goes toward the "retailer."

Disgusting, but not surprising.

Women on a hook campaign

NFL makes no profit from this, it's just an author talking out his a**.

Disgusting, but not surprising.
Should be neither. The retailer, be it the league, a team, or anyone else, has their costs and overhead to cover out of their cut. They have to keep the lights on and the staff paid. This is just click bait bs.

Yes but 90% go towards making people believe that the NFL cares about women!

So....there's THAT.
Yep, it's just a marketing campaign to make the league look good by supporting cancer research to benefit women.

And this report is just a marketing campaign to make some muckraker look good by making the league look bad to benefit the muckraker.

Which is more beneficial to society at large in the long run?

I'm on my phone and too lazy to google but the Attorney General website has a list of percentages donated by organization. There's some disgusting people in this world is all I'm going to say.

I'm on my phone and too lazy to google but the Attorney General website has a list of percentages donated by organization. There's some disgusting people in this world is all I'm going to say.
One thing to keep in mind, if those are charities it's comparing apples and pineapples. When I just tried to google it I got lists of charities that are pure donations-based fundraising machines, not sellers of merchandise. Think Salvation Army Santas, compared to Girl Scout cookies. Can't evaluate the performance the same way for such different models.

The problem is the K o m e n group. They are all about fund raising and very little goes to cancer research. Almost all the money goes to administration costs and marketing, and even the money spent on cancer research is often spent ineffectively. There is a good documentary on this that I saw on Netflix. It's an eye opener. It made me angry to see how the efforts & hopes of so many women, many cancer survivors, are squandered and frankly exploited.

That's one. There are many others. World is full of scammers. It's important to be realistic, skeptical without being unreasonable about things like cost of goods sold, etc.

By the way, buying something to support a cause is not charity. Charity is giving 100% of your funds to said needy person/organization and shutting up about it. If you even have so much as a sticker on your shirt, you are just pounding your chest and satisfying your own ego.

I have no idea what percentage of sales toward the specific "charity" is normal. I don't know for certain if the NFL has rigged this to be all PR with little return versus PR with a good faith attempt at optimal return.
What I can say is a large amount of NFL owners pushed for framegate to grow, fully supported it throughout the process including the appeal, probably do not entertain the thought of replacing Goodell, and the executive staff of Goodell/his staff of slugs are demonstrably incapable of fair minded thinking much less successful strategies based on anything other than bullying their opponent/partner with their massive media power.
Given the factual implications of that last sentence nothing the NFL does or is reported to do should surprise anyone. It is an entity of leaders/decision makers that have an artificially lofty status based almost entirely on the sport itself being attractive to a lot of fans and viewers.

8% sounds surprisingly high.

As a general rule, I assume that the money going to charity is less than the money spent bragging about the charitable effort.

It's not really surprising. The big thing that the NFL always says is "cancer Awareness". The whole thing is more about getting people to go test themselves than it is about donating money to charity.

A better question would be asking the NFL for the gross number donated by the league to breast cancer charities last year. Was it 10K? 100K? 2 million??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes