PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jimmy Williams cut by Falcons

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere. He was pretty highly regarded coming out of college. Maybe he just needs a new environment to play under. Not saying anything.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Falcons released defensive back Jimmy Williams Tuesday afternoon and signed seventh-round draft pick Wilrey Fontenot to a rookie contract.

Williams, a second-round selection in the 2006 NFL Draft, appeared in 27 games for the Birds over the past two years. In that time the Virginia Tech product recorded 40 tackles, three passes defensed and one interception.

Williams played cornerback during his rookie season but switched to safety prior to the 2007 campaign. He appeared in 14 games last season, seeing action both on defense and special teams. He was slated to remain at safety under the Falcons new coaching staff.

Fontenot, 5-9, 169 pounds, started all 46 games he played in during his productive college career at the University of Arizona. Fontenot totaled 174 tackles (130 solos), five interceptions and 25 passes defensed for the Wildcats. He was the first of the two seventh-round choices by the Falcons this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting cut from the Falcons surely doesn't speak well of him.

He's supposedly slow for a CB, Virginia Tech must have a fast track because his pro day numbers :

20 yard shuttle 4.14
3 cone 6.69

are pretty good.

At the combine, Wheatley posted a 4.20, 6.74 respectively and Wilhite was 4.41, 7.17 at his pro day. In fact the 6.69 3 cone would have been the best in this past year's CB draft (of the ones NFL Draft Scout has listed) as Wheatley was tied with DRC for the best.

To heavy for corner to soft for safety.

Dimitroff doesn't want him.

I am happy with our DB situation right now and I am not sure this guy improves on any of the guys here now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but he is young surely he could challenge a Jason Webster, mike richardson, antwan spann to make the roster more competitive.
I think the Jets scoop him up and improve a already impressive secondary.
Is he on waivers or free to go to any team?

Yeah but he is young surely he could challenge a Jason Webster, mike richardson, antwan spann to make the roster more competitive.
Is he on waivers or free to go to any team?

Waivers.

And I'll refrain from saying anything else in this thread. I think I said enough in the Bentley and Peters threads. ;)

Who?

10 characters.

You really have to screw the pooch to get cut 2 years after being a top 40 pick on a team that has holes at every position. Maybe there's something to him but he's not worth much more than a tryout.

Getting cut from the Falcons surely doesn't speak well of him.

He's supposedly slow for a CB, Virginia Tech must have a fast track because his pro day numbers :

20 yard shuttle 4.14
3 cone 6.69

are pretty good.

At the combine, Wheatley posted a 4.20, 6.74 respectively and Wilhite was 4.41, 7.17 at his pro day. In fact the 6.69 3 cone would have been the best in this past year's CB draft (of the ones NFL Draft Scout has listed) as Wheatley was tied with DRC for the best.

All those impressive numbers were before he showed up to camp way overweight. He couldn't run those times now going downhill.

Not saying he wouldn't be worth a look, but being cut from the falcons for sucking is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

You are accepting the judgement of the one of the very worst team's in football.

Is Williams POSSIBLY good enough to be our 8th or 9th defensive back? I would think so. The cost of his signing bonus wouldn't be much.

ROSTER
CB: Hobbs, Bryant, Wheatley
S : Harrison, Sanders, Meriweather, Tank Williams
DB competitors: Wilhite, Richardson, Spann, Ventrone, Andrews, Webster, Sanders

There are a lot of folks competing for the last two spots. Some would argue that Tank Willams isn't a lock. There always room for another competitor.

You really have to screw the pooch to get cut 2 years after being a top 40 pick on a team that has holes at every position. Maybe there's something to him but he's not worth much more than a tryout.

i really think that we should sign this guy.

You are accepting the judgement of the one of the very worst team's in football.

Is Williams POSSIBLY good enough to be our 8th or 9th defensive back? I would think so. The cost of his signing bonus wouldn't be much.

ROSTER

There are a lot of folks competing for the last two spots. Some would argue that Tank Willams isn't a lock. There always room for another competitor.

tank williams is a lock. bank on it. as for williams, i don't know anything about the guy, but i have to agree with the others. getting cut from a really bad team is not a good thing. besides, Dimitroff probably looks for the same kind of players that b.b. does? ya think?

Last edited:
I think the DB situation is looking rather good right now. If he couldn't keep his spot on the Falcons, I don't see much hope of him doing so on the Patriots.

Sign and trade for Seward? :rolleyes:

Why haven't we signed him yet?

ROSTER

Played both CB and S in college. Definitely an upgrade over James Sanders anyway. Think even at 20 lbs overweight from 236 lbs back to 216 lbs he is a SS. He is faster than Sanders even at this weight and he can tackle. You have nothing to lose if you can sign him. I don't really think the 20 lbs was the real story though.
DW Toys

Played both CB and S in college. Definitely an upgrade over James Sanders anyway. Think even at 20 lbs overweight from 236 lbs back to 216 lbs he is a SS. He is faster than Sanders even at this weight and he can tackle. You have nothing to lose if you can sign him. I don't really think the 20 lbs was the real story though.
DW Toys

Are you kidding me?

Definitely an upgrade over a starter on an 18-1 team. The guy is being cut after two seasons of doing nothing. he is not an upgrade over Willie Andrews nevermind starters.

How does a guy who can't make the squad on a team with a horrible secondary improve a team with an impressive secondary?

Does it matter to anyone that our former head of scouting, the guy who helped shape our own team, cut this guy?

How does a guy who can't make the squad on a team with a horrible secondary improve a team with an impressive secondary?

Does it matter to anyone that our former head of scouting, the guy who helped shape our own team, cut this guy?

Where the heck is Ty Law?

Well, the team signed Hobson after the Jets let him loose, so I'm not sure that there's an absolute bar here. That being said, I'm not interested in this player.

Are you kidding me?

Definitely an upgrade over a starter on an 18-1 team. The guy is being cut after two seasons of doing nothing. he is not an upgrade over Willie Andrews nevermind starters.

I agree that comment is way over rated.. But I'm not a big Sanders fan.. I think he's avg at best. To me, he is the typical JAG..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes