PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets' Leon Washington carted off the field [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, the guy broke his leg, didn't lose his leg. A broken leg is usually easier to come back from than a torn ACL. Washington barring some freak complication will definitely play again.

Second, this type of thing will most likely not be addressed in the next CBA discussions. The NFLPA does provide their own compensation for players who are forced into retirement due to injuries already. There will never be a league run disability plan. Also, being in his contract year, Washington could have bought insurance from Lloyds of London against injuries like this (he may very well have). Many athletes on the verge of free agency insure themselves in case of injury based on their perceived value.

Third, the Jets did offer Washington a new contract for $4 million a year which he refused before the season. If I was Washington, I would have refused it too seeing how Michael Turner worked out as LT's back up and then cashing in as a free agent getting more than Washington was offered. But this isn't a case of a team refusing to renegotiate with a player who is under a rookie deal. The Jets wanted to extend him, but their idea of his value and his idea were not on the same page.

Excellent comments. I hope but doubt that the so-called agents of these players have them buy such insurance. That said, I agree that if it's JUST a compound fracture of the bone, that will heal better by next summer camp than if ligaments are ripped. We don't have the medical report.

unless you mess up your femur....... pretty much any bone injury is better than severe ligament damage..... for sure. NO QUESTION.

Ligaments especially ACL MCL are terrible if they are damaged badly.

Achilles Heel Tendon is also a wicked injury to overcome.

Better bone than tendons/ligaments

Sincerely

Dr James ******* Andrews

There were reports from jets players that the bone had broken through the skin... ouch.

There were reports from jets players that the bone had broken through the skin... ouch.

worse thing about COMPOUNDS is Infection. Hopefully he has a clean wound.

First, the guy broke his leg, didn't lose his leg. A broken leg is usually easier to come back from than a torn ACL. Washington barring some freak complication will definitely play again.

Second, this type of thing will most likely not be addressed in the next CBA discussions. The NFLPA does provide their own compensation for players who are forced into retirement due to injuries already. There will never be a league run disability plan. Also, being in his contract year, Washington could have bought insurance from Lloyds of London against injuries like this (he may very well have). Many athletes on the verge of free agency insure themselves in case of injury based on their perceived value.

Third, the Jets did offer Washington a new contract for $4 million a year which he refused before the season. If I was Washington, I would have refused it too seeing how Michael Turner worked out as LT's back up and then cashing in as a free agent getting more than Washington was offered. But this isn't a case of a team refusing to renegotiate with a player who is under a rookie deal. The Jets wanted to extend him, but their idea of his value and his idea were not on the same page.

Injuries do happen, and I'd be a bald face liar if I didn't say that I think of how it will effect the Patriots when it does happen, and not feel bad about that.

But I think that's a long way from wishing an injury on a player and then celebrating with joy the end of a players season.

I hope it is anyway.

Agree. The jets offered him a big deal, and safety. He chose to try to maximize his earnings, while at the same time maximizing his risk. Its too bad he got hurt, but he made the choice.

That being said, broken fibulas have happened to a number of runningbacks, and they all came back fine. He'll sign a one year deal with someone for low money, and then get a big deal if he has a big year.

Yeah, that's what we all heard about Lawfirm. He sure did impress yesterday! :rolleyes:

To be fair, I'm not sure how many yards Jim Brown could have gotten behind our line yesterday...

Running game was very pedestrian yesterday. Not alot of opportunities to cut back or break one. Bucs and their speed seemed to be in the backfield almost every play.

Yeah, that's what we all heard about Lawfirm. He sure did impress yesterday! :rolleyes:

For what it's worth 5 or 6 of his carries came at the end of the game with Hoyer handing off and the Bucs knowing that the Pats were not going to pass.They weren't going to run up the score, letting Tampa put everybody in the box and gear towards stopping the run..

There's really not any "fine line". It's a pretty clear line: Don't cheer about injuries.

UPDATE: Turns out he DID have an insurance policy.

Wilson: Leon Washington had insurance policy | National Football Post

Do not read this if you have a weak stomach...

At least New York Jets running back Leon Washington had insurance.

Washington, who suffered a gruesome broken right fibula that punctured the skin, took out a Lloyds of London insurance policy before the season.

Washington is making $535,000 in the the final year of his contract.

Offensive tackle Damien Woody said that he saw blood squirting out of Washington's leg.

‘‘It was bad," he said. "You never want to see anything like that.’’

Washington had surgery after the game in Oakland.

‘‘My thoughts go out to Leon,’’ Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum told the Newark Star-Ledger. ‘‘I expect him to be here a long, long time. We’re going to give Leon all the support he needs from an organizational standpoint to make sure he can return to be the player he has always been. He has our unconditional support.’’

I figured that he would have an insurance policy. For what they are, they are relatively cheap. Gives him security.

Awful, awful injury. Heres to hoping he makes a complete recovery and plays a long time in the league.....

Leon should make a full recovery so his livelihood shouldn't be taken away. This is good news.

As for the hated Jets losing a key player for the season due to injury ..... it's part of the game and one that I won't shed any tears over.

To be fair, I'm not sure how many yards Jim Brown could have gotten behind our line yesterday...

Exactly. My point is that nobody extends that excuse for Maroney except for the people that are well aware that a running back needs some pretty decent run blocking to succeed in this league. Everyone just expects Maroney to linemen that are twice his size out of the way. Funny how nobody expects that from the Lawfirm. Same thing happens to him and all of the sudden his fanboys are well aware of the run blocking deficiencies.

Exactly. My point is that nobody extends that excuse for Maroney except for the people that are well aware that a running back needs some pretty decent run blocking to succeed in this league. Everyone just expects Maroney to linemen that are twice his size out of the way. Funny how nobody expects that from the Lawfirm. Same thing happens to him and all of the sudden his fanboys are well aware of the run blocking deficiencies.

As a NUMBER ONE DRAFT PICK you are held to a higher scale of EXPECTATIONS.
You are ignorant to the fact that Maroney is a BUST for a 1st ROUND PICK.

Let us compare him to "Lawfirm" brilliant.:confused:

Number Ones Need TO PErform.

Brandon Meriweather HAS BLOSSOMED this year.

MARONEY is a BB pick that has never surfaced to be a solid consistent RUNNING BACK. Our MISS I am sorry you can't see that yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back