PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Kolb traded to Arizona for DRC and 2nd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calciumee

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Per Schefter

Kevin Kolb-to-Cardinals trade done. Eagles get Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2nd. Kolb gets 5-year, $63.5 million deal, including $21 mil gtd.

Twitter

No surprise at all that Kolb gets traded to Arizona.

Very surprised at how much Philadelphia got in return.

Last edited:
Arizona got ripped off! Kolb isn't even that good! :eek:

Very surprised at how much Philadelphia got in return.

Just had a quick look on a Cards forum, and some were saying how they got ripped on the trade :)

That's an awful lot to give up in a trade and contract for a guy who is really not much more proven than a rookie.

Suddenly I feel ripped off again on our Cassel trade, lol.

Arizona got ripped off! Kolb isn't even that good! :eek:

I think Kolb can be a good player, especially that he has Fitz to throw to, but I can't see him worth that much!

So Eagles in 2 off-seasons have traded 2 QBs for 2 2nds and Rogers-Cromartie! Not bad business!

That's an awful lot to give up in a trade and contract for a guy who is really not much more proven than a rookie.

They always say that you never trade franchise QB's. Tells me Kolb isn't a franchise QB.

I don't think DRC is that great, he relies too much on his speed and gets burnt more than he should. That 2nd should be pretty valuable.

I have to give Reid alot of credit. He also has a solid team and has good players. Just can't seem to get over the hump. Never sure why.

oh wow that's hilarious. That's disgusting how badly the Cards got ripped off.

Ouch. I hope he lives up to all of this hype. If he doesn't pan out I could see Larry jumping ship at the end of the 2011 season.

Suddenly I feel ripped off again on our Cassel trade, lol.

I think Kolb can be a good player, especially that he has Fitz to throw to, but I can't see him worth that much!

So Eagles in 2 off-seasons have traded 2 QBs for 2 2nds and Rogers-Cromartie! Not bad business!

OTOH, remember that Kolb was the #36(!) pick in 2007.

Cassel was the 230th pick in 2005. :D

And, BTW, here's a bit more analysis on the subject.

I trust the writer. ;)

Last edited:
at least the cards are only stuck for 21 guaranteed if he stinks the joint up.

Did I read that Breaston has gone elsewhere also?

Wow, Cards paid a ton, between trade and contract, for Kolb. It's hard to find good QBs in the NFL, though, so if you think you can get one you have to overpay sometimes. Plus they pretty much had to make a move to keep Fitzgerald happy.

Last edited:
Wow, Cards paid a ton, between trade and contract, for Kolb. It's hard to find good QBs in the NFL, though, so if you think you can get one you have to overpay sometimes. Plus they pretty much had to make a move to keep Fitzgerald happy.

And so Whisenhunt can keep his job. Could be on hotseat with a poor season in an easy division.

Let's see what the history has been for up-and-coming QBs in NFL trades:

2011: Kevin Kolb gets traded for a 2nd round pick and a 3-year starting CB with one Pro Bowl appearance. Kolb was a 2nd round pick, 36th overall, with 7 career starts and 319 career pass attempts.

2009: Matt Cassel gets traded along with an aging starting linebacker for a 2nd round pick. Cassel was a 7th round pick, 230th overall, with 15 career starts and 555 career pass attempts.

2007: Matt Schaub gets traded for a 2007 2nd and 2008 2nd, plus the teams swap 1st round picks. Schaub was drafted in the 3rd round, 90th overall, with 2 career starts and 161 career pass attempts.

2001: Matt Hasselbeck gets traded along with pick 1.17 and a 7th round pick for 1.10 and a 3rd round pick. Hasselbeck was drafted in the 6th round, 187th overall, with zero career starts and 29 career pass attempts.

1995: Mark Brunell gets traded for a 3rd and a 5th round pick. Brunell was drafted in the 5th round, 118th overall the previous year, with zero starts and 27 career completions.

So did the Patriots, relatively speaking, not get enough in return for Cassel? Perhaps; then again I think Kolb and Schaub were still held in higher esteem by other teams because of how they were rated coming out of college. With so little pro experience to go on, teams still relied on the college film.

OTOH, remember that Kolb was the #36(!) pick in 2007.

Cassel was the 230th pick in 2005. :D

Why is where a player is picked the slightest bit relevant?

Let's take a look at their numbers before they were traded:

In 08 Cassel played 16 games, threw for 3,693 yds, 21tds, and 11 ints, with 63.4% completions.

Now we'll blend the 09 and 10 seasons for Kolb, he ends up with 12 games, 1,938yds, 11tds, 10ints, and 62.7% completions. If we adjust his game numbers to 16 that leaves us with 2,584yds, 15tds, and 13ints.

Cassel performed SIGNIFICANTLY better than Kolb did, the simple fact is that BB got owned by Pioli on that trade, we should gave gotten AT LEAST a 1st round pick for him, not to mention we threw in Vrabel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes