PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets player acquisition strategy exposed yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jets Player acquisition strategy exposed yesterday

Sure not every position had great depth. However look at the positions that are probably hardest to replace - the OL/DL and the Patriots have very good depth on both sides there. We had several injuries there and were able to sub in guys with a fair amount of success. Who replaced Kris Jenkins and how'd he do?

The Patriots have one of their poorest 53 man rosters in recent years.
They can stand an upgrade almost everywhere. Just because the
Patriots have 54 players under contract doesn't mean they have 54
quality players.

But we don't really want to discuss HOW they made the playoffs, do we?

========================================================

What do you mean, I'll be talking about the Jets playoff run untill next season starts.
I love that story.

I think you saw the weakness of the Jets roster and their player acquisition strategy: It's very top heavy without much depth.

It looks great (as has been touted on this board for the last few weeks) when you are one of the least injured teams. But lose a couple of players, and you quickly feel the effects. I don't have the link off hand, but someone posted that the Jets were one of the teams with the least number of games lost by starters.

Not to say the Jets don't have talented players (Revis is the best defensive player I've seen in a long time), nor to say the Patriots haven't made mistakes in player acquisition (Adalius, Chad Jackson, not keeping some guys).

But I thought yesterday's game was very revealing and it showed why the Patriots tend to favor a deep roster instead of having a few elite players at the expense of the middle class.

Injuries are inevitable, and they caught up with the Jets yesterday. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Yeah, I have some thoughts.

I think that if you think that the Jesters' player acquisition strategy is weak, then you must think that the Patsies' "strategy" is Special Olympics-sized ******ed.

I find it laughable that some people are disregarding a team that played in the AFCC while our own team couldn't win even one PO game, at home.

Because Jonathan Whilhite and Darius Butler would stopped Garcon, Collie, Clark and Wayne yesterday.

And when Lawrence Maroney gets hurt it's so much better to bring in Sammie Morris rather than Thomas Jones.

There's only 53 roster spots, the patriots depth is nothing to write home about.

BB has lots of work to do.

Those who are saying the Patriots currently have poor depth (which is definitely a fair argument nowadays especially in comparison in the past) are missing the difference between strategy and execution.

The Patriots have not executed their strategy of well lately but obviously the point is that they try to build team depth, not overpay for certain guys, move current draft picks for future ones etc.

I'm trying to highlight that difference compared to the recent Jets strategy of putting all of their chips in a few guys. They have been relatively successful at executing this strategy of late.

I give the Jets credit for making it further than the Patriots, but let's not act like they were world beaters either. They got hot at the right time and Sanchez stopped doing his JaMarcus impersonation.

Re: Jets Player acquisition strategy exposed yesterday

Who replaced Kris Jenkins and how'd he do?

Who ever it was played good enough for the unit to be #1 in the NFL and get the AFC Championship only to be beaten by one of the all time greats. Meanwhile the Patriots were destroyed at home in the first round.

Sione Pouha and Mike Divito rotated at nose tackle after Jenkins injury, and yes I think they did pretty good.

I like Mike DeVito, Guns. Plus he's a local dude who also attended UMaine. I wish that Bill had used one of his 7th-rounders on him (instead of the junk that was Oscar Lua & Mike Elgin), or at least made a stronger effort to sign him as a UDFA. Health willing, I think he'll continue to be an effective 3-4 DE (for you guys, unfortunately).

Jets had one of the lowest number of games lost by starters in the league.

Obviously injuries happen and not every position will have a great backup.
No one in the league has a backup for a guy who has had 346 receptions and 3688 yards in three consecutive seasons. Also the timing was poor, as if it happened earlier in the season maybe they could've done better at incorporating other guys (Edelman, Faulk, etc) to help compensate for the loss of Welker.

My general point is that I think people on this forum have gone way overboard in wanting to emulate the Jets strategy of trading away picks and signing high priced free agents. It's not to say it's always a bad strategy (See Revis, Pace), but like everything there is a Risk/Reward (See Gholston, maybe Sanchez).

it's easy to pick like the jets when you pick in the top 5 every year. but i do think the pats have to get better at talent evaluation. there is no excuse when teams like indy get garcon and collie while we get chung.

================================================

Well the Jets did lose two prow bowlers for the year and still managed to make the playoffs.

All teams have depth issues. I don't think your hypothesis holds, Welker?

Edleman stepped right in. The Patriots lost TOM BRADY last season and finished with a better record. The Jets arnt very deep at every postition but who is? If Revis goes down instead of Jenkins, No Playoffs for you. If this year Moss went down...No playoffs for us.

Before the Rex Ryan lovers come out beating drums and pouring champagne, I'm rather sure this team was built by and large by Mangini. Credit where it's due. Tubby can tweak what he's been given to start with.

Fair point...not sure if Tannenbaum or Mangini who deserves more credit for building some of the current JETS foundation. Kudos to Mangini for always seeking high character, college captain guys who understood the team concept. Unfortunately, Eric's in-game adjustments and stifling personality prevented his continued service to the JETS.

Its always easier for a high character player to play for Rex and his "swaggerlicious" style than for a questionable character player to play for a disciplinarian.

Edleman stepped right in. The Patriots lost TOM BRADY last season and finished with a better record. The Jets arnt very deep at every postition but who is? If Revis goes down instead of Jenkins, No Playoffs for you. If this year Moss went down...No playoffs for us.

============================================

Good points TC, I like Edelman alot, a whole lot.

the jets have more talent then the pats at ever spot other then WR and QB

the jets lost there best D line man and ther kick returner and still made it to the AFCCG

BB traded the pats best D line man and kick returner and it blew up in there face.

Nah, Pats have better talent at safety, nose tackle (though not for long if Wilfork leaves), and DE. Jets have more talent overall, but at the end of the day the Pats still have Brady. That can make up for a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes