Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Kendall's Bad Snaps = F.U. to Mangini?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JoeSixPat, Aug 18, 2007.

1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -3

Over the last few months it seems to me that Mangini has handled the Pete Kendall situation very poorly with such things as putting him in the rookie dorm during training camp (a "mistake" that Mangini says he knew nothing about - yeah right.)

But at the end of the day, Kendall's under contract (like Branch was) and if indeed there's some truth to the contention of the hypothesis below, this situation could have an impact on other teams and other players pushing for a new contract.

Let's hope Mangini is smart enough to deal with this the right way given the implications it has for other teams.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -3

In another PFT report many "insiders" email Florio regarding the Kendall contract.

It looks like Mangini and Tannenbaum completely gave in to Revis - but I think Florio and others are missing a point.

Yes - the Jets did cave to a degree, in that the deal reverts to a 4 year deal if Revis plays just 35% of the snaps on defense in any one season. But it looks like the Jets retain the right to buy back the two additional years at $5 million and $11 million respecitvely - or an average of $8 million.

Yes - that would be a whopping $27 million guaranteed if it comes to be - but as of today its not guaranteed. If Revis hasn't played up to high expectations they "let" him walk after 4 years. But I'd contend they might not really want him at that point anyway.

And if he's as good as they hope, they pay another $8 million a season for years 5 and 6 - possibly reupping him to lessen the cap hit in year 6.

So maybe this isn't the worst compromise for Mangini after all - but to me it still raises the point, on the heels of the Kendall situation, whether Mangini's (and Tannenbaum's) poor player management is going to have repercussions throughout the rest of the league

Ultimately the way this looks to me is this: The Jets retain the right to make this a 6 year deal - in which case they will have paid Revis a ton of moolah - but if Revis isn't worth it they all go their separate ways, with the Jets having overpaid somewhat for a 4 year deal.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007