PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jerry wants McFadden

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
FYI-this isn't the first time I've heard this rumbling. Personally, I would prefer to get a blue-chip CB/deep play WR with our 2 #1's.

However-considering that when Jerry makes known his "desires", he's speaking the truth 9/10 times, sadly(i.e. 2 years ago after TO got kicked off the Eagles, he did the same thing).

Anyhow-just for fun-what do you think of this deal b/w your team and mine...both of our #1's, and assuming Asante bolts, add Terrence Newman to this mix(he has 1 year left in his K)?

BTW-Barber is going to be an RFA.

From Dec. 14, ESPN Tip Sheet:

Jonesing for McFadden?: Ol' buddy Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News twice now has suggested, in print and in a pregame discussion at Gillette Stadium last Sunday afternoon, that Jerry Jones might be interested in cutting a deal in the 2008 draft to land Arkansas tailback Darren McFadden, who is expected to forego his remaining college eligibility and enter next April's lottery.

"Goose" makes a pretty compelling case, and lays out a scenario that bears watching. Courtesy of a 2007 draft day trade with Cleveland, the deal that allowed the Browns to select Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn, the Cowboys own two first-round choices in 2008.

And the Dallas roster has just enough depth at a few positions that Jones probably could afford to throw a pretty good player into the mix of any trade proposal. The Miami Dolphins, who can clinch the top overall pick with a loss at Baltimore on Sunday, are more than one player away from even basic respectability, and might bite at the opportunity to turn the top overall choice into a draft bonanza.

Plus, the Dolphins already have invested heavily in a tailback, Ronnie Brown, and might not need McFadden, especially if Brown is making good progress in his rehabilitation from anterior cruciate ligament surgery.

The Cowboys, no matter who has coached them, never really have embraced Julius Jones, and the veteran tailback is eligible for unrestricted free agency in the spring. Marion Barber is a terrific back, and is starting to get the bulk of the carries, but will be a restricted free agent.

And as good as Barber is, most scouts don't rate him in the class of McFadden, who some suggest will be as good as Adrian Peterson, this year's running back phenomenon. Jones always has been a mover and shaker in the draft, a guy hardly shy about taking risks, and he is adept at going up and down the board. Could be that, in 4 ½ months, he'll try to get all the way to the top of the board.

i wanted to resist trade talk before the end of the season but cant in this case..pats should trade their 1 and for the cowboys 1 and marion barber and get the former gophers reunited .

Both 1st's and Barber outta do it. :cool:

I'd love it. Would absolutely jump for joy. But no one else can imagine it happening. Reunite the Gopher backfield and have two mid-to-late 1sts to boot. It would be a dream come true.

Sounds interesting. I'm losing my appetite for using that pick ourselves as the cap implication sink in.

I'd even thrown in Kyle Eckel.

That would be an awesome deal. I'd take both number one's, Marion Barber or Kevin Burnett (very good coverage LB).

Barber is the perfect RB for the Patriots. Runs with authority and hates getting tackled. He does everything in his power to break tackles.

However, I think it would in the Dolphins best interest to take that deal.

Last edited:
i wanted to resist trade talk before the end of the season but cant in this case..pats should trade their 1 and for the cowboys 1 and marion barber and get the former gophers reunited .

You're getting cheated. A RFA and a 1st rounder for the #2 in the draft?

Last edited:
We need to get both # 1's, Barber and a LB'er from Dallas.

Jones will be very "co-operative" because he will have a huge man crush on McFadden, esp. since he is a Razorback supporter.

Makes no sense for Miami, makes all the sense in the world for us. I'd like to see McFadden in a blue jersey, but I would take Barber and the Cleveland pick in a heartbeat. Wow. That would be a horrible deal for Dallas.

Miami is the obvious training partner for Dallas (2 firsts plus additional compensation).

Reiss seems to think if we keep the pick it will be for an OL or DL.

We need to get both # 1's, Barber and a LB'er from Dallas.

Oh-forgot about Bobby Carpenter. Even though he may be perceived as "bust" here-Parcells' biggest mistake was trying to make him a pass-rushing OLB(in reality, he's an ILB).

If/when he gets a chance to play ILB somewhere else, he'll shine-should make a very good replacement for Bruschki.

Oh my, I would shyt my pants if they ever got Barber, that kid is an animal!

Last edited:
I am fine with moving down, but not very far. There are at least five really great picks in the top five. We are a top team. This is the time to add a top player. We likely will be able to pick up a 2nd to move down, staying in the top 10.

Dorsey DT
Long OT
Laurenaitis ILB
Long DE
McFadden RB

Reiss seems to think if we keep the pick it will be for an OL or DL.

FWIW (not all that much):

http://www.gbnreport.com/tradevaluetable.html
#2 2600 pts

#22 780
#31 600
#22 + #31 = 1380
2600 - 1380 = 1220 (equivalent to the #11 pick)

So, is Barber worth roughly the #11 pick in the draft?!? Maybe. Remember the cap room may be roughly equivalent too (#2 = #22 + #31 + Barber) since Barber will want good money, though the Patriots would be able to spread this cap money over three players instead of one.

Oh my, I would shyt my pants if they ever got Barber, that kid is an animal!
I thinkThats more than I need to know. But Barber and Maroney back toghether again would be great. :rocker:

Let's give 'em Big Sey, & the #2
for
Barber, Ware, and 2 picks.

The Cowboys only spent a fourth rounder on Barber, he splits carries with Julius Jones, and he's an RFA. They'd be more willing to move him than some of you realize, especially if McFadden was coming back in return.

Frankly, Barber and just Cleveland's first round pick wouldn't be enough, and I'd expect the Cowboys already know this.

I'd personally take the Cowboys two picks, and Barber, but I'm not Scott Pioli.

For an earlier poster, I too think Bobby Carpenter would make a nice ILB in NE's system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes