Mawae Speaks Out Regarding his Pending Release
[font=verdana,arial,tahoma,sans-serif]By Sean M. Deegan[/font]
[font=verdana,arial,tahoma,sans-serif]Publisher, JetsInsider.com[/font]
[email protected] [font=verdana,arial,tahoma,sans-serif]
March 3rd, 2006
[/font]

[font=verdana,arial,tahoma,sans-serif]
mawaebills04.jpg
[font=verdana,arial,tahoma,sans-serif]Kevin Mawae believes unless a miracle occurs, he'll be officially and ex-Jet by Sunday. (JetsInsider.com Photo) [/font]
With the NFL giving teams a three day extension to get under the salary cap late today, Jets C Kevin Mawae is still officially on the team. However, after speaking with Jets Insider.com this evening, he feels that barring a miracle, he's played his last game for Gang Green.

That being said, Mawae has chosen Jets Insider.com to give an exclusive address and commentary on his situation.

"To all the Jets fans on Jets Insider.com, I just want to say thank you for your commitment to the New York Jets. I have never been around so many people who love their team as much as you do! Over the past 8 years of playing in the green and white, one thing I could count on was the Jets faithful being in the stands. The word around the locker rooms is that even when the Jets are losing, the fans still come out just to boo the players. That may have been so from time to time, but the impressive thing was that you were still there! From the Monday Night Miracle to the Baltimore debacle, you have been there for your team. As a player I say thank you.

I have been a regular reader of this site for a few years, and although I have never actually posted on the messageboard, I enjoy seeing what the fans are thinking, and it's awesome the amount of knowledge you have for the game! (For the most part.) I know I have made a few friends and gained a ton of fans for what I have done over the past 8 seasons, it's playing in front of fans like you that makes the game so much fun for me.

I also know that there are a few fans who never really cared for me or thought of me as overrated, called me a whiner or selfish etc. To you, I appreciate your opinion, however diluted it may be. Your comments only added fuel to the passion that is already inside of me to play the greatest game on earth!

Finally to clear the air on "insider reports" on my situation, I would like to say that in the 8 years I have been here, I have lived up to every aspect of my contract both in and out of season, on and off the field. When I restructured my deal 4 years ago, I thought I would retire as a New York Jet. My contract was structured in such a way to prevent a situation that I face this weekend, where I could possibly be released due to salary cap restrictions.

For the record, my cap number for the 2006 season is $4.46m. My actual salary is $2.8m. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if I am officially cut, the cap savings the NY Jets will get will only be $1.6m. Considering the fact that the team is still nearly 12 million over the cap even after my departure shows that this decision is not about money, but more about the direction management wants to take the team.

I have no ill will towards Mike Tannebaum or Eric Mangini and never will. I do however take exception to those who "know the situation" and want to call me greedy, disloyal, an **hole, or whatever. I have been nothing but a team player, an encourager, and a teacher to my teammates over the years. I have never let money be a motivating factor in the way I play the game and I never will. I do believe in the value of team work, hard work, and professionalism. Unfortunately this isn't the priorities of some people. In addition, I do believe that when you sign a contract, you are giving your word to the other party that you will perform at your very best to fulfill every aspect of that word. I have done just that, and expected to continue with that goal throughout the remainder of my contract only now I face the fact that contracts and your word are only binding on one side in the NFL.

With all this being said, my hope is that the fans of New York will remember the effort, hard work, dedication, and passion I have displayed over the past 8 years. I thank you for your support, I thank God for my time in New York and I thank my teammates, coaches, and management for the opportunity to ply my trade in the greatest city in America!"

God bless you all,

Kevin Mawae
Col 3:23
[/font]

This was some article that showed up in my spam folder this morning, thought it might be of interest to some.

Come on, who's gonna say it?
[/font]

Wow, there's alot of closet JI members around here. :D

huskeralk said:

Regardless, a classy move. I'ld love to have him, if he's affordable. I often wonder which Patriots read this board.

huskeralk said:

unlike you, who have come out of the closet:D

T-ShirtDynasty said:
This was some article that showed up in my spam folder this morning, thought it might be of interest to some.

[/font]

I got one too.

The thing that struck me was that he admitted coming to the JEST board and reading the post.

You might remember that last fall I had started a thread wondering if players and coaches read that post on our board. Ian did confirm that famiily members did read our post and probably some of the players and someo fthe coaches.

Another reminder that,unless we don't care if we may offend these people, we should temper our hammering of individual players and coaches.

dryheat44 said:
Regardless, a classy move. I'ld love to have him, if he's affordable. I often wonder which Patriots read this board.
I'd feel a lot better about the safety of our DL's knees.

Boston Boxer said:
unlike you, who have come out of the closet:D

Not I, the mighty Soothsayer gave me my walking papers. :D

dryheat44 said:

What I'm really wondering, is how the people who have called him a dirty player and ranted about his knee-diving etc.... would feel about seeing him in a Patriots Uni?

If he's out in the market and affordable, do you want to see him brought in regardless of his reputation?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
What I'm really wondering, is how the people who have called him a dirty player and ranted about his knee-diving etc.... would feel about seeing him in a Patriots Uni?

If he's out in the market and affordable, do you want to see him brought in regardless of his reputation?

I never thought he was trying to take out Washington on that play. I like my linemen to be nasty, within the rules. I think salary is going to be prohibitive, though.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

While ideed it was a classy thing for him to do for the Jets fans, it doesn't change my feeling about him. I still think he's a dirty player, although clearly one of the best centers to play the game as of late. I for one don't want see him in a Pats uniform.

For the record, my cap number for the 2006 season is $4.46m. My actual salary is $2.8m. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if I am officially cut, the cap savings the NY Jets will get will only be $1.6m.

I must not be a genius, then, or he gave us incomplete numbers.

From the numbers he gives, it will cost the Jests 1.6 mil to cut him, but they will save $2.8 mil.

spacecrime said:
For the record, my cap number for the 2006 season is $4.46m. My actual salary is $2.8m. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if I am officially cut, the cap savings the NY Jets will get will only be $1.6m.

I must not be a genius, then, or he gave us incomplete numbers.

From the numbers he gives, it will cost the Jests 1.6 mil to cut him, but they will save $2.8 mil.

Don't feel bad. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.

dryheat44 said:

Brilliant!

I don't like what Mawae has done to various DLs -- but I think that that message was just fantastic.

You're right, PatsNUT, it should make us think twice about ripping players if they drop by boards like this. But by and large it's just the opposite -- think how much respect and affection the players get from us. And those players who have their detractors -- Bethel, Klecko, Starks -- have their supporters too. The message they should get is: we want them to do well, we really do!

And then there's Hank Poteat ...

I saw the supposed hit on seymore that knocked him out a couple of weeks by mawae. What I saw was not a deliberate attempt to injure another player but a nasty block on a fallen defender (Vrabel I think) who was starting to get back up, Seymore was facing the other direction but Mawaes block pushed Vrabel into Seymores leg. Mawae never even made eye contact with Sey. If it was Mankins that made that same block most of us would have cheered about it. Myself included.
As far as Ted Washington goes well, right in front of a national audience Mawae confronted Ted about the whole thing in between plays. Ted just said "It was cool" or something to that affect.
Now having said that, I have to say that yeah he would be an awsesome addition to this offensive line and from the sound of his letter to Jets fans a pretty upstanding guy.
Now come on guys. How nasty would our Oline be with Mawae lining right next to Mankins. Oh the things they could teach each other.
Koppen's already talking about testing the FA waters anyway. I think KW would love to play with the Pats and he would make our Offense that much better immediately.
I hope your reading this Kevin. Come on board, dude.

dryheat44 said:
:rofl:

Good old Norm, Mr EM3 himself.

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:

[/font]

hehehehe....I got that email too!

I'll bite, TSD.......Boy would Mawae look AWESOME in a Pats uni.... ;) Would he be able to play multiple positions on the line??

Nut, you are going to have to clue me in on Norman......

Last edited:
363839 said:
I saw the supposed hit on seymore that knocked him out a couple of weeks by mawae. What I saw was not a deliberate attempt to injure another player but a nasty block on a fallen defender (Vrabel I think) who was starting to get back up, Seymore was facing the other direction but Mawaes block pushed Vrabel into Seymores leg. Mawae never even made eye contact with Sey. If it was Mankins that made that same block most of us would have cheered about it. Myself included.
As far as Ted Washington goes well, right in front of a national audience Mawae confronted Ted about the whole thing in between plays. Ted just said "It was cool" or something to that affect.
Now having said that, I have to say that yeah he would be an awsesome addition to this offensive line and from the sound of his letter to Jets fans a pretty upstanding guy.
Now come on guys. How nasty would our Oline be with Mawae lining right next to Mankins. Oh the things they could teach each other.
Koppen's already talking about testing the FA waters anyway. I think KW would love to play with the Pats and he would make our Offense that much better immediately.
I hope your reading this Kevin. Come on board, dude.

My viewpoint was that Mawae dove over Vrabel, who was on the ground, and into Seymour's left calf. That said, he is a heck of a center, and I'd rather have him than play against him. Don't think he's injured his own LT yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey