PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets or Redskins... Who got the better deal this past week?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which team had the better deal this week..Jets or Redskins?

• The Jets with Holmes

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • The Redskins with McNabb

Votes: 25 52.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The Redskins traded reasonable picks for a pretty good QB who they have not had at the helm for awhile

The Jets picked up a SB MVP WR for a low draft pick who will be suspended for 4 games but if he stays clean,can be a big part of thier offense in October

Who got the better deal this week?...Jets or Redskins?

Last edited:
Re: OT: Jets or Redskins...Who got the better deal this week?

im a big mcnabb, fan and i wanna say the redskins. but he gets hurt a lot and with the O line in washington i can't see him play all 16 games

the jets were one game away from playing in the SB and now give there young QB three realy good WR's in Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, and now Holmes, they have a good young TE Dustin Keller, one of the best O lines in the NFL on paper they are one of the top teams in the AFC

washington is still #4 in there own division. so i say the jets right now are the better team.

I like McNabb too and I think he's got a chip on his shoulder. He'll play well this season. Not to diminish a solid pickup by the Jets, but picking up a good QB is always better than picking up a good WR.

Last edited:
Both are free agents after this year, so both teams are risking those players may be just one year rentals.

The Redskins gave up higher draft pick(s) than the Jets did.

In addition McNabb will be paid $11 million this year while Holmes will make $755k.

Put that all together, and even though the positions are different the Jets got the better deal.

Both are free agents after this year, so both teams are risking those players may be just one year rentals.

The Redskins gave up higher draft pick(s) than the Jets did.

In addition McNabb will be paid $11 million this year while Holmes will make $755k.

Put that all together, and even though the positions are different the Jets got the better deal.

I realize the money issue and the draft picks are different between the two players but this really would focus on which of these two players will have a bigger impact with thier new team with what they gave up to get them
....I went for McNabb because of Holmes 4 game suspension - McNabb could have 1,000 yards passing before Holmes even takes the field.

Last edited:
As far as who will make a bigger impact for their respect teams I feel that the Redskins got the better deal this week. Let's face is McNabb is an automatic upgrade for the Redskins over Campbell/Collins.

As far as who got the better deal in terms of market value the Jets got the better deal on that end. Holmes will cost the Jets less along with the Jets giving up lower draft pick(s).

But in the end I feel the Redskins got the better deal overall. Sometimes its better to spend a bit more if it means getting better players. Not to say that McNabb over night makes the Redskins a major threat but it's a start to them getting back on a winning track.

Just my 2 cents give or take a few cents.

I realize the money issue and the draft picks are different between the two players but this really would focus on which of these two players will have a bigger impact with thier new team with what they gave up to get them
....I went for McNabb because of Holmes 4 game suspension - McNabb could have 1,000 yards passing before Holmes even takes the field.
I would expect McNabb to have a greater impact, yes.

However, that's not the question; I think the Jets got the better deal.

Jets easily. A kid entering his prime for a 5th round pick on a talented team, or a 34 year old vet for a 2nd round pick+ on a team that's 4/5 years from contention.

I think its a no brainer for Skins. Impact should really be the only measuring stick, the fact that no one in the league was willing to give up more than a 5th for Holmes should tell you everything you need to know. Not to mention QB has way, way, more impact than WR.

I think both moves are great, but the Redskins filled a bigger need, and no other individual player can have in impact quite like bringing in a very good QB.

Jets.

Simply because they just gave up a 5th rounder for a 26 year old legit WR just coming off his best year as a pro.

As far as impact, I think McNabb will have more simply because QBs are more involved and have greater responsibility.

But the Jets got the better deal. It's like when you go into a store like Marshalls and find a pair of $600 shoes on sale for only $99 and the only pair they have is your size. You're like, WTF, thanks God :) .

Is there that much sour grapes around here or do people just not know how to read a simple question?

Well, you're redefining your terms there. Your OP asked simply, which was the "better deal," which is a retrospective question. On that basis, picking up a 25yo SB MVP WR, coming off his best season, for a low pick is a better deal than giving up a few picks for a very good 33yo QB, who is mercurial, plays "up and down" and has a history of coming up short in the biggest games.

As far as the potential impact with their new team (presumably this year), which is how this post redefines the question: the QB is the most important player on the field. Thus, if everything falls in place, Donovan will have a "bigger impact," IF he puts up a great season than a WR, even if Holmes puts up a career season for 12 games.

But, we can't know that until the season plays out. So, the "better deal" is Holmes.

The redskins paid more but got an item of significantly greater value, a franchise QB. WR's for all the love they get are largely fungible. If McNabb is healthy he will play 16 games at an exponentially higher level than Campbell could have. If Holmes remains healthy he will play no more than 12 games at a higher level than Clowney would have. But he will only play in 12 games or less, and if less he probably won't impact them any greater than a healthy Clowney playing for 16 or more games...

The JETS sophomore QB has his own issues to resolve without having to manage a couple of seemingly talented WR's with holes in their game, or their character...one of whom it's a gamble will even see the field this season given his continued immaturity is on full display and will now be under increased scrutiny courtesy of TMZ and the Big Apple media circus.

Both teams got good deals. Jets paid very little for a clown with talent who can help them down the stretch post suspension while the Skins paid a high price for a key player who has the potential to make the difference and let them contend for the NFCE.

I love the fact that the NY medier will be all ovah the JESTs if they don't kick serious tail. No excuses!

Last edited:
Well, you're redefining your terms there. Your OP asked simply, which was the "better deal," which is a retrospective question. On that basis, picking up a 25yo SB MVP WR, coming off his best season, for a low pick is a better deal than giving up a few picks for a very good 33yo QB, who is mercurial, plays "up and down" and has a history of coming up short in the biggest games.

As far as the potential impact with their new team (presumably this year), which is how this post redefines the question: the QB is the most important player on the field. Thus, if everything falls in place, Donovan will have a "bigger impact," IF he puts up a great season than a WR, even if Holmes puts up a career season for 12 games.

But, we can't know that until the season plays out. So, the "better deal" is Holmes.

Holmes the better deal?? Really?? Think about it this way, if both teams kept their picks could they have possibly gotten the same production from that pick? In the Redskins case absolutely not, its never happened, a second round QB has never come in and put up pro bowl numbers. McNabb is still in his prime, he is only 33 younger than Manning and slightly older than Brady. In the Jets case it is at least possible to find a WR who can produce similar numbers. Not to mention both players are at the end of their deals so the fact that Holmes is just entering his prime while McNabb is just leaving his matters not. So while the Skins paid more they are getting more bang for the buck (a.k.a) a better deal.

Redskins by a mile as we speak. McNabb has been a top quarterback for quite some time now, he has always played to his standard in the playoffs too. Things seem to have been frosty between Donovan and Andy Reid for some time but I think its a huge mistake by Reid to let him go.
Holmes is a gifted idiot, he will be in trouble again you can be sure of that. They only have him for 12 games next season as it is.

It's a simple ******* question, the better deal!

Jets got a young No. 1 WR for only a fifth round pick and he'll be added to a team that is much closer to being great than the Redskins. The Redskins got an oft-injured QB who is on his last legs for a high second round pick, almost a first rounder, and possibly a third round pick next year. It's not like the Redskins are a QB away from being great. Jets are risking next to nothing here. Get over your dislike of the Jets. They scored on this one.

Holmes the better deal?? Really?? Think about it this way, if both teams kept their picks could they have possibly gotten the same production from that pick? In the Redskins case absolutely not, its never happened, a second round QB has never come in and put up pro bowl numbers. McNabb is still in his prime, he is only 33 younger than Manning and slightly older than Brady. In the Jets case it is at least possible to find a WR who can produce similar numbers. Not to mention both players are at the end of their deals so the fact that Holmes is just entering his prime while McNabb is just leaving his matters not. So while the Skins paid more they are getting more bang for the buck (a.k.a) a better deal.

Never find a Pro Bowl QB with the second round pick. Exactly where did Brady get drafted?

Redskins by a mile as we speak. McNabb has been a top quarterback for quite some time now, he has always played to his standard in the playoffs too. Things seem to have been frosty between Donovan and Andy Reid for some time but I think its a huge mistake by Reid to let him go.
Holmes is a gifted idiot, he will be in trouble again you can be sure of that. They only have him for 12 games next season as it is.

If playing to his standards is puking all over the field during the potential game-tying drive of Super Bowl, then yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down