PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jests hire Bill Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommysgirl

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
As Asst Head Coach. Scrolling on ESPN ticker right now. Well I'm scared now, AFC East just got tougher. ;)

As Asst Head Coach. Scrolling on ESPN ticker right now. Well I'm scared now, AFC East just got tougher. ;)
The guy that failed with the Raiders and got fired by the U. of Nebraska? The title Asst Head Coach has been used for head coach in waiting, as in Jason Garrett in Dallas. Does this mean the Jets are getting rid of Mangini? This is all kinds of good for the Patriots, no matter what. Like who cares about the Jets anyway, but someday they may rise again. Callahan?

Last edited:
The guy that failed with the Raiders and got fired by the U. of Nebraska? The title Asst Head Coach has been used for head coach in waiting, as in Jason Garrett in Dallas. Does this mean the Jets are getting rid of Mangini? This is all kinds of good for the Patriots, no matter what. Like who cares about the Jets anyway, but someday they may rise again. Callahan?
Mangini is on thin ice and a repeat of this years results will have him on a fast train out of town. Eric's going to have to deliver or his days are over as HC NYJ.

Worst thing for a new coach to do is come in and overachieve. It totally messes with perceptions and expectations, you lose draft positioning, etc. If you come into a bad situation and stink for 2 years, you can blame it on the mess you inherited. After that, any improvement makes you look good. If you do well right off the bat, that's where the bar is raised to, and not improving after that makes you look bad. It's kinda funny, if you think about it.

I don't know, I don't really see this as a shot at Mangini. No one in their right mind is giving Callahan a head coaching job anytime soon. But Callahan is a good offensive minded coordinator, so this is a good hire.

Edit: Wait, what part of the offense is Callahan going to be coaching? The Jets still have the younger Shottenheimer as coordinator I think.

Last edited:
Mangini is on thin ice and a repeat of this years results will have him on a fast train out of town. Eric's going to have to deliver or his days are over as HC NYJ.
You think so? What happened to Mangenious? Doesn't take long, huh? And of course, the guy burned any bridge he may have had back to N.E., and probably anywhere else as nobody likes rats.

assisstant head coach does not mean head coach in waiting. daunte scarnechia is the pats assisstant head coach and has been for a while, doesnt mean he'll take over when BB steps down.

assisstant head coach does not mean head coach in waiting. daunte scarnechia is the pats assisstant head coach and has been for a while, doesnt mean he'll take over when BB steps down.
You're right about Scarnecchia's title. I didn't know. Garrett is definitely "in waiting" for the Cowboys though, maybe not Callahan in NY. Still, why do they bring in a 2-time loser and make him assistant head coach, whatever it means.

Bill Callahan? THE Bill Callahan??

oh

we are DOOMED

Bill Callahan? THE Bill Callahan??

oh

we are DOOMED

No sh!t. His Nebraska team gives up 72 points in a game and the Jesters hire him. I should go back into coaching. Dayum.

No sh!t. His Nebraska team gives up 72 points in a game and the Jesters hire him. I should go back into coaching. Dayum.

Well, I don't think Callahan was hired for the defensive side of the ball.

If the Jests plan on keeping Opie at QB, then Callahan might not be a bad addition as an OC or QB coach or something. His west coast offense would be a good fit for Opie.

Its really a shot at the OC, Marty Jr.
You already have an offensive coordinator, so when you bring one in to supervise him, you call him AHC of NYJ.

ha!...Its January, and it feels like Christmas!

This guy is a loser!

Last edited:
Worst thing for a new coach to do is come in and overachieve. It totally messes with perceptions and expectations, you lose draft positioning, etc. If you come into a bad situation and stink for 2 years, you can blame it on the mess you inherited. After that, any improvement makes you look good. If you do well right off the bat, that's where the bar is raised to, and not improving after that makes you look bad. It's kinda funny, if you think about it.

Makes sense...

"The Jets must be the DUMBEST team in America......."

If the Jests plan on keeping Opie at QB, then Callahan might not be a bad addition as an OC or QB coach or something. His west coast offense would be a good fit for Opie.

Hopefully he can get his QB to throw 5 interceptions in a big game again. Maybe against us.

How many college coaches have made the jump to an effective coach in the NFL??, most seem to fail or at least flounder.. do not understand why the Jets did this..

Callahan is amazing. Remember Super Bowl XXXVII when he didn't bother changing the Raiders playbook even though Gruden was on the other sidelines? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes