PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jeff Fisher and Titans to part ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one in the NFL works the media better than Fisher. The outrage they will show over the next few days towards Bud Adams will be fierce. The truth of course is Fisher has only been to the playoffs 6 times in 16 years and has just 2 winning records and no playoff wins in the last 7 seasons. That resume would get every NFL coach fired but he gives great quotes and at the end of the day the Peter King's of the world care about that above all else.
Well-said. He's way overrated, in my opinion.

No one in the NFL works the media better than Fisher.

And the league offices.
What were his teams known for, besides being dirty?
Jekyll and Hyde character, plays all nice to the cameras,
I always saw smoke coming out his ears.
It is okay to think you are smartest guy in the room.
If you are.

There was no reason for him to publicly duel with Vince.
His need to demonstrate his strength there revealed his weakness.
Ego gets in the way.

There are currently no vacancies to be filled. I'm sure one of the networks will find him a slot until 2012.

Apparently he didn't want to be a lame duck HC on a team with no viable QB, and Bud wasn't offering him an extension. I recall reading a while back that Floyd's wife Sally went on the air in Tennessee after they cut Floyd loose and painted all of them as backstabbing snakes in the grass. Said Floyd had essentially saved Fisher butt more than once over the years only to allow Floyd to take the fall for an increasing number of Fisher's and Adam's decisions not panning out. Bet she's dancin' a jig tonight.

The most interesting thing to come out of this will be to see who Polian engineers onto the Competition Committee to maintain his voting block...

Last edited:
I understand your thought, but I tend to disagree. While cleaning house can be good just for a fresh start, I believe this example sends the wrong message. This has become a Jeff Fisher vs. Vince Young story, and it's unfortunate that the player won out.

What he said ........................... :yeahthat:

If Fisher was smart, he'd take the year off.

Absolutely ... a great GM to work with and a hands off owner wouldn't be so bad either.

The most interesting part of this is that Fisher was co chair of the Competiton Committee and a powerful member. Now that he is no longer a coach, it opens up a position. I wonder if this is the time for Robert Kraft to lobby for Jonathon Kraft for a position on the committee to get some experience and act as a counterweight to Bill Pollian.
The 8 members are Rich McKay (Atl), Fisher, Marvin Lewis, Stephen Jones (Jerry's son),Pollian, Ozzie Newsome, John Mara (Wellington's son) and Rick smith (Texans)

Tennessee is another team that gives their coaches very little say about "shopping for the groceries". The Titans would have been better off getting rid of the owners and keeping the coach.

Like an extra coach on the field.
But can he rush the passer?

According to Don Banks, it seemed that senior management wanted him to can Chuck Cecil- the DC. Also, he had one year left on his deal. With that said, it seemed to be a mutual but semi-gentle push out the door.

A step in the right direction imo. Clean house new coach & a new qb. Fisher is a decent coach but the titans have gone nowhere since super bowl 34. That 13-3 team in 08 was pretty good though but went one & done.

in the div game vs BAL, Chris Johnson got hurt in the first 1/2 and couldn't return to the game. Up to that point he was running that defense ragged.

He plays, they win and host Pitt in the AFCCG.

Tennessee is another team that gives their coaches very little say about "shopping for the groceries". The Titans would have been better off getting rid of the owners and keeping the coach.

Bud Adams is a poor man's Al Davis. Difference is while Davis at least started out as a football guy, Bud started out as the trust fund kid of a wealthy oilman.

Funny how the two franchises that pretty much started the AFL, and who won multiple titles during that league's 10 years, have both been largely unremarkable since the merger.

in the div game vs BAL, Chris Johnson got hurt in the first 1/2 and couldn't return to the game. Up to that point he was running that defense ragged.

He plays, they win and host Pitt in the AFCCG.

Interesting, didn't see that whole game so didn't know that. Still though if Fisher was a great coach he'd have his team in the playoffs more often than twice since 2004.

The impression I get is Fisher is not criticized more because he does not have full personnel control and it's considered that he makes the most out of what he is given.

Clearly it was time for Adams and Fisher to part, Fisher didn't want to quit because it would leave money on the table but didn't want to be a lame duck coach. Adams didn't want to fire Fisher and pay him for not coaching but didn't want him there. Also he probably didn't want the impression that either a player ( Young) or a coach (Fisher) would force his hand in decisions. So both had to go. I'm guessing there was a buyout. Not the full contract but something for the close to 20 years of service that Fisher gave that organization.

Sometimes even if you have a good coach, it's time for a change. Fisher does have deficiencies as a head coach, no doubt, but his teams IMHO always play hard and are prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes