Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Dolphins | Eckel reportedly booted out of the Navy
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:15:29 -0800

Armando Salguero, of The Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins FB Kyle Eckel was kicked out of the Navy for an undisclosed reason, according to The Navy Times. Initial reports indicated Eckel received an early discharge so he could play in the NFL. As a result of being dismissed, Eckel now owes the Navy $96,229.56 for not fulfilling his service commitment. The report also claimed Eckel faces two assault charges and a sex-offense charge in Anne Arundel County District Court for an August incident, according to District Court of Maryland records. The charges were dropped and no reason was given for their dismissal.

Well then...:eek:

Wow.

When I first read that Eckel was out of the Navy and practicing with the doofins (under a year-long exemption, no less), I was pissed off, like feeling an old wound re-opened. I thought that what Saban pulled was bush-league, on some level similar to what the jest pulled with Meion. The Nicktator knew that Eckel could not find the same accommodations in Miami that were available in NE, but he claimed him anyway. Now, I don't know what to think.

captain stone said:
Wow.

When I first read that Eckel was out of the Navy and practicing with the doofins (under a year-long exemption, no less), I was pissed off, like feeling an old wound re-opened. I thought that what Saban pulled was bush-league, on some level similar to what the jest pulled with Meion. The Nicktator knew that Eckel could not find the same accommodations in Miami that were available in NE, but he claimed him anyway. Now, I don't know what to think.

Well, maybe it's just one more instance of when a player leaves here against our will things have a tendancy to spiral downhill career wise thereafter. :eek:

The only one whose had any success has been Wiggie, and even that's debateable depending on what you consider success. He is still playing productively, just doesn't have much to show for it beyond regular paychecks from one team or another. And in Wiggie's case he desperately wanted to stay but we had no interest because we were looking to upgrade. He never bad mouthed us as a result which is why the football gods have gone easy on him...:rolleyes:

If I were a GM I'd make it a point to steer clear of Belichick's former players on general principal...:D

PatsFan37 said:

Had always hoped he could make it with us.
My default assumption - although sometimes proven otherwise - is that
service academy players are good character dudes.

Now this appears to be one of those regrettable exceptions.
Good luck with the Phins, Kyle ... but not much!

MoLewisrocks said:
Dolphins | Eckel reportedly booted out of the Navy
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:15:29 -0800

Armando Salguero, of The Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins FB Kyle Eckel was kicked out of the Navy for an undisclosed reason, according to The Navy Times. Initial reports indicated Eckel received an early discharge so he could play in the NFL. As a result of being dismissed, Eckel now owes the Navy $96,229.56 for not fulfilling his service commitment. The report also claimed Eckel faces two assault charges and a sex-offense charge in Anne Arundel County District Court for an August incident, according to District Court of Maryland records. The charges were dropped and no reason was given for their dismissal.

I loved the guy pre-season last year and I hated to lose him at the time but now in retrospect, a criminal thug is better suited to Miami. Note that there are MULTIPLE offenses involved. Not a case of once being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Saban is not acquiting himself well in Miami.

Speaking of ex-Pats kharma. Charlie Weis who left on the best of terms, delaying recruiting for ND until the Pats season finished (in yet another SB) has had the best post Pats career. Good for him. Speaks volumes that Pats board loudmouths were SO wrong. For the 1,000th time.

MoLewisrocks said:
The only one whose had any success has been Wiggie, and even that's debateable depending on what you consider success.
Well, he's played for a few teams and has done okay since leaving here, but I think Greg Spires is the only player who left here and did really well afterwards.

Wiggins is the kind of TE who can do well on some teams (can catch, can't block). Some (most?) teams use TEs as receivers only.

Last edited:
PatsWickedPissah said:
I loved the guy pre-season last year and I hated to lose him at the time but now in retrospect, a criminal thug is better suited to Miami. Note that there are MULTIPLE offenses involved. Not a case of once being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Two things:

(1) In only one of the cases was he--allegedly--a suspect. [The other case mentioned he was a witness.]

(2) It's still not clear what happened that led to his leaving the Navy.

In other words, I'm not going to condemn him without knowing more, although admittedly it makes me wonder if he'd've made a good Patriot.

If Eckel left the Navy with anything other than an honorable discharge, then he's just another Marcus Vick... or worse.

Last edited:
There is an article in the NavyTimes.com with additional detail. The Navy will not divulge the nature of the discharge, but I don't think you get an honorable discharge when you are involuntarily separated. Often times it is a General Discharge as a compromise to forego the process of issuing a Dishonorable Discharge when they just want you gone. Could be while he was implicated as a witness in that other case, he didn't come forward with that information voluntarily, which would also explain his not being called in his buddies court martial.

"Former Naval Academy standout football player Kyle Eckel, now playing professionally for the Miami Dolphins, was kicked out of the Navy last month and will have to repay a portion of the cost of his Annapolis education.

Citing privacy concerns, the Navy would not characterize the specific nature of Eckel?s ?administrative separation? saying only that it was ?involuntary.? Eckel declined an interview request through a team representative, and attempts to reach his agent were unsuccessful.

?Ensign Eckel was administratively separated on 31 October 2006,? said Lt. Ryan Perry, a spokesman for the Navy?s Office of Information at the Pentagon. ?Due to personal privacy of the individual being discharged, the Navy does not discuss the reason for the service member?s discharge, nor the characterization of that discharge.?

According to a Nov. 2 announcement on the Dolphins? official Web site, Eckel was removed from the team?s Reserve/Military List and placed on the Exempt/Commissioner Permission List.

?Kyle Eckel got here late last night,? Dolphins Head Coach Nick Saban said in the announcement. ?He had a physical this morning. He received his discharge on October 31, 2006. By virtue of receiving that discharge, he became eligible to return to the team. He?s exempt for the rest of this year because of the commissioner?s permission list, so we get a roster exemption for him the rest of this year. If we want him on the 53-man roster, then we have to clear a roster spot for him and then we lose the exemption if we ever want to put him back. He has an exemption to get ready for the rest of the year and we go from there.?

?This is the next stage of my life,? Eckel, the fourth all-time leading rusher in Naval Academy history, told the Miami Herald on Nov. 3. ?And I?ll hit it head on.?

In recent months, Eckel has been battling more than just the Navy and NFL lineman. He faced two assault charges and a sex-offense charge in Anne Arundel County District Court for an August incident, according to District Court of Maryland records. The charges were later dropped. Navy officials however, said those charges were not connected to Eckel being booted from military service.

?The [Anne Arundel County] charges were not a factor in Ensign Eckel?s separation from the Navy,? Perry, the Navy Pentagon spokesman, said.

Eckel, however, could face another court appearance very soon, this time as a witness in a rape case involving former Navy football teammate Kenny Ray Morrison. In the criminal charging documents against Morrison, Eckel is identified as being present in a Washington, D.C., hotel room during a midshipman party Feb. 3.

During that party, Midshipman 1st Class Morrison is alleged to have raped a female midshipman.

The charges against Morrison allege he showed the ?nude or partially nude? body of the female midshipman to Eckel and another male midshipman by lifting a blanket off her.

Evidence against Morrison was presented at an Article 32 hearing at the Washington Navy Yard on Nov. 2, but Eckel was not called as a witness.

The Navy would not comment Nov. 16 on whether that incident played any role in Eckel?s discharge.

Regardless, Navy officials decided Oct. 31 to boot Eckel from the service.

By law, Naval Academy graduates who do not fulfill the required follow-on service commitment must repay the education expense on a prorated basis, according to Perry.

?Ensign Eckel did not fulfill his service commitment and must repay $96,229.56,? said Perry."

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2365903.php

Originally Posted by PatsWickedPissah

ctpatsfan77 said:
Two things:

(1) In only one of the cases was he--allegedly--a suspect. [The other case mentioned he was a witness.]

(2) It's still not clear what happened that led to his leaving the Navy.

In other words, I'm not going to condemn him without knowing more, although admittedly it makes me wonder if he'd've made a good Patriot.

Once more with details...

He faced two assault charges and a sex-offense charge in Anne Arundel County District Court for an August incident, according to District Court of Maryland records. The charges were later dropped. Navy officials however, said those charges were not connected to Eckel being booted from military service.

?The [Anne Arundel County] charges were not a factor in Ensign Eckel?s separation from the Navy,? Perry, the Navy Pentagon spokesman, said.

Eckel, however, could face another court appearance very soon, this time as a witness in a rape case involving former Navy football teammate Kenny Ray Morrison. In the criminal charging documents against Morrison, Eckel is identified as being present in a Washington, D.C., hotel room during a midshipman party Feb. 3.

During that party, Midshipman 1st Class Morrison is alleged to have raped a female midshipman.

The charges against Morrison allege he showed the ?nude or partially nude? body of the female midshipman to Eckel and another male midshipman by lifting a blanket off her

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes