PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets suspend Sal Alosi indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaches have a specific area they need to be in, away from the playing field, and saying their lining up (but staying completely within) that area is impeding opposing players is going way too far. The wall was legal as long as it stayed an immobile wall.

The suspension was for tripping, the lengthening of the suspension was for lying about it.

No, the coaches do not NEED to be in that area. They are the only people ALLOWED in that area. Those are two very different statements.

Practice squad players are not allowed (and were) in there.

The coaches have the obligation to get out of the way of a player blocked out of bounds. The wall is specifically illegal because it was there for the purpose of changing where the player could run. The rules specifically state that any impeding of a player's motion by a substitute or coach is a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

This was a premeditated penalty committed by the coaches.

A few weeks ago, the Broncos "walk-through videotaping incident" and last weekend this "phalanx-gate" incident. The common theme with these incidents is that one individual was singled out in each instance and was made to fall on the sword in order for the Broncos and Jets organizations to save face.

The point is not whether Scar Jr. and Alosi acted of their own volition (I find it hard to believe that either did), but that both organizations threw each man under the bus by portraying them as "lone wolves" who performed egregious acts right under the noses of their ignorant superiors.

Belichick and the Patriots organization did no such thing when the team was caught filming defensive signals from a location that was (ambiguously) mandated as off limits. Belichick took the blame, yet is constantly vilified by the media.

I've reached the point where I am highly dubious about anything uttered or printed by the mainstream media these days. This is because more often than not, it is larded with opinion, hearsay, innuendo, half-truths, and lies, which are all passed off as fact. It is merely polemical speech or prose that is designed to inflame emotion in order to push an agenda, and is decidedly unscientific and void any factual research, data, and evidence.

(Sorry about the slight tendency to ramble on and rant in this post, but there were some things I wanted to vent about that I have held in for a while now).

Last edited:
What comes around really does go around....:eek:

The problem with Jetdell's attempts to sweep this under the rug is that the Jest don't know when to shut the hell up. You can always count on the Jest to say more than they need to and, in this case, it's hopefully going to cost them. After what happened to the Pats and our fanbase, I don't feel bad for anything that happens like this to another team, especially the Jest.

A few weeks ago, the Broncos "walk-through videotaping incident" and last weekend this "phalanx-gate" incident. The common theme with these incidents is that one individual was singled out in each instance and was made to fall on the sword in order for the Broncos and Jets organizations to save face.

The point is not whether Scar Jr. and Alosi acted of their own volition (I find it hard to believe that either did), but that both organizations threw each man under the bus by portraying them as "lone wolves" who performed egregious acts right under the noses of their ignorant superiors.

Belichick and the Patriots organization did no such thing when the team was caught filming defensive signals from a location that was (ambiguously) mandated as off limits. Belichick took the blame, yet is constantly vilified by the media.

I've reached the point where I am highly dubious about anything uttered or printed by the mainstream media these days. This is because more often than not, it is larded with opinion, hearsay, innuendo, half-truths, and lies, which are all passed off as fact. It is merely polemical speech or prose that is designed to inflame emotion in order to push an agenda, and is decidedly unscientific and void any factual research, data, and evidence.

(Sorry about the slight tendency to ramble on and rant in this post, but there were some things I wanted to vent about that I have held in for a while now).

Don't apologize. This was a great post.

Alosi came out and said he did this on his own, that hes responsible, thats very hard to believe. I find it implausible that a strength coach would do something like this on his own without the head coach or at least the Special teams coach condoning it. Its BS, and for Goodell just to ignore it lessons his integrity as commissioner.

Alosi came out and said he did this on his own, that hes responsible, thats very hard to believe. I find it implausible that a strength coach would do something like this on his own without the head coach or at least the Special teams coach condoning it. Its BS, and for Goodell just to ignore it lessons his integrity as commissioner.

Its obviously a cover up for rex

I'm a nong time lurker (I actually used to post a few years ago) and I saw this on another forum and I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

Jenny Vrentas (JennyVrentas) on Twitter

TE Jeff Cumberland, one of the players in the wall, said Alosi gave the instructions and they've done it all season.

So from that little quote we know that the Jets have been using this tactic all season, and there were players lined up not just coaches (and of course they try and pin it on Alosi).

This begs the question, if this has been going on all season or longer how has Rex and Westoff and the other coaches not seen or heard anything about it? I mean during the tripping incident Rex is standing right there watching them. Have they never watched any video of their own games?

If anyone has a line to someone in the sports media, you should point this out to them. Especially considering how the Jets now want to say forming the wall isn't a big deal and point a finger at the Patriots but they've increased the Alosi's punishment which implies there is something illegal there.

Last edited:
I'm a nong time lurker (I actually used to post a few years ago) and I saw this on another forum and I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

Jenny Vrentas (JennyVrentas) on Twitter

So from that little quote we know that the Jets have been using this tactic all season, and there were players lined up not just coaches (and of course they try and pin in on Alosi).

Which begs the question, if this has been going on all season or longer how has Rex and Westoff and the other coaches not seen or heard anything about it? I mean during the tripping incident Rex is standing right there watching them.

If anyone has a line to someone in the sports media, you should point this out to them. Especially considering how the Jets now want to say forming the wall isn't a big deal and point a finger at the Patriots but they've increased the Alosi's punishment which implies there is something illegal there.

I think ... you ... just ... blew my mind :eek:

LOL, these guys have such big mouths. It all starts with their coach, who just can't shut up ever. And now, when it would be better to just not talk at all, they literally can't do it.

Its obviously a cover up for rex
Yes i think thats pretty obvious, and for Goodell to ignore it makes it pretty obvious he biased towards the jests.

No, the coaches do not NEED to be in that area. They are the only people ALLOWED in that area. Those are two very different statements.
Your use of semantics, "need" vs. "allowed" is weak, my point was that coaches are not allowed to be closer to the field but are allowed behind the white area within the 32-to-32 yard lines.

Practice squad players are not allowed (and were) in there.
That's somewhat ambiguous at this point... the diagram shows that but the quoted rule doesn't make a distinction and implies non-active personnel can be in that area.

Also --- clearly (by your own statement) opposing players are not allowed behind the solid white area, unless blocked there. So the Dolphin had no right to be there, when blocked out of bounds he is supposed to get back into bounds rather than run down the sideline out of bounds. Which is what he was doing.

So again, I don't believe the Jets would have been guilty of "impeding" had the line of players stayed immobile where they were lined up.

Anything else is just gamesmanship.

This story is about to get blown wide open.

In the past hour we've had Mike Westhoff screw up immmensely on a radio show by incoherently screeching that the Pats do it also and at the same time, Clark Judge of CBS Sports reports that the NFL has indeed now decided to open an investigation and have sent Ray Anderson to the Jets headquarters.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/26463357

Last edited:
This story is about to get blown wide open.

In the past hour we've had Mike Westhoff screw up immmensely on a radio show by incoherently screeching that the Pats do it also and at the same time, Clark Judge of CBS Sports reports that the NFL has indeed now decided to open an investigation and have sent Ray Anderson to the Jets headquarters.

NFL interested in Jets; memo forthcoming - CBSSports.com

Not going to happen. I as I said in the other thread, I am willing to bet they will conclude that Alosi acted alone and that no further punishment is warranted.

Not going to happen. I as I said in the other thread, I am willing to bet they will conclude that Alosi acted alone and that no further punishment is warranted.

I expect some people will report on this: "TE Jeff Cumberland, one of the players in the wall, said Alosi gave the instructions and they've done it all season.". Do you honestly not see that going someplace?

I expect some people will report on this: "TE Jeff Cumberland, one of the players in the wall, said Alosi gave the instructions and they've done it all season.". Do you honestly not see that going someplace?

The league will not do anything because they are about protecting the integrity of the league. They do not want another Spygate scandal. That is why they wrapped up Spygate II so quickly.

BTW, the Post is reporting it:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/player_says_jets_have_built_wall_IksEgwvXdiYTnpceEZU3QO

Last edited:
Time to change the Sig.....

The league will not do anything because they are about protecting the integrity of the league. They do not want another Spygate scandal. That is why they wrapped up Spygate II so quickly.

BTW, the Post is reporting it:

Player says Jets have built wall all season: report - NYPOST.com

Well, I guess I'm hoping that enough pressure from the media would prevent that. I'm glad to see it is getting reported now.

Time to change the Sig.....

:rofl:

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by inactive players. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Coach Ryan? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Nolan Carroll, and you curse the Jets. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Nolan Carroll’s tripping, while tragic, probably saved field position. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves field position. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at press conferences, you want me on that sideline wall, you need me on that sideline wall.

Hmm, I might have to take back my previous posts, looks like this might be an organizational issue after all. No way could this be happening all season without Ryan being aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes