PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Johnny Bigmouth says Texans will regret it

He gonna take off if his first read is covered and get crushed by the defensive guys at this level. A compact car crash vs a tractor trailer is usually really bad for the compact car driver. Even though his car is quicker and more agile.

Hey Johnny, welcome to the NFL

Attachments

• car semi.jpg
    car semi.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 50
I have zero issue with guys being confident in themselves - quite the opposite, in fact, the Brady story with Kraft is one of my favorites. In Manziel's case, his vast self-confidence is certainly understandable given what he has produced on the field in the SEC ...

But I would really question what he gains by saying it. I think he did himself no favors at all with this.

If he wants to be the #1 overall pick, I think he needs to show more awareness of the possible interpretations of what he says and does, and err on the side of caution for now. There's a lot that comes with being the "new face of the franchise" in a billion dollar enterprise. He needs to show the Texans, Jaguars, and Browns that he gets that part of it (it's probably not an issue for the Raiduhs)

Manziel reminds me of Tim Tebow's playing style, mixed with Ryan Leaf's attitude, wrapped in a 12 year old's body.

So you like him then?

What the hell is that supposed to mean? I hope you were just going for a little good-natured ribbing but that could be interpreted to be in really bad taste and way waaaay over the line.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? I hope you were just going for a little good-natured ribbing but that could be interpreted to be in really bad taste and way waaaay over the line.

How do you take that to be bad taste? It was a joke, no more.

Oh I see. Wow! I don't think I've ever had someone misread a post of mine so blatantly.

Can he throw a 15 yard pass on a rope to the far touch line though? That's my doubt when it comes to Manziel.

I wish this was the discussion ESPN/draftniks would have when talking about Manziel. Sadly as this thread has shown, it rarely happens.

Fair Game IMO with Manziel:

-Arm Strength on intermediate passes
-How will he handle being under center/play action?
-Durability to an extent (the criticism that he will break in half is unwarranted. He was tough as nails in college. The Auburn game was quite the example)
-Will he have a gunslinger mentality and make questionable throws like Favre/Luck?

Bogus criticisms IMO:

-Height
-Accuracy
-He can't read a defense
-He doesn't have the football IQ.
-He's arrogant/selfish
-He's not a team leader
-He doesn't have a good work ethic

I wish this was the discussion ESPN/draftniks would have when talking about Manziel. Sadly as this thread has shown, it rarely happens.

Fair Game IMO with Manziel:

-Arm Strength on intermediate passes
-How will he handle being under center/play action?
-Durability to an extent (the criticism that he will break in half is unwarranted. He was tough as nails in college. The Auburn game was quite the example)
-Will he have a gunslinger mentality and make questionable throws like Favre/Luck?

Bogus criticisms IMO:

-Height
-Accuracy
-He can't read a defense
-He doesn't have the football IQ.
-He's arrogant/selfish
-He's not a team leader
-He doesn't have a good work ethic

I agree. I can see how Manziel can win in the NFL, he'll need a specially built scheme, but his arm strength is a legitimate question mark for me.

The Newly designed Manziel scheme will be one card that reads:

"Snap ball to Johnny and see what happens"

How do you take that to be bad taste? It was a joke, no more.

Oh I see. Wow! I don't think I've ever had someone misread a post of mine so blatantly.

If you quoted my whole post. Or if you quoted absolutely any ******* sentence of mine except the one you did it wouldn't have been a problem. But quoting that one sentence and coming back with that exact retort is totally ****ed up.

Dude, you're in a hole. Stop digging.

If you quoted my whole post. Or if you quoted absolutely any ******* sentence of mine except the one you did it wouldn't have been a problem. But quoting that one sentence and coming back with that exact retort is totally ****ed up.

Yeah, I was focused on the Tebow and Leaf part of the statement. What you are accusing me of saying didn't even occur to me. But then joking that complete strangers are paedophiles rarely does.

Please feel free to apologise whenever you like. Until then, feck off!

Max is one of the nicest posters here on the boards. He wasn't try to do anything malicious to you. You should apologize to him.

To be fair, though, Bill Belichick voiced that exact concern about Tebow—and scrambling quarterbacks in general—back in 2010.

For my part, I feel like this is Matt Leinart all over again.

If he's studying Brady, that at least shows everyone that he knows he can't just up and flee the pocket every time the rush gets remotely close to him. At his size, he'll get killed in the NFL if he does that. Pencil me in for someone that likes his confidence, though. That said, if I'm the Texans, I would definitely be pairing Clowney up with Watt on that DL.

Right or wrong i wouldn't touch Manziel. He is not the guy I would want leading my team.

If he's studying Brady, that at least shows everyone that he knows he can't just up and flee the pocket every time the rush gets remotely close to him. At his size, he'll get killed in the NFL if he does that. Pencil me in for someone that likes his confidence, though. That said, if I'm the Texans, I would definitely be pairing Clowney up with Watt on that DL.

I am not a big believer in Clowney, imo the Texans should trade out of the #1 spot. They would be better off trading back and taking Barr or Mack at LB and adding a CB. They should make as much noise as possible about trading to a team that wants Johnny Douchebag and see if they can get the Browns to give them both firsts.

I am not a big believer in Clowney, imo the Texans should trade out of the #1 spot. They would be better off trading back and taking Barr or Mack at LB and adding a CB. They should make as much noise as possible about trading to a team that wants Johnny Douchebag and see if they can get the Browns to give them both firsts.

It depends on what they would net in return. But Clowney looks like he's going to be the real deal. He has a prototypical build for the NFL and a wide array of moves he uses to beat opposing LT's. Pairing him with Watt on the same line would be a nightmare for any of the QB's in that division.

Johnny Manziel Says Texans Passing on Him at No. 1 Would Be Huge Mistake | Bleacher Report

"I want them to say absolutely, without a doubt, with 100 percent certainty, that I'm who they want.

I want everybody from the janitor at Reliant Stadium to the front office executive assistant all the way up to (owner) Bob McNair to say, 'This kid is 100 percent, can't miss. This is who we want being the face of our program. We want the Texas kid staying in Texas and leading the Texans.'”

Sorry Casell, Mallet and Schaub. Johnny has spoken.

Johnny reminds me of Ryan Leaf with his attitude. His arrogance will not play well in a locker room, it is not the type of confidence that is contagious it is the type that will piss people off. I believe any team who takes him in the first round will be making a catastrophic mistake.

He is undersized and although he praises Russell Wilson, the difference between him and Wilson is that he does not have the maturity and the disciple.

It depends on what they would net in return. But Clowney looks like he's going to be the real deal. He has a prototypical build for the NFL and a wide array of moves he uses to beat opposing LT's. Pairing him with Watt on the same line would be a nightmare for any of the QB's in that division.

As much as the Texans need a QB, they should take Clowney. They have a legitimate chance to have the greatest bookend defensive ends in the history of the NFL with Clowney and Watt on the same roster.

Looking at the starting QBs in the NFL to end 2013-14 there were only six that were #1 overall selections.

• Carson Palmer-2003 (1)
• Matt Ryan-2008 (3)
• Joe Flacco-2008 (18)
• Thad Lewis-2010 (undrafted)
• Cam Newton-2011 (1)
• Jay Cutler-2006 (11)
• Andy Dalton-2011 (35)
• Jason Campbell-2005 (25)
• Kyle Orton-2005 (106)
• Peyton Manning-1998 (1)
• Matthew Stafford-2009 (1)
• Aaron Rodgers-2005 (24)
• Matt Schaub-2004 (90)
• Andrew Luck-2012 (1)
• Chad Henne-2008 (57)
• Chase Daniel-2009 (undrafted)
• Ryan Tannehill-2012 (8)
• Matt Cassel-2005 (230)
• Tom Brady-2000 (199)
• Drew Brees-2001 (32)
• Eli Manning-2004 (1)
• Geno Smith-2013 (39)
• Terrelle Pryor-2011 (supplemental draft)
• Nick Foles-2012 (88)
• Ben Roethlisberger-2004 (11)
• Philip Rivers-2004 (4)
• Colin Kaepernick-2011 (36)
• Russell Wilson-2012 (75)
• Kellen Clemens-2006 (49)
• Mike Glennon-2013 (73)
• Ryan Fitzpatrick-2005 (250)
• Kirk Cousins-2012 (102)

The Texans can find a very good QB later in the draft or they can trade for a Mallett or Cousins who will likely be just as good as any of the top QBs in the 2014 draft class. There is no sure thing like Luck or Manning in this draft.

As much as the Texans need a QB, they should take Clowney. They have a legitimate chance to have the greatest bookend defensive ends in the history of the NFL with Clowney and Watt on the same roster.

Looking at the starting QBs in the NFL to end 2013-14 there were only six that were #1 overall selections.

• Carson Palmer-2003 (1)
• Matt Ryan-2008 (3)
• Joe Flacco-2008 (18)
• Thad Lewis-2010 (undrafted)
• Cam Newton-2011 (1)
• Jay Cutler-2006 (11)
• Andy Dalton-2011 (35)
• Jason Campbell-2005 (25)
• Kyle Orton-2005 (106)
• Peyton Manning-1998 (1)
• Matthew Stafford-2009 (1)
• Aaron Rodgers-2005 (24)
• Matt Schaub-2004 (90)
• Andrew Luck-2012 (1)
• Chad Henne-2008 (57)
• Chase Daniel-2009 (undrafted)
• Ryan Tannehill-2012 (8)
• Matt Cassel-2005 (230)
• Tom Brady-2000 (199)
• Drew Brees-2001 (32)
• Eli Manning-2004 (1)
• Geno Smith-2013 (39)
• Terrelle Pryor-2011 (supplemental draft)
• Nick Foles-2012 (88)
• Ben Roethlisberger-2004 (11)
• Philip Rivers-2004 (4)
• Colin Kaepernick-2011 (36)
• Russell Wilson-2012 (75)
• Kellen Clemens-2006 (49)
• Mike Glennon-2013 (73)
• Ryan Fitzpatrick-2005 (250)
• Kirk Cousins-2012 (102)

The Texans can find a very good QB later in the draft or they can trade for a Mallett or Cousins who will likely be just as good as any of the top QBs in the 2014 draft class. There is no sure thing like Luck or Manning in this draft.

If I'm the Texans, I'm drafting Clowney then taking a look at McCarron later on. McCarron played in a very similar offense to the one BOB is going to run in Houston and may be able to step in and make an impact immediately.

I am always leery of prospects who have a questionable work ethic and that gets magnified when you have to use one of the top picks in the draft for them. You could be right and he could be a great player, there's no doubting his athleticism and potential, but i would take a guy like Barr over him and add a CB if I were the Texans. All of that would take place after i traded the #33 to the Patriots for Mallett, of course...........

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back