PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's official, the Rex era is over in New Jersey

Rex Ryan's time was up, but I will never forget the 2011 divisonal playoff game, where he went into Foxborough and led his team to a victory. He will always have that over Bill and company.

I'm sure we would have loved the opportunity to go into the Meadowlands and beat your Jets in the playoffs. The only problem is your Jets never win the division.

Rex Ryan's time was up, but I will never forget the 2011 divisonal playoff game, where he went into Foxborough and led his team to a victory. He will always have that over Bill and company.

That really is something Ryan can be proud of. I think one of the reasons for that was because the Pats showed all of their cards to the Jets in the 45-3 romp earlier. I also didn't like the way the Pats mocked the Jets after that blowout. That didn't help any.

When Rex Ryan's name first came up as a HC candidate, the knock on him from some GM types was that he was a "loose cannon." They were right on the money.

He also hasn't appeared to improve as a HC. He was still making some of the same mistakes at the end as he was in the beginning. I also think he pouts and loses his cool too much on the sidelines.

The best advice I heard for Ryan (I think it was Jermaine Wiggins) was that he should take a year off and do some TV, but more importantly that he should really study offenses closely with a tutor and come back in a year as a HC. It makes sense.

I'm sure we would have loved the opportunity to go into the Meadowlands and beat your Jets in the playoffs. The only problem is your Jets never win the division.
Give credit where credit is due. That was a signature win for Rex, and that will never change (unless he wins a Superbowl as a HC). He's only one of two coaches to go in to Foxborough in the playoffs and take down the Pats. I'm not a Rex fan, but I will never forget that game or playoff run. It's just a shame, that we played poorly in the second half of the AFC Championship game vs Indy, and gave away an eleven point lead.

I believe Rex is a very good head coach, he got a bum rap in NY with a GM that could not get him any offensive players of worth. If the Jets had a QB, Rex would have made that team deadly. Rex's players always played hard for him and he got the most out of that team.

Hmmm....clock is ticking on the "Rex to Denver!" "Rex to Indianapolis!" "Rex to fill in the blank AFC playoff team!"....

"Mike, I have to say it, but Rex OWNS Brady! He OWNS him, Mike!" "Elway would be STOOOPID not to bring in Rex, STOOOPID Mike!" "If anyone can beat the Pats in January in Foxboro it's Rex, Mike!" "He's done it already Mike!"

Give credit where credit is due. That was a signature win for Rex, and that will never change (unless he wins a Superbowl as a HC). He's only one of two coaches to go in to Foxborough in the playoffs and take down the Pats. I'm not a Rex fan, but I will never forget that game or playoff run. It's just a shame, that we played poorly in the second half of the AFC Championship game vs Indy, and gave away an eleven point lead.

Nearly half a century & counting of excuses & rationale of Jests not getting to the SB

SOJ infinite loop

And that ↑ (post 23), in a nutshell is the difference between Ryan and better coaches. His entire focus was to catch up to and pass the Patriots, rather than on improving the team as a whole and winning a Super Bowl. The one time Ryan accomplished his goal he was completely unprepared for the next step. That filtered down to his team, who spent too much time celebrating what was to them their Super Bowl; the result was a lack of focus necessary to take the next step and win the next game.

The ensuing drop to mediocrity and irrelevance was not surprising in the least; in fact, it would have been very shocking if it did not happen.

Did they get a ring out of it? Didn't think so.

Did they get a ring out of it? Didn't think so.
Well I guess the Pats haven't had success in a decade, since they haven't won a SB, right?

Like it or not, Rex will always be remembered for that game, and you'll never forget that game.

Seems like a perfect fit in Chicago. That entire franchise prides itself on having a great defense, no offense, and a bunch of loudmouths talking their way to mediocrity.

Well I guess the Pats haven't had success in a decade, since they haven't won a SB, right?

Like it or not, Rex will always be remembered for that game, and you'll never forget that game.
Most people couldn't tell you who won the Super Bowl 2 years ago. It might be a big memory for Jets fans since it's their biggest win in decades but to everyone else it's just a forgettable division games that happened years ago. It's like saying people will always remember the team that beat the Colts in the playoffs in 2008 (I really don't know)- no they won't, nobody cares unless they're a SB winner.

Most people couldn't tell you who won the Super Bowl 2 years ago. It might be a big memory for Jets fans since it's their biggest win in decades but to everyone else it's just a forgettable division games. It's like saying people will always remember the team that beat the Colts in the playoffs in 2008 (I really don't know)- no they won't, nobody cares unless they're a SB winner.
That was a divisonal playoff game , between two heated rivals. A game where the Patriots were the heavy favorites. Listen all I said was that he'd always have that win over Bill and company. And that is absolutely true, whether you like it or not. And everyone remembers that the Chargers took down the Colts; the Chargers were an 8- 8 team!

I believe Rex is a very good head coach, he got a bum rap in NY with a GM that could not get him any offensive players of worth. If the Jets had a QB, Rex would have made that team deadly. Rex's players always played hard for him and he got the most out of that team.
There's literally no evidence anywhere to support the assertion that Rex was a QB away from making any Jets team dominant, or that he's even a competent head coach.

There is, however, a lot of evidence that he is a horrible head coach and an overrated DC, to boot.

Here's the difference:

For Jet fans, that game is the first one they will remember. It is (sadly) as good as it ever got for them in their entire lifetimes.

For most Patriot fans, that game is way, way, way down the list of games that we ever think about or remember. The only ones who will 'never forget that game' are psychotic debbie downers who only focus on the negative and see life as a glass that is half empty.

There's literally no evidence anywhere to support the assertion that Rex was a QB away from making any Jets team dominant, or that he's even a competent head coach.

There is, however, a lot of evidence that he is a horrible head coach and an overrated DC, to boot.

back to back AFC Championship games with Sanchez as the QB.

Whatever, if you don't think that is a worthy accomplishment.....meh

back to back AFC Championship games with Sanchez as the QB.

Whatever, if you don't think that is a worthy accomplishment.....meh

Thanks to two wildly-talented defenses, not Mark Sanchez or Rex Ryan. Defenses which Rex ruined, by the way.

It's an accomplishment, yes, but I don't see how that outweighs the following four years.

Sad day for us Pats fans. He exemplified the Jets perfectly. Will be hard to find a bigger clown to lead that circus.

Thanks to two wildly-talented defenses, not Mark Sanchez or Rex Ryan. Defenses which Rex ruined, by the way.

It's an accomplishment, yes, but I don't see how that outweighs the following four years.

His defenses have always been good, even without much talent. I never said he was a good GM, just a good coach.

Those offenses have been terrible. Lacking in OL talent for much of his tenure...receiver talent is a joke, running backs or TE?

I have no idea what the GM was thinking when putting that offense together.

Heck, they held the Patriots to 17 points, with nothing but duct tape and old men

I'm sure Bill is thinking about that as he starts preparing for the divisional round lol.

Here's the difference:

For Jet fans, that game is the first one they will remember. It is (sadly) as good as it ever got for them in their entire lifetimes.

For most Patriot fans, that game is way, way, way down the list of games that we ever think about or remember. The only ones who will 'never forget that game' are psychotic debbie downers who only focus on the negative and see life as a glass that is half empty.

i.e., a small percentage of posters on this board.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back