PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jags on officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, I'd think Colts fans would just embrace it and accept that their dome and the crowd (amplified or not...) is the 12th man, and that it has many benefits, including perhaps affecting the refs.

Yesterday, for instance, none of the calls were outright bad (as they were notable bad calls in the Pats or Steelers playoffs games in recent years), they were all borderline - and it's simply that they all ended up going in the Colts favor that guides me to the conclusion I've made. Or rather reinforces a conclusion I'd already made.

The fumble/not fumble/fumble/incomplete wasn't borderline. It was a completely fabricated call.

anyone remember it was in indy when pitt played them in the playoff when a manning INT to polamalu was reversed as a incomplete ..when it was so clear ?

Yes, horrible call, I mentioned that earlier. That in and of itself should have been enough to change the "football" move rule.

Last edited:
Yes, horrible call, I mentioned that earlier. That in and of itself should have been enough to change the "football" move rule.

do you also remember when the colts were called for offsides then the flag was picked up but no time was run of the clock or something like that ? cowher was furious on that call i remember.i dont remember the exact context.
i just think the refs feel a lot of polian pressure in the coming week when he sends in tapes and questions for the league ,that they overdo it ..maybe not intentionally.

do you also remember when the colts were called for offsides then the flag was picked up but no time was run of the clock or something like that ? cowher was furious on that call i remember.i dont remember the exact context.
i just think the refs feel a lot of polian pressure in the coming week when he sends in tapes and questions for the league ,that they overdo it ..maybe not intentionally.

I don't remember that, but I'm not going to do a back and forth about calls missed. To me, complaining about the refs is playing the victim, winners don't do that, usually losers.

I have no doubts that the officials are aware that Polian is one who sends a tape of missed calls to the league, pretty much every week I would guess. I think there is tons of validity to that, to make sure the refs are on their toes. I would hope it isn't true and I don't think they try to cheat in one way or another, but I can't discount your point on this.

Its strange in that, I think Cuban pulls this same stuff in the NBA, but I think it has the OPPOSITE effect, I think refs are like F you Cuban.

Even if this is true, which I don't disagree with you at all, if I was the other 31 teams seeing this as an advantage I would completely start doing it too.

Cowher was furious on the sidelines??? :D

I have no doubts that the officials are aware that Polian is one who sends a tape of missed calls to the league, pretty much every week I would guess. I think there is tons of validity to that, to make sure the refs are on their toes.

heh...yeah...Polian after the Pats game on HIS show..."I thought the calls in the game were pretty much fair except for a couple that were called on us"....just unbelievable that a GM could utter such preposterous nonsense after HIS team benefited from the most lopsided calls against in Patriot history.

Last edited:
Re: OT:Jags on officiating

They have every right to be incensed. That game was blatantly rigged. It was bought and paid for by Polian and/or Goodell as a gift for the Colts to make certain they got a good standing in the playoffs.

Anyone with more than two functioning brain cells, who watches Colts games, can easily see the favoritism desplayed towards them by the refs.

As long as Polian owns that team, this will continue.

Do you know how ignorant that makes you sound?

First of all, Polian is a GM, not an owner -he is effectively a head scout, in charge of personnel. He has neither the political power within the league nor the financial resources to carry the sort of influence you suggest. Are refs influenced by the crowd at Colts games, absolutely. Are refs being directed by the Commisioner? Do you believe in the Easter Bunny?

Do you know how ignorant that makes you sound?

First of all, Polian is a GM, not an owner -he is effectively a head scout, in charge of personnel. He has neither the political power within the league nor the financial resources to carry the sort of influence you suggest. Are refs influenced by the crowd at Colts games, absolutely. Are refs being directed by the Commisioner? Do you believe in the Easter Bunny?

I would think that the recent NBA revelations would be enough to keep people from making comments like yours. To think that the officials aren't vulnerable after that incident was exposed is to believe in the Easter Bunny, not the other way around.

I don't remember that, but I'm not going to do a back and forth about calls missed. To me, complaining about the refs is playing the victim, winners don't do that, usually losers. I sort of agree, but, believe me, I have NO brief for Jacksonville or whichever team it was that had a fifteen-yard roughing the kicker call against them (Atlanta?) when Hunter Smith collapsed in a heap on top of a guy lying on the ground. Such awful refereeing simply undermines the point of the game. I switched off and got on with other things on Sunday afternoon.

I have no doubts that the officials are aware that Polian is one who sends a tape of missed calls to the league, pretty much every week I would guess. Yikes! Some contradiction there with your first point? Unless every team does that or the person who does it has absolutely no influence on the league elsewhere, that is simply outrageous. The kind of move Alex Ferguson would be proud of -- I can say no worse. I think there is tons of validity to that, to make sure the refs are on their toes. I would hope it isn't true and I don't think they try to cheat in one way or another, but I can't discount your point on this.

Cowher was furious on the sidelines??? :D LOL!!!

sretcarahc net

Last edited:

Sour grapes. I would be willing to bet most every d-line does the same thing. And everyone knows the guy that retaliates is the one that gets called for it. You have to keep your head on straight when you are in a position to score.

I guess the favoritism was in full force when they blew the play dead when the Colts had a pick 6 and when they took Gonzalez's TD off the board for offensive PI? How about the missed defensive PI that was more blatent on the very next play? My point is there are calls or non-calls that go for both teams, if you are strictly looking for one side, that's all you will see.

BTW, Jim Irsay owns the Colts.

Wrong, trol...the Pats do. :rocker:

sretcarahc net

Thanks for pointing out the Polian discrepancey. I think he's a bully or tries to be, its pretty well documented that he is. I think the refs don't cheat because they are scared of him. However, I think they go the extra mile to be careful or are more nervous to try not to mess up and therefore do call a different game. I for sure don't think they cheat, I don't think Polian has a direct impact to get these calls. I do think every crew probably dreads doing Indy games cuz they know they are gonna get called out on poor calls.

Its strange in that, I think Cuban pulls this same stuff in the NBA, but I think it has the OPPOSITE effect, I think refs are like F you Cuban.

Right, the NBA, the league with the officiating scandal that included an incredibly poorly refereed game in the playoffs that was later revealed to be the result of an official who was taking money to rig the game by making bogus calls. That NBA. Don't ever use the NBA as an example if you're trying to defend the Colts and say that refs can't be bought.

Barking out offensive signals to try to draw a team offsides is illegal at any level of the game. It's unfortunate if the referees can't hear it, but maybe they should listen a little closer. I don't think the refs blatantly cheat for the Colts, but I do think they look away from some of the questionable Colts calls, and look closer on the questionable calls on their opponents. It's a double-standard, and it isn't fair, but it isn't illegal.

To be fair, you're one of the more level-headed Colts fans here.

Last edited:
Beside NE, I don't think ANY other team can beat the Colts at their home. With the bull crap officiating in favor of the Colts pretty much every time..that would be hella hard to beat them....To beat team.... a team need to beat the officials calling AND the team at the same time...which mean they have bring 110% whenever they play..... Which what the Pats did, and they won. I'm so glad...I'm so annoyed and pissed off at the officials whenever I watch the Colts game...It just not fair at all. I felt bad for Del Rio yesterday.

Right, the NBA, the league with the officiating scandal that included an incredibly poorly refereed game in the playoffs that was later revealed to be the result of an official who was taking money to rig the game by making bogus calls. That NBA. Don't ever use the NBA as an example if you're trying to defend the Colts and say that refs can't be bought.

Read my post again.

The point was that complaining seems to help the Colts in the NFL or at least not hurt them and it seems to hurt Cuban and the Mavs because he constantly complains, imho.

I hope that makes more sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes