PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: LeBron James

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is the most overblown bs ever?
The guy hasn't won anything, and its 24/7 coverage on where he will sign a FA contract. He is now going to have his own special announcement show on, of course, ESPN, and I think its an hour long show.
I hope whereever he goes he wins nothing his entire career.

The guy hasn't won anything, and its 24/7 coverage on where he will sign a FA contract. He is now going to have his own special announcement show on, of course, ESPN, and I think its an hour long show.

The 2nd most overblown and hyped sports story ever.......right behind "spygate".:confused::bricks:

I read that somewhere aswell, nearly boring as a Favre summer ;)

It did make me wonder if it would be the same if FA opened in the NFL with Manning or Brady or another high caliber player available?

Yes. The only thing worse is starting a thread about it in the PATRIOTS forum.

He's winning my Least-Favorite-Athlete competition handily now.

He's so arrogant it makes me sick.

He's winning my Least-Favorite-Athlete competition handily now.

He's so arrogant it makes me sick.

His twitter is 'KINGJAMES'

Clearly delusional!

Yes. The only thing worse is starting a thread about it in the PATRIOTS forum.

We'll let it fly :cool:

I'm not a fan of Lebron either. Quite a few in the media are putting him in the same class as Jordan, which considering the fact he's no where near that level makes all this hype just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lebron James has proven repeatedly that he is not a winner. The guy is all hype.

Honestly, if it weren't for all the King James crap and all the buildup to him coming into the league, would he have won MVPs at this point? Lebron is closer to Durant or Melo or other guys with great stats, but without anything to show for it. The only difference is Lebron's reputation, which is mostly a media fabrication. He has limited basketball skills. Offensively, all he can do is drive the ball, and even that, he wouldn't be elite if it weren't for what the refs let him get away with.

He has no post game, a mediocre jumpshot, and apparently lacks the drive of a Kobe or a Jordan who would go out and fix those things ASAP.

Last edited:

He is the King Douche. I hate him so much, I've never seen a more self-absorbed athlete in my life, and he deserves nothing but the worst things in life. Why God would allow such a prick so much talent and wealth is beyond me. My only hope is that he blows his knees out and never plays again.

Considering the implications of his move, both to the NBA and to the local economy, I can see why it's so blown up. And sure he hasn't won anything yet, but you have to believe it's only a matter of time. I do agree that the constant drama is getting annoying though.

We'll let it fly :cool:

I'm not a fan of Lebron either. Quite a few in the media are putting him in the same class as Jordan, which considering the fact he's no where near that level makes all this hype just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

And actually there is a tie in. Even Florio is now admitting that it's nonsensical to think that NFL owners would be foolish and shortsighted enough to open themselves up to this kind of potential situation unfolding annually by giving up the franchise tag, which on some level insures they maintain control over these big ticket personalities whether they actually intend to placate them or not. In most cases they are therefore able to either retain them long term absent a public bidding war, reap a significant reward in lieu of retaining them, or hold onto them through their most productive years and only let them go when they are on the wrong side of 30 and not nearly as commanding of attention. Look at what happened to Peppers...by the time he was finally a UFA signing him wasn't really that big of a deal.

I also think it bears mention that this may be the last hurrah for obscene guaranteed max contracts in the NBA because owners claim it is killing the league...and the upcoming NBA CBA negotiations may lead to a work stoppage as a result.

And for some reason, his stupid press conference is listed as a headline on the ESPNBoston website. His public ego stroking on Thursday has literally zero bearing on Boston sports.

WOO! My boys just landed Bosch and brought back D-Wade!

NBA Free Agents: Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade say they'll play for Miami Heat - ESPN

And now, I personally do not care if LeBron comes to South Beach. It would be kind of cool to see a super team like that, but I would rather Riley spends the remaining money on higher calibur role players around both Bosch and Wade. Those two alone will make a formidable duo.

I would just be happy if I could watch basketball more often :)

I think the amount of hype given to James is due to the massive impact one organization - espn - has on sports and sports reporting. They had the contract to televise the NBA finals, and now they're milking whatever NBA-related stories while they can, while basketball is still fresh on people's minds.

The other day I ventured to their main site (yeah I know, dumb move) and where they post headlines with links to the top stories of the day, five of the top six links were NBA-related and not one about baseball - even though the NBA season ended weeks ago and MLB is in midseason.

To me this shows me 'news' portion of the organization, the side that reports on what is going on, is getting directive from the promotions side, the part that broadcasts events. I do understand its a business, but it seems that each year that passes they are more and more blatantly talking about whatever they broadcast and ignoring what they do not. Spelling bee and hot dog eating gets lots of coverage; hockey does not. If espn broadcasts the world cup it gets lots of coverage; if someone else has those broadcast rights the coverage drops dramatically.

Do we really think there would be so much talk about LeBron James if espn did not broadcast the NBA? They are such a powerful force on television that they set the tone for what is and is not relevant in the sports world in America. Sure, there are plenty of other sites and television networks, but they pretty much follow espn's lead, for fear of being left behind if they don't.

Depends where he signs. If he just stays with Cleveland then yes it is pretty lame. If he signs with Chicago or Miami, it may be the start of a dynasty. Definitely would be the biggest FA signing of the millenium.

I was thinking of getting into the act like NY and Cleveland and making my own video to have LeBron come to my nephew's 10th birthday party. I already got some local celebrities from my family lined up to be in the video. I got my Uncle Louie who bowled a perfect game in his bowling league, Cousin Sue who once sat next to Ben Affleck at a Red Sox game, and Uncle Fred who eventhough the local news said the police had a slam dunk case against him skated on a technicality.

And actually there is a tie in. Even Florio is now admitting that it's nonsensical to think that NFL owners would be foolish and shortsighted enough to open themselves up to this kind of potential situation unfolding annually by giving up the franchise tag, which on some level insures they maintain control over these big ticket personalities whether they actually intend to placate them or not. In most cases they are therefore able to either retain them long term absent a public bidding war, reap a significant reward in lieu of retaining them, or hold onto them through their most productive years and only let them go when they are on the wrong side of 30 and not nearly as commanding of attention. Look at what happened to Peppers...by the time he was finally a UFA signing him wasn't really that big of a deal.

I also think it bears mention that this may be the last hurrah for obscene guaranteed max contracts in the NBA because owners claim it is killing the league...and the upcoming NBA CBA negotiations may lead to a work stoppage as a result.

The league will never give up the franchise tag. The best the NFLPA can hope for is a way to increase the tender offer to make it more attractive for players to get tagged.

The league will never give up the franchise tag. The best the NFLPA can hope for is a way to increase the tender offer to make it more attractive for players to get tagged.

I think they have to do something though.
The tag now has the perception of the team doing something evil to the player rather than the excersizing of a collectively bargained right.
Just today, someone said kinda off the cuff, well of course Wilfork had a right to be upset when they tagged him.
The tag seems to have become a means for a player to act violated, hold out and demand a trade, rather than a way for the team to ensure they can keep players with unreasonable demands.

I think they have to do something though.
The tag now has the perception of the team doing something evil to the player rather than the excersizing of a collectively bargained right.
Just today, someone said kinda off the cuff, well of course Wilfork had a right to be upset when they tagged him.
The tag seems to have become a means for a player to act violated, hold out and demand a trade, rather than a way for the team to ensure they can keep players with unreasonable demands.

Yet, to me it would mean that the team want to keep the player, and want some more time to negotiate, as VW found out.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back