Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan24

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Do you like the way he calls a game? To me John Madden is still the voice of the NFL and he is the only broadcaster I would watch a game I did not care about just because he was calling it.

I like Madden ... he's entertaining and adds some insight. I tune in to watch the game and I don't like guys that talk too much ... Madden doesn't talk too much.

A muted TV & background music are my friends while watching football.

Last edited:
Madden is the master of the obvious. He loves to throw out lines lines like "Brady likes to throw to Randy Moss because he is the best receiver on the Patriots" or "They really need to stop him on this third down attempt".

Madden used to be the most insightful color guy in the game, but now he is living off of reputation. I don't know if it age or him just getting complacent, but I really don't find the guy all that useful in the game. Madden ain't the worst color guy out there, but he usually doesn't tell me anything I don't already know.

For my money, Troy Aikman is the best color guy in the game right now although I hate all things Cowboys and Joe Buck. Pairing up Aikman and Michaels would be the best duo in a decade. Or I wish Al Michaels didn't hate Boomer Esiason so much because I thought he was far better working with Michaels than Madden.

Last edited:
Madden is the master of the obvious. He loves to throw out lines lines like "Brady likes to throw to Randy Moss because he is the best receiver on the Patriots" or "They really need to stop him on this third down attempt".

While true, he is still one of the most knowledgeable out there. He'll string together a lot of nonsense, then come back with a line-blocking breakdown showing how the center's quick half-step made the whole play possible.

I'll take the ramblings with the insight.

Do you like the way he calls a game? To me John Madden is still the voice of the NFL and he is the only broadcaster I would watch a game I did not care about just because he was calling it.

The guy is great. How do you not like a HOF'er that's been around the sport for as long as he has?

He says goofy stuff and ball washes Farve, but listen to him talk about the Patriots and you'd think he was on our payroll - If you have a chance watch that second Pats vs. Bills game - Madden and Michaels must have called the Patriots the greatest team 20 times - The broadcast was like a 3 1/2 hour long Tom Brady/Belichick/Moss Hall of Fame induction speech.

Love the guy, I'm just not sure he knows how to tie his shoes anymore, but who cares he loves the game and it shows.

I'm just trying to figure out where he got his video game producing degree from...he makes one heck of a football game, all by himself.

He adds nothing. He started an observation of Jayson Taylor during Sunday's hall of fame game with, "This is a guy, who's a guy that's a good guy...."

I played it back a few times just for laughs. I wish I could make it into a ring tone.

He adds nothing. He started an observation of Jayson Taylor during Sunday's hall of fame game with, "This is a guy, who's a guy that's a good guy...."

I played it back a few times just for laughs. I wish I could make it into a ring tone.

Not everyone can articulate themselves as well as you. ;)

Smell the irony :D

I am ok with Madden. I actually preferred him with Pat Summerall (sp?), but he's ok on Sunday nights.

He was the first to admit how wrong he was with his "They should be taking a knee and playing in overtime" comment, which he didn't have to. He could have just pretended he never said it.

I forgot to mention ...

He was way better when he was on the sauce ... he's still okay but back then ... :p:p

John has jumped the shark.

I like him.

I remember back in the dark ages when I was actually very PROUD when Madden and Summerall would call a Pats game. At some stretches they got such little national attention...

I love John Madden. Sure he says some obvious things, and sure he repeats himself a lot, but it's always interspersed with some very insightful remarks about line play, or playcalling. There are very few things a Madden/Michaels combo will miss during a game.

Also, Madden's unbridled enthusiasm adds to my enjoyment.

A bad announcer(s) might make me watch the game on mute. But no announcer will make me watch a game. But Madden/Michaels are clearly a sound-on game. They're a very good pairing.

If anyone has a problem with Madden calling games, just watch Bryant Gumball kill ratings on the NFL network games.............after that train-wreck you will be humping the TV with happiness when you hear Madden!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes