PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Lawrence Taylor arrested in rape allegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen one report where it wasn't described as third-degree rape and maximum four-year sentence, which equates to statutory. The media has not sensationalized this at all, except for the fact that a celebrity athlete was involved.

Living in NYC and listening to WFAN all Thursday & Friday, where they were on this all day (Yankee season never really starts 'till October, so who cares 'bout regular season anyway) for over 10 hours, I learned it's 3rd degree rape, which is a class D felony, which usually gets busted down to a misdemeanor. He's likely to get probation, not jail time.

Too bad, maybe The Pats could've used him all cracked-out & adrenalized at olb to bolster The Pats non-existent pass rush.

Living in NYC and listening to WFAN all Thursday & Friday, where they were on this all day (Yankee season never really starts 'till October, so who cares 'bout regular season anyway) for over 10 hours, I learned it's 3rd degree rape, which is a class D felony, which usually gets busted down to a misdemeanor. He's likely to get probation, not jail time.

And nobody goes to jail for dog-fighting as the experts predicted for Michael Vick. The rules for celebrities are different. While they usually escape justice due to their celebrity status or money which gets the top notch lawyers, when they do get convicted, they do get jail time to
serve as deterrents to others. Martha Stewart, Leona Helmsley and Vick all might have gotten probation had they had less name recognition...

And nobody goes to jail for dog-fighting as the experts predicted for Michael Vick. The rules for celebrities are different. While they usually escape justice due to their celebrity status or money which gets the top notch lawyers, when they do get convicted, they do get jail time to
serve as deterrents to others. Martha Stewart, Leona Helmsley and Vick all might have gotten probation had they had less name recognition...

In Vick's case, no. Way too egregious -- gambling, crossing state lines, etc., etc.

You may be right, it depends in part on how much publicity the DA wants. (Is he up for reelection soon?)

But the difference between Taylor and the ones you named is this: the others deliberately committed the felony crime they received the jail time for. Taylor committed a crime, using a prostitute, but that is a misdemeanor. As far as has been reported, he was unaware of the girl's age and did not deliberately commit statutory rape. There's no report that he said "bring me an underage girl" to the pimp or was told her real age.

Of course he's still on the hook, but the circumstances do greatly affect pleading and sentencing. Jail would in this case seem to be a miscarriage of justice, unlike the other cases you cite.

Okay, now I've heard everything... Are you kidding me?! Lol.

I mean if you've ever watched the movie, "Big Fan," then you know how amusing this reads.

Why this is amusing is simply, you've a sixteen year old girl stating that she's a "huge Giants fan" when Taylor retired from the NFL before she was even born. That is, Taylor retired in 1993. If she's sixteen (depending on whether or not she has already had her birthday this year), that would mean that she was born in either 1994 or 1995. She must have seen him [Taylor] in Tecmo Super Bowl.

The 16-year-old at the center of the rape charges against Lawrence Taylor didn't recognize the NFL great when she entered his hotel room—but now she says she's "a huge Giant fan" and not so sure he should go to jail. "I used to look up to him," she tells the New York Daily News, adding that—although it's a bit late for this now—"I don’t want to ruin his reputation."

"After all," she continues, "he's in the Hall of Fame and he won two Super Bowls." The girl confirms she was brought to the Holiday Inn by Rasheed Davis after being beaten, and that Taylor, who was naked when she walked in, "paid me $300 cash to have sex with him." The condom came off, she says, and "I told him, 'I'd better not get pregnant,' and he said, 'It's all right—I'm fixed.'"

Alleged Rape Victim: I Don't Want to Ruin Lawrence Taylor's Reputation

Okay, now I've heard everything... Are you kidding me?! Lol.

I mean if you've ever watched the movie, "Big Fan," then you know how amusing this reads.

Why this is amusing is simply, you've a sixteen year old girl stating that she's a "huge Giants fan" when Taylor retired from the NFL before she was even born. That is, Taylor retired in 1993. If she's sixteen (depending on whether or not she has already had her birthday this year), that would mean that she was born in either 1994 or 1995. She must have seen him [Taylor] in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Alleged Rape Victim: I Don't Want to Ruin Lawrence Taylor's Reputation

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Not to make light of the situation, but does this mean Taylor will be dropped by Midway as a spokesperson for the Blitz: The League video games? You'd think if anything, they'd want him to play it up.

Come to think of it, maybe that will be his lawyer's argument - he got too caught up in his role on Blitz and "could no longer separate fantasy from reality." :rolleyes:

The court should allow Taylor's defense team to play, "I Touch Myself," in the background to push their point home.

Lawrence Taylor will defend himself against the charge that he raped a 16-year-old prostitute by claiming he only masturbated and did not have sexual intercourse with the girl, a source close to former football player told ABC News.com.

Taylor does not deny being in an upstate New York hotel room with the girl, who police say was brought there by an abusive pimp.

Taylor's lawyer, however, will claim that he never had sex with the girl, a requisite for a rape conviction in New York State, the source said.

Lawrence Taylor's Rape Defense: I Only Touched Myself - ABC News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back