PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jay Cutler benched

I can lots of benefits.

1) As Patchick stated above, Cutler's 2015 salary is only guaranteed for injury, so this gives them flexibility to cut Jay if no viable trade offers are available.

2) If Clausen somehow looks competent, Jay looks like a convenient fall guy allowing Trestman to keep his job.

3) There are rumors that Jay lost the confidence of the locker room, and/or that he's not following the playbook properly, so maybe Trestman is forced to do it or risk appearing too timid to be respected leader.

I can't really see how this hurts their chances of trading Jay. He's too well known in the league for a game or two at the end of the year to really sway anyone's opinion of him. It's not like he was going to light up Detroit playing behind that OL, either.

Frankly, I'm only surprised that it didn't happen sooner. No, check that, I'm also surprised that they signed him in the first place. I wouldn't have given Cutler Matt Cassel's contract, let alone the one he actually got.

All that said, I have to admit that Jay came off very impressive in his press conference yesterday. He was very supportive of Jimmy, admitted he didn't take the news well, refused to get into a pissing match with Trestman and took a good portion of the blame for his benching.
Im pretty sure that Cutler has $19.5 million in dead money no matter what and you lose trade value for him by benching him. Clausen wont look competent, so you lose trade value and save $0.00

Im pretty sure that Cutler has $19.5 million in dead money no matter what and you lose trade value for him by benching him. Clausen wont look competent, so you lose trade value and save $0.00

Cutler has additional money that will become guaranteed if he is injured, so the fact that the situation isn't ideal doesn't mean it can't get worse.

Cutler's trade value only worsens if Clausen looks good, so I disagree with you on both parts.

Cutler has additional money that will become guaranteed if he is injured, so the fact that the situation isn't ideal doesn't mean it can't get worse.

Cutler's trade value only worsens if Clausen looks good, so I disagree with you on both parts.
I also think that Cutler's trade value worsens if Clausen looks good but it isnt really helped if Clausen looks bad either.

I also think that Cutler's trade value worsens if Clausen looks good but it isnt really helped if Clausen looks bad either.

Cutler's trade value is all about teams who think they can be the difference maker for him. The next two games aren't going to make any difference at all, as far as that goes.

The funny thing is, people seem to think that if Cutler had played like Rodgers they would have a chance as if their defense isn't pure garbage.

The funny thing is, people seem to think that if Cutler had played like Rodgers they would have a chance as if their defense isn't pure garbage.

It's certainly true with regards to what would have happened last season and the 2012 season.

As for this season, the the only wins the Bears have are from games where the defense has held the opponent to 20 points or fewer.

So, yeah, if Cutler were to play like Rodgers, the Bears would likely have had a chance this year, too.

I remember when they gave him that contract I was like, WHAT?

then I went to a bears board and they were all celebrating and fireworks everywhere, some people really deserve to **** themselves

Trestman looks like he should be coaching a chess club, not an nfl football team.

Trestman looks like he should be coaching a chess club, not an nfl football team.

Trestman looked just fine last year, when McCown was able to get the job done.

Are we really allowed to say that after 2011?

The reason Cutler sucks is the same reason why benching him will have no effect on him.

He doesn't care.

Are we really allowed to say that after 2011?

We were incredibly successful in this year despite the defense. The Bears are simply a garbage fire in any phase of the game. Don't see what the problem is.

The reason Cutler sucks is the same reason why benching him will have no effect on him.

He doesn't care.

This tells you all you need to know:

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Despite coach Marc Trestman benching him just 14 games into a seven-year, $126.7 million contract, quarterback Jay Cutler hopes to remain with the Bears, but he acknowledged Thursday "it definitely crossed my mind" that he has possibly played his final game with the team.

It "CROSSED HIS MIND???" So what the hell else was he thinking about while this thought about his very own professional survival "crossed his mind"? Cool Ranch Doritos?

The Chicago Bears with Jay Cutler are the NY Jets of the NFC North, and thanks to Cutler's contract they will stay that way for at least 2 more seasons. Packers own them, the Lions have surpassed them and the Vikings are on the verge of doing so with a young and talented defense and Teddy Bridgewater looking like he might be a decent QB.

I expect a fire sale in Chicago during the offseason starting with their GM. Fans in Chicago have turned against the whole lot of them. They are as pathetic as the Jets, and that's saying a lot.

We were incredibly successful in this year despite the defense. The Bears are simply a garbage fire in any phase of the game. Don't see what the problem is.
Well after 2011 I can't really say that we are allowed to say that a great QB can't drag a piss poor defense to the super bowl. If Cutler played like Rodgers then he would be able to drag that team a long way, even if the defense stinks.

Well after 2011 I can't really say that we are allowed to say that a great QB can't drag a piss poor defense to the super bowl. If Cutler played like Rodgers then he would be able to drag that team a long way, even if the defense stinks.

I would argue that it was a mix of great QB, the no-huddle / 2TE offense and good special teams play that put us there. It can't be done by a QB alone.

If Cutler played like Rodgers, he wouldn't be in his current position.

I would argue that it was a mix of great QB, the no-huddle / 2TE offense and good special teams play that put us there. It can't be done by a QB alone.
I think the Bears could go far with a really good QB. They have Jeffery, Marshall, and Forte. Put Rodgers on that team and they are without a doubt in the playoffs.

Who cares? It is completely irrelevant.

The only thing that matters now is the jets giving up two firsts for Cutler. He is the perfect Jet. Plenty of talent, huge contract, and doesn't give a ****. It would be the perfect continuity of the Vick fiasco.

Just as hoping the greentards would trade for Tebow (and I'll admit it, I gave them enough credit that I didn't think they would be dumb enough to do it. Lesson learned), I don't think they are dumb enough to do it. Fortunately, they have proven time and time again that they a re that inept.

Another dumpster fire who would implode in green, kaepernick.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back