PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jerry wants McFadden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would the Pats get more for McFadden than the Dolphins would likely demand?

"But the phins won't pick mcfadden, so no one will ask them for their pick!".

THey might. But even if it is KNOWN that they won't, it would still make sense to trade for Miami's pick and pick him rather than trading with NE and paying MORE than what Miami would want.

If Miami would take Dallas' two #1 picks, then that puts a cap on what NE would be offered.

"But 2 #1s isn't enough for the #1 pick in the DRAFT!! According to the CHART."

If Miami wants to take it then it is enough.

As for BArber I doubt they trade him, he'd work well with McFadden who would be a rookie. And after that he's a FA, so if we DID get Barber, we'd have to pay him huge money. Why not draft a RB in round 4 who is as good as he is?

It's not if NE will take Mcfadden....it's if that #3 team will pick him and will someone in the top ten want to jump ahead of that #3 overall?

It's not if NE will take Mcfadden....it's if that #3 team will pick him and will someone in the top ten want to jump ahead of that #3 overall?

Right, they could do that (jump ahead of #3) by trading for #2. Or by trading for #1. In fact if they get the #1 pick, then they are assured of McFadden, otherwise Miami might take him...or trade the pick to someone who would.

So the surest bet is to offer Miami what you'd offer NE. If they take it then you have no risk. You'd have Mcfadden.

So the thought that "Miami won't pick him so they won't bother trying to trade with Miami", is wrong.

Right, they could do that (jump ahead of #3) by trading for #2. Or by trading for #1. In fact if they get the #1 pick, then they are assured of McFadden, otherwise Miami might take him...or trade the pick to someone who would.

So the surest bet is to offer Miami what you'd offer NE. If they take it then you have no risk. You'd have Mcfadden.

So the thought that "Miami won't pick him so they won't bother trying to trade with Miami", is wrong.

very true. there is not much added incentive to trade with Miami when you could trade with NE for a cheaper price.

I'd like to see them pick up a 2nd rounder or even trade 2nd rounders with a team and pick up a first rounder this year while moving down in the first round this year. that seems the most advantageous.

Miami is the team that gets the shot here. Our only chance, I think, is that after the Ginn debacle last year the Dolphins may need to get "Draft Chart" value for the pick whereas Belichick can do whatever he wants. So I could see a scenario where we get the trade down that Miami wants to take but can't for PR reasons. We need Cincy to win tonight though.

That would be an awesome deal. I'd take both number one's, Marion Barber or Kevin Burnett (very good coverage LB).

Barber is the perfect RB for the Patriots. Runs with authority and hates getting tackled. He does everything in his power to break tackles.

However, I think it would in the Dolphins best interest to take that deal.

Why would the Cowboys want to pay McFadden the #1 overall salary when they can get him and pay him the #2 overall salary?

Why would the Cowboys want to pay McFadden the #1 overall salary when they can get him and pay him the #2 overall salary?

i think those two salaries are very close either way...wut russell was paid was close to wut calvin was paid if i remember correctly...

then how aobut this? our first round pick, for Dallas' two first rounders, and bobby carpenter? (as long as BB thinks he can play ILB in our system)

and then if we dont want one of those 1st round picks closer to the end of the draft, we can always exchange with a team so we can get one for next yr....

it sound very plausible to me

They wouldn't but if they think someone else may trade up for McFadden they may have no choice.

FWIW (not all that much):

http://www.gbnreport.com/tradevaluetable.html
#2 2600 pts

#22 780
#31 600
#22 + #31 = 1380
2600 - 1380 = 1220 (equivalent to the #11 pick)

So, is Barber worth roughly the #11 pick in the draft?!? Maybe. Remember the cap room may be roughly equivalent too (#2 = #22 + #31 + Barber) since Barber will want good money, though the Patriots would be able to spread this cap money over three players instead of one.
Thanks.

Looks to me like both teams would be getting good value if the proposed deal went down as such.

Excellent.

They wouldn't but if they think someone else may trade up for McFadden they may have no choice.
Miami's organization is too stupid to pull off a trade for McFadden, BF. :p

We need to trade down a few spots. Take a lb de or ot..... Nab some extra picks.

In the second round pick up Jonathan Stewart. 230 lb back from Oregon. Speed power and great vision. He runs a 4.4 forty at 230 lbs. Stewart also returned kicks for the ducks. Think about that. A 230 pound in between the tackles runner effective taking back kicks. He burned people so many times.

Versatile and explosive. I hope to god beli takes this kid. Sadly his stock will rise on draft day.

Last edited:
Vernon Gholston gives us a big physical speciman
??? Gholston is undersized. For the Pats, who have bigger LBs than most teams, he'd play more safety than LB. Compare him to Don Davis.

??? Gholston is undersized. For the Pats, who have bigger LBs than most teams, he'd play more safety than LB. Compare him to Don Davis.

Gholston is already bigger then Vrabel. Gholston is 6'4 264. The kids young. Undersized? He is bigger then Vrabel, 14 lbs heavier then Teddy, and only 8 lbs lighter then Thomas. Not to mention Taller. The kid is what 10 years younger then all of them?

He is not to small at all. a 6'4 265 lb saftey. Rightttttttttttttttttttt

Last edited:
Admittedly I haven't seen him but he's listed at Vrabel's size - 6'4", 258. Not undersized and certainly not a Safety.

In the second round pick up Jonathan Stewart. 230 lb back from Oregon. Speed power and great vision. He runs a 4.4 forty at 230 lbs. Stewart also returned kicks for the ducks. Think about that. A 230 pound in between the tackles runner effective taking back kicks. He burned people so many times.
I like Stewart but we have Maroney/Morris/Faulk all signed for several more years. No need for Stewart.

Admittedly I haven't seen him but he's listed at Vrabel's size - 6'4", 258. Not undersized and certainly not a Safety.

Gholston is 6'4 264 already. Anyone calling him small , or a saftey , does not know what they are talking about.

I like Stewart but we have Maroney/Morris/Faulk all signed for several more years. No need for Stewart.

I would like to replace Eckel with Stewart. Faulk is not going to be around forever. If Maroney stays on the team I see him replacing Faulk.

We need a power back. Stewart could have time to work in slowley , and if anyone is injured he could be a real weapon to have on reserve.

Dont forget he could play st and return kicks also.

If stewart is there late in the second I think you have to pull the trigger. Chances are he will not be there.

I would like to replace Eckel with Stewart. Faulk is not going to be around forever. If Maroney stays on the team I see him replacing Faulk.

We need a power back. Stewart could have time to work in slowley , and if anyone is injured he could be a real weapon to have on reserve.

Dont forget he could play st and return kicks also.

If stewart is there late in the second I think you have to pull the trigger. Chances are he will not be there.
I agree that it's moot because he won't be there. I also agree that I'd like a better RB to replace Eckel - one FB (Evans) is enough. However unless it's a great value I would prefer a low level FA or lower round pick, I'm not excited about a #2 pick on a RB.

I agree that it's moot because he won't be there. I also agree that I'd like a better RB to replace Eckel - one FB (Evans) is enough. However unless it's a great value I would prefer a low level FA or lower round pick, I'm not excited about a #2 pick on a RB.

I expect his stock to rise big time draft day. If he was there late second I think you have to do it. Like you said its a moot point though. I could see him lasting until the mid second round. But def not the bottom.

I am also not excited about a running back with the number two pick.

if we're thinking fb, look out for that kid from wv, schmitt. that kid is a monstah.

Last edited:

Huh?......

Vernon's a somewhat raw college DE/LB, who some project at OLB in a 3-4 defense. I think he seems like more of a 4-3 DE, and he's not as polished some some other prospects. I need to see him in coverage more as well, so I'll have a more complete opinion of his ability to play as an every down LB around draft time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey