PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets Cap Nightmare in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
One man's "way around" is another man's "minimize the damage." But, however we cut it, they're in this mess because they built teams to win in 2010 or 2011 but Sanchez didn't get the memo.

I do agree with some of this, but part of the reason they fell apart last year was because they had no depth because they traded away so many draft picks and allocated so much money towards the cap towards the top part of their roster. That is part of their cap heck. Unlike the Pats and other teams who don't typically make their cap top heavy, the Jets needed to rely on scrubs in a lot of areas for back up which hurt them (safety and LB last year).

People say that the Jets aren't in bad cap situation because they have $6 million left on the cap (which they can't spend because they need to push it through to next year) and they have a lot of high priced free agents, but they are woefully thin at several positions including WR and the o-line.

haven't the jets been in cap hell for 12 years now? I've heard this before

There is no such thing as cap hell anymore other than the Raiders this year. But they were in cap heck last year and it showed in their 8-8 record. They are in cap heck for the foreseable future. They have 12 starters that are scheduled to be free agents over the next two years and they will need to cut at least three more current starters to get under the cap next season. They will be able to get under the cap and make some moves, but just like this year they will need to do a lot of duck tape work to put together a team by taking risky players as starters (Landry with his Achilles, Bell with his age and drop off, Plax last year after spending two years in jail) and leave several positions woefully thin (see the WR position).

At WR the Jet fans think Steven Hill and Shillens are going to make noise for them.

We shall see....

I do agree with some of this, but part of the reason they fell apart last year was because they had no depth because they traded away so many draft picks and allocated so much money towards the cap towards the top part of their roster. That is part of their cap heck. Unlike the Pats and other teams who don't typically make their cap top heavy, the Jets needed to rely on scrubs in a lot of areas for back up which hurt them (safety and LB last year).

People say that the Jets aren't in bad cap situation because they have $6 million left on the cap (which they can't spend because they need to push it through to next year) and they have a lot of high priced free agents, but they are woefully thin at several positions including WR and the o-line.

I think we're saying the same thing but with different points of emphasis. In any event, any difference between our positions is too small to argue on a lovely July day...be well.

Last edited:
At WR the Jet fans think Steven Hill and Shillens are going to make noise for them.

Yup, they'll be beatching and moaning like Sanfonio, who already this off-season has set the tone as their malcontent mentor.

Last edited:

We shall see....

Gotta love the thread over at Jetsfans where they think they had one of the best top 3 picks in last year's draft. Most of the talk is how Hill is going to be a superstar.

Judging any pick now without a single pick playing a down is silly. Judging any team's top three picks now is useless.

I still don't get the love for Stephen Hill. Yeah, I know he is big and fast, but can he run routes or read defenses or make plays when teams are doubling him on a regular basis? He could be the next Megatron (although I don't get the comparisons other than they came from the same school even though it was a vastly different system by the time Hill got there) or he could be the next Chad Jackson. Jackson was more of stud at the combines than Hill which is where teams fell in love with the guy.

I think we're saying the same thing but with different points of emphasis. In any event, any difference between our positions is too small to argue on a lovely July day...be well.

I guess you are right.

At WR the Jet fans think Steven Hill and Shillens are going to make noise for them. We shall see....

This is all part of CAP Heck - needing a far higher than average return on draft picks. They need just about every pick through the first five rounds for two drafts in a row to be a solid starter in order to get out of this hole.

This is all part of CAP Heck - needing a far higher than average return on draft picks. They need just about every pick through the first five rounds for two drafts in a row to be a solid starter in order to get out of this hole.

That is partly because they trade away their draft picks and done a bad job drafting since 2007. Jets fans love to make fun of the Pats' drafting, but the Jets are living off the reputation of their 2006 and 2007 drafts. Since then, they have not drafted an impact player (Wilkerson may end up being one and possibly this year's draft might produce one or two). Heck, they haven't produced more than a handful of starters since 2007 in the draft.

But this is the year that Mark "Unlimited ceiling" Sanchez becomes an elite QB....

Translation=20 plus picks, a benching and a locker room torn in 2.

Last edited:
I will say one more thing and I am done.

If the Pats had to cut Logan Mankins or Vince Wilfork to sign Julius Peppers, then it isn't cap flexibility. That is comprehible to cutting Sanchez to sign another player. Sanchez isn't as good of a player as either Mankins or Wilfork but had a similar cap hit and plays the most important position. The only reason it was viable to cut Sanchez is because you replaced him with Manning. Cutting Sanchez to sign any other free agent would be the classic definition of cap hell.

:confused:

If there was a new NT who was miles better than Wilfork, and the Patriots were able to take the hit on Wilfork's contract in order to bring in that player, of course that would be a sign of cap flexibility.

It does tell us anything other than the Jets were willing to throw Sanchez to the curb if they got a better QB. I am guessing the Jets expected Manning's cap hit would be about the same as the cap hit they saved by cutting or trading Sanchez.

If Jason is lurking he can speak better to this, but prior to his renegotiation for PR of the Jets losing out on Peyton Manning Sanchez had something like a $8-10 million base salary this year. It is reported that the Broncos cap hit for Manning is about $13 million. We don't know how much the Jets were willing to pay Manning, but there is a good chance that the money saved by cutting or trading Sanchez vs. the cap would cover most or all Manning's cap hit (at least what they were expected to pay for him) at least this year if the Jets signed him.

Now if the Jets were to sign Manning and keep Sanchez, you might have a point. But there is no way they would pay a back up what they were planning to pay Sanchez and it is doubtful Sanchez would be willing to take a pay cut to back QB money. So trading Sanchez's cap space for Manning's cap space doesn't indicate they weren't restricted with the cap.

I think the Jets would have had to get creative in signing Manning and would have needed have the league ok the offer sheet. Essentially Manning could have been signed to an incentive laden contract that was all virtually guaranteed since he did not play last season (i.e. 100 yards passing in 2012 would equal a $20 million bonus or trigger a $20 million dollar guaranteed escalator in 2013) that would count for the minimum against this years cap since it would all be considered NLTBE.

Before they inexplicably re-upped Sanchez his cap hit would have been around $14.2 million in 2012. Had they cut him they would have saved $9 million and carried about $5 million in dead money. He could have also been given the June 1 treatment but that would not have given them immediate cap relief since the June 1 savings dont take effect until June. They ended up saving $6.4 million with the renegotiation. Peytons cap hit this season is $18 million so it would have been impossible to field the roster they have now minus Sanchez and Tebow and get him in there. They would have had to get cap relief elsewhere to do it, though there are plenty of ways they could have saved some cash.

The Jets arent as bad off as ESPN makes them out to be, which most people have all pointed out in this thread. The only other recent teams to really be in bad cap shape besides Oakland were the Steelers this year and Cowboys last season I believe. Both teams had to do massive restructurings and extensions just to comply, which is far different than cutting an old Bart Scott that has a limited role as is. I think the higher spending teams, like the Jets, were hurt more than they thought with the new CBA. They got lucky to get out of a few deals before the lockout which allowed them to re-sign Cromartie, but these teams all budgeted on a cap that was growing between 5 and 7 million a year. To bring the cap back to essentially 2008 levels in 2012 is a crushing blow to those teams.

Ive always maintained that the Jets window when they started spending was from 2008-2010 and still believe it. The team came really close and part of me says that they made a mistake not begging Favre to come back in 2009 or finding a veteran rather than rebuilding behind a young QB despite having a team that had good players on defense and a fantastic offensive line. They tried to band aid last year together and get one more season out of it and they failed badly.

I see them this year in a holding pattern with the moves they made. Tebow is a publicity stunt to mask the issues they may have during the year, but hes cheap so it was the best they could do. They didnt want to commit to any frontline starters other than Manning, which is the prudent choice. You dont add more expensive veterans to a veteran club that has a nearly closed window. That can totally ruin a team when/if the window totally shuts.

Rob Im not sure if it was you that said it in this thread, but whomever it was is 100% correct that the Jets problem isnt so much cap management but talent evaluation. The reason the Jets could spend so much in free agency was because Ferguson, Mangold, Harris, Revis, Washington, Smith, etc.. all worked out in some manner as draft picks. 4 were rock solid picks and the others contributors that you need to win. You can spend $8 million a year on Alan Faneca because Mangold costs you all of $2 million on that rookie deal.

But since then its whiff after whiff in the draft. Eventually the Fergusons of the world become rich and when they do you have to eliminate a free agent signing unless you draft another hit rookie. They havent. Most of the guys wouldnt pick up with another club. There is nothing wrong with the cap moves they have made or how the structured the deals for the most part. The problem is how did they get so many wrong at once. How do you not see what a problem Holmes might become? How do you not see that Wayne Hunter isnt a quality NFL player? Thats the issue not the contract structure itself, but everyone focuses on that cap number, which is easily changed.

I think the Jets are going to be active shoppers next offseason. Id imagine they will field offers for Sanchez, Holmes, and Cromartie. They wont get much but they will get big time cap relief if they can trade those players. I even think if the right offer for Harris came around they would take it since Im not sure he is fast enough to play in the 43 they will be running by next season. Of course it depends on what happens this year, but in the back of their mind I think they have the 4 guys that they want to cut and then a few that they will be looking to trade so that they can go and start to try to change the mix of players on the team.

Ive always maintained that the Jets window when they started spending was from 2008-2010 and still believe it. ... a team that had good players on defense and a fantastic offensive line. They tried to band aid last year together and get one more season out of it and they failed badly.

the Jets problem isnt so much cap management but talent evaluation. The reason the Jets could spend so much in free agency was because Ferguson, Mangold, Harris, Revis, Washington, Smith, etc.. all worked out in some manner as draft picks. 4 were rock solid picks and the others contributors that you need to win. You can spend $8 million a year on Alan Faneca because Mangold costs you all of $2 million on that rookie deal.

But since then its whiff after whiff in the draft. Eventually the Fergusons of the world become rich and when they do you have to eliminate a free agent signing unless you draft another hit rookie. They havent. Most of the guys wouldnt pick up with another club.

Good analysis.
Similarly one reason the Pats had their great run was the same...had a core of inexpensive young talent. But aside from AD and a couple others didn't urinate away big $ on FAs.

I think the Jets would have had to get creative in signing Manning and would have needed have the league ok the offer sheet. Essentially Manning could have been signed to an incentive laden contract that was all virtually guaranteed since he did not play last season (i.e. 100 yards passing in 2012 would equal a $20 million bonus or trigger a $20 million dollar guaranteed escalator in 2013) that would count for the minimum against this years cap since it would all be considered NLTBE.

Before they inexplicably re-upped Sanchez his cap hit would have been around $14.2 million in 2012. Had they cut him they would have saved $9 million and carried about $5 million in dead money. He could have also been given the June 1 treatment but that would not have given them immediate cap relief since the June 1 savings dont take effect until June. They ended up saving $6.4 million with the renegotiation. Peytons cap hit this season is $18 million so it would have been impossible to field the roster they have now minus Sanchez and Tebow and get him in there. They would have had to get cap relief elsewhere to do it, though there are plenty of ways they could have saved some cash.

The Jets arent as bad off as ESPN makes them out to be, which most people have all pointed out in this thread. The only other recent teams to really be in bad cap shape besides Oakland were the Steelers this year and Cowboys last season I believe. Both teams had to do massive restructurings and extensions just to comply, which is far different than cutting an old Bart Scott that has a limited role as is. I think the higher spending teams, like the Jets, were hurt more than they thought with the new CBA. They got lucky to get out of a few deals before the lockout which allowed them to re-sign Cromartie, but these teams all budgeted on a cap that was growing between 5 and 7 million a year. To bring the cap back to essentially 2008 levels in 2012 is a crushing blow to those teams.

Ive always maintained that the Jets window when they started spending was from 2008-2010 and still believe it. The team came really close and part of me says that they made a mistake not begging Favre to come back in 2009 or finding a veteran rather than rebuilding behind a young QB despite having a team that had good players on defense and a fantastic offensive line. They tried to band aid last year together and get one more season out of it and they failed badly.

I see them this year in a holding pattern with the moves they made. Tebow is a publicity stunt to mask the issues they may have during the year, but hes cheap so it was the best they could do. They didnt want to commit to any frontline starters other than Manning, which is the prudent choice. You dont add more expensive veterans to a veteran club that has a nearly closed window. That can totally ruin a team when/if the window totally shuts.

Rob Im not sure if it was you that said it in this thread, but whomever it was is 100% correct that the Jets problem isnt so much cap management but talent evaluation. The reason the Jets could spend so much in free agency was because Ferguson, Mangold, Harris, Revis, Washington, Smith, etc.. all worked out in some manner as draft picks. 4 were rock solid picks and the others contributors that you need to win. You can spend $8 million a year on Alan Faneca because Mangold costs you all of $2 million on that rookie deal.

But since then its whiff after whiff in the draft. Eventually the Fergusons of the world become rich and when they do you have to eliminate a free agent signing unless you draft another hit rookie. They havent. Most of the guys wouldnt pick up with another club. There is nothing wrong with the cap moves they have made or how the structured the deals for the most part. The problem is how did they get so many wrong at once. How do you not see what a problem Holmes might become? How do you not see that Wayne Hunter isnt a quality NFL player? Thats the issue not the contract structure itself, but everyone focuses on that cap number, which is easily changed.

I think the Jets are going to be active shoppers next offseason. Id imagine they will field offers for Sanchez, Holmes, and Cromartie. They wont get much but they will get big time cap relief if they can trade those players. I even think if the right offer for Harris came around they would take it since Im not sure he is fast enough to play in the 43 they will be running by next season. Of course it depends on what happens this year, but in the back of their mind I think they have the 4 guys that they want to cut and then a few that they will be looking to trade so that they can go and start to try to change the mix of players on the team.

Thanks for the reply Jason. I never thought I would ever say this, but I think as a Jets fan you are one of the most knowledgeable, intelligent and non-homerish posters on any of these boards. :D

I do agree with the talent evaluation being a bigger problem than the cap for the Jets. Jets fans love to make fun of the Pats' draft, but if you take away the 2006 and 2007 drafts and Belichick has drafted better than Tannebaum. The Jets strategy of trading up and only having 3-4 picks a year have backfired on them in recent years.

I did post on jetsinsider.com comparing the # of starters, Pro Bowlers, All Pros, and ROYs drafted by both teams from 2008-2011. The Jets have 5 current/projected starters, only one All Pro (McKnight as a returner), no Pro Bowlers, and no ROYs. Meanwhile the Pats have 9 projected starters, 5 Pro Bowlers, 4 All Pros, and one DROY during that time frame. And that doesn't even count the role players (which the Jets have few while the Pats have more) and pure special teamers.

Do you really think though that the Jets will blow up the whole thing next offseason? They have a lot of starters who will be free agents and definite cuts. Shopping Cromartie, Sanchez, Holmes, and possibly Harris is basically blowing it up. BTW, do you really think the Jets will give away Harris unless someone bowls them over in a deal? I am not as high on him as Jets fans because he seems to have an up and down career, but he is a stud when he is on.

Personally, I think Tannebaum is a numbers cruncher trying to be a talent evaluator. I wondering if guys like Revis, Mangold, Harris, and Ferguson were either Mangini's influence or someone else in the Jets' front office who left after the regime change. Or maybe it is Rex who is the poor evaluator and forcing picks on Tannebaum.

Last edited:
Good analysis.
Similarly one reason the Pats had their great run was the same...had a core of inexpensive young talent. But aside from AD and a couple others didn't urinate away big $ on FAs.

As the old saying goes. The Pats may not have the best talent from 1-10 on the roster, but they usually have one of the best roster from 11-53.

Thanks for the reply Jason. I never thought I would ever say this, but I think as a Jets fan you are one of the most knowledgeable, intelligent and non-homerish posters on any of these boards. :D

I do agree with the talent evaluation being a bigger problem than the cap for the Jets. Jets fans love to make fun of the Pats' draft, but if you take away the 2006 and 2007 drafts and Belichick has drafted better than Tannebaum. The Jets strategy of trading up and only having 3-4 picks a year have backfired on them in recent years.

I did post on jetsinsider.com comparing the # of starters, Pro Bowlers, All Pros, and ROYs drafted by both teams from 2008-2011. The Jets have 5 current/projected starters, only one All Pro (McKnight as a returner), no Pro Bowlers, and no ROYs. Meanwhile the Pats have 9 projected starters, 5 Pro Bowlers, 4 All Pros, and one DROY during that time frame. And that doesn't even count the role players (which the Jets have few while the Pats have more) and pure special teamers.

Do you really think though that the Jets will blow up the whole thing next offseason? They have a lot of starters who will be free agents and definite cuts. Shopping Cromartie, Sanchez, Holmes, and possibly Harris is basically blowing it up. BTW, do you really think the Jets will give away Harris unless someone bowls them over in a deal? I am not as high on him as Jets fans because he seems to have an up and down career, but he is a stud when he is on.

Personally, I think Tannebaum is a numbers cruncher trying to be a talent evaluator. I wondering if guys like Revis, Mangold, Harris, and Ferguson were either Mangini's influence or someone else in the Jets' front office who left after the regime change. Or maybe it is Rex who is the poor evaluator and forcing picks on Tannebaum.

I think they will consider blowing it up. The fact that they are transitioning the defense to a new look tells me they are already making some pretty agressive changes. Of those names I mentioned they wont be able to sell all of them, probably 1 or 2 at the most, but they will look to change. Cromartie, for all his tackling issues, has been great in coverage but if Revis is bumped off his current salary there is no way they can also keep Cro. Its just too much invested in corners which is why I have him listed.

Assuming Coples works out (and thats a big if) I feel like the team sees their younger strength as the lines- Ferguson and Mangold on offense and Wilkerson and Coples on defense and if that is your strength you can play musical chairs at some of the other spots and still compete. Tebow fits so much more into what they want to do on both sides of the ball that I have to think that is the guy they feel will be running the show next year even though he passes about as well as I do. What worries me the most long term is that they invested so much in a 2nd round project WR. The position never works out and thats where they went because they want a guy who can stretch the field, most likely on gimmick plays. Maybe he proves me wrong but you cant take a luxury chance when you have issues elsewhere like the Jets do.

I think the Jets talent evaluation process is all encompassing. There was a major shift in the type of players being brought in between the Mangini and Rex eras and that is your answer about how the process works. Im sure Tannenbaum has an opinion but I think he will defer to others. Mangini really screwed up on Gholston but I think he was the driving force on Revis along with their old GM Terry Bradway. Probably Mangold as well. I think Tannenbaum determines the odds of players being around when they pick which is why they are so trade happy some times. I dont think Coples was the guy they wanted last year or at least not at where they picked him. They spent all that time trying to trade down to either select another DE or the guard Pittsburgh eventually took.

One problem I think they have now is that Rex loves everyone and I dont know if the input is as critical as Manginis was. Mangini would have thought twice about Holmes, whereas Rexs reaction was "hell yeah get him. That fer kept me from getting another super bowl ring". Mangini was probably too focused on negatives but I think Rex sometimes gets overcome by the positives and totally overlooks the negatives and it has impacted the team.

I think they will consider blowing it up. The fact that they are transitioning the defense to a new look tells me they are already making some pretty agressive changes. Of those names I mentioned they wont be able to sell all of them, probably 1 or 2 at the most, but they will look to change. Cromartie, for all his tackling issues, has been great in coverage but if Revis is bumped off his current salary there is no way they can also keep Cro. Its just too much invested in corners which is why I have him listed.

Assuming Coples works out (and thats a big if) I feel like the team sees their younger strength as the lines- Ferguson and Mangold on offense and Wilkerson and Coples on defense and if that is your strength you can play musical chairs at some of the other spots and still compete. Tebow fits so much more into what they want to do on both sides of the ball that I have to think that is the guy they feel will be running the show next year even though he passes about as well as I do. What worries me the most long term is that they invested so much in a 2nd round project WR. The position never works out and thats where they went because they want a guy who can stretch the field, most likely on gimmick plays. Maybe he proves me wrong but you cant take a luxury chance when you have issues elsewhere like the Jets do.

I think the Jets talent evaluation process is all encompassing. There was a major shift in the type of players being brought in between the Mangini and Rex eras and that is your answer about how the process works. Im sure Tannenbaum has an opinion but I think he will defer to others. Mangini really screwed up on Gholston but I think he was the driving force on Revis along with their old GM Terry Bradway. Probably Mangold as well. I think Tannenbaum determines the odds of players being around when they pick which is why they are so trade happy some times. I dont think Coples was the guy they wanted last year or at least not at where they picked him. They spent all that time trying to trade down to either select another DE or the guard Pittsburgh eventually took.

One problem I think they have now is that Rex loves everyone and I dont know if the input is as critical as Manginis was. Mangini would have thought twice about Holmes, whereas Rexs reaction was "hell yeah get him. That fer kept me from getting another super bowl ring". Mangini was probably too focused on negatives but I think Rex sometimes gets overcome by the positives and totally overlooks the negatives and it has impacted the team.

Yeah, I think the o-linemen dropping really hurt the Jets' ability to trade down. I think the Steelers would have traded up if they weren't confident they could have gotten DeCastro where they picked.

You are more intune with what the Jets are thinking than I, but I can't see them blowing it up without either Rex or Tannebaum being the fall guy (possibly both). Obviously, Sanchez will be the fall guy too, but someone in management would have to take the blame. I would assume it would be Tannebaum because Rex has more good will for the back to back AFC Championships unless the Jets go like 5-11 or 4-12 (a possibility if Revis does follow through with his hold out which would be the deathnail of Tannebaum's career with the Jets unless the Jets actually made the playoffs).

Personally, I don't know if Woody Johnson has the stomach for the team to admit they are rebuilding. As you pointed out, the Jets put lipstick on a pig by acquiring Tebow this offseason which I think had as much to do with Woody selling tickets as any football move. Where he is struggling to sell season tickets, I wonder if he would up for the Jets blowing it up in 2013 and playing for 2014 or 2015. Or would he direct Tannebaum or whoever the the GM is to either blow it up and try to grab the biggest named free agent available or just do more incremental changes.

The Jets were trying to get into the Peyton Manning Sweepstakes. That should tell us all we need to know about just how "bad" their cap situation was, and it tells us that it wasn't a problem.

By trading Sanchez they could have freed up about 10 in cap room enough to sign Manning. So yes in theory it would have been possible.

But to me it was just one more example of bad PR, They knew that Peyton had no interest in competing with his brother on the back pages of the NY tabloids.
But they wanted to keep the giants off the back pages. What they did was further alienate their qb who they then placated by extending him 2 years.
They then do it again by bringing in a Back-up that could polarize the fan base. All this in pursuit to sell club seats and take some headlines from the giants.

Yeah, I think the o-linemen dropping really hurt the Jets' ability to trade down. I think the Steelers would have traded up if they weren't confident they could have gotten DeCastro where they picked.

You are more intune with what the Jets are thinking than I, but I can't see them blowing it up without either Rex or Tannebaum being the fall guy (possibly both). Obviously, Sanchez will be the fall guy too, but someone in management would have to take the blame. I would assume it would be Tannebaum because Rex has more good will for the back to back AFC Championships unless the Jets go like 5-11 or 4-12 (a possibility if Revis does follow through with his hold out which would be the deathnail of Tannebaum's career with the Jets unless the Jets actually made the playoffs).

Personally, I don't know if Woody Johnson has the stomach for the team to admit they are rebuilding. As you pointed out, the Jets put lipstick on a pig by acquiring Tebow this offseason which I think had as much to do with Woody selling tickets as any football move. Where he is struggling to sell season tickets, I wonder if he would up for the Jets blowing it up in 2013 and playing for 2014 or 2015. Or would he direct Tannebaum or whoever the the GM is to either blow it up and try to grab the biggest named free agent available or just do more incremental changes.

For whatever reason I think Woody looks all the guys in charge and their jobs will be safe barring a 3-13 type year. I think he will be on board with them navigating the reconstruction of the team. It was on Tannenbaums watch that they repaired the 2005 damage (and that was a pretty rough cap too), rebuilt for their run, and would now be re-tooling for the next run. So I think both are safe.

By trading Sanchez they could have freed up about 10 in cap room enough to sign Manning. So yes in theory it would have been possible.

But to me it was just one more example of bad PR, They knew that Peyton had no interest in competing with his brother on the back pages of the NY tabloids.
But they wanted to keep the giants off the back pages. What they did was further alienate their qb who they then placated by extending him 2 years.
They then do it again by bringing in a Back-up that could polarize the fan base. All this in pursuit to sell club seats and take some headlines from the giants.

Whether or not it was just a PR move, if Sanchez doesn't make a leap into the top 10-12 this year, and that team doesn't make the playoffs, Johnson is going to have to can Tannenbaum. There are too many issues (PSLs, etc...) for that team to just keep swimming in place. They basically canned Mangini because his QB got injured, for crying out loud. I don't see Tannenbaum surviving a top 5 drafted QB disaster.

Imagine how different that team's fortunes would be if Sanchez and Ducasse didn't suck, Wilson was a legitimate CB2, and Gholston hadn't earned the Dolly Parton award.

That makes me think it was more than a PR stunt, but that's just a reading of the tea leaves, as it were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back